Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
I just want you to know what strong US Dollar will do to Asia.
Dollar has been strong in Asia. This is a recording.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:14 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
We'll see what happens. The Fed always says they have everything under control, until they don't. But it's never their fault by stopping and starting the money spigot at the wrong time.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,222,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
OP, you either

- don't understand that we live in a global economy, just not an isolated US economy and every major central bank printed money including US. If US does roll back fed balance sheet in isolation, it will not end up well because US export will hurt.

- have been sitting on cash hoping for a crash in asset prices and just bitter that it didn't happen.

Either way, I'm happy that you are not in charge of Fed.
Who cares about a global economy. Have you been listening to our president recently? America first!!! I don't understand how so many people think that inflating the global markets is the job of the FED, even as it destroys the Dollar, which is the foundation of our civilization.

Powell's UNWIND is killing China, which we want, right? He needs to keep UNWINDING the FED balance sheet, which strengthens the Dollar. This will unwind the global debt bubble. The FED fixed the whole world's problem from 2001-2016. Now it needs to FIX America's problem, which was created by the FED's 2001-2016 FIX.

Good Luck!!!

Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Dollar has been strong in Asia. This is a recording.
This means deflation in Asia, and in any foreign land that borrowed too many cheap dollars.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:44 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
This means deflation in Asia, and in any foreign land that borrowed too many cheap dollars.
Latest inflation rates:

China 2.5
Japan 1.2
Singapore 0.7
Thailand 1.2
Indonesia 3.1
Malaysia 0.3
etc.

Given the dollar has been strong for years, you conclusion that a strong dollar causes deflation in Asia don't align with reality.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:55 AM

445 posts, read 413,223 times
Quote:
Who cares about a global economy. Have you been listening to our president recently? America first!!! I don't understand how so many people think that inflating the global markets is the job of the FED, even as it destroys the Dollar, which is the foundation of our civilization.

Powell's UNWIND is killing China, which we want, right? He needs to keep UNWINDING the FED balance sheet, which strengthens the Dollar. This will unwind the global debt bubble. The FED fixed the whole world's problem from 2001-2016. Now it needs to FIX America's problem, which was created by the FED's 2001-2016 FIX.

Good Luck!!!

So my assumption #1 is correct. You don't get it. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
So my assumption #1 is correct. You don't get it. Good luck.
I don't get it, but you do . Tell me then, is it possible to Grow our way out of the largest debt in the history of the world???? As we grow, interest rates will rise, and this will choke off fuel for more growth. Could we lower rates instead? And generate more debt? We could. But that will lead to the death of the economy. ZIRP might be the best thing for preserving the status quo today, but it would lead to the eventual death of the system.

All organisms breathe. We don't think of the economy as an organism, but we should. It needs to breathe also.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:42 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
I don't get it, but you do . Tell me then, is it possible to Grow our way out of the largest debt in the history of the world???? As we grow, interest rates will rise, and this will choke off fuel for more growth. Could we lower rates instead? And generate more debt? We could. But that will lead to the death of the economy. ZIRP might be the best thing for preserving the status quo today, but it would lead to the eventual death of the system.

All organisms breathe. We don't think of the economy as an organism, but we should. It needs to breathe also.
If debt is the largest ever, that means assets are also at their highest.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
If debt is the largest ever, that means assets are also at their highest.
All asset prices are in a bubble, overvalued and overinflated.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM

445 posts, read 413,223 times
Quote:

The discussion was about printing money. US printed 3 times the money it had before. All other central banks printed 3 times the money they had before. Let's assume all assets are now 3 times more expensive now (not exactly true but close). Nothing really changed relatively speaking, and as a whole other than for people sitting on cash this whole time. Their dollars are 1/3rd the value now.

Say I did not sit on cash and invested in stock or housing assets. I have 3 times the dollars each having 1/3rd the purchasing power of pre-runup value. Nothing changed for me.

For people involved in foreign trade, nothing changed because the relative value of dollar with respect to other foreign currency is the same as before.

There is a reason for other central banks to print money when US started this. Their currency was becoming expensive w.r.t. USD and that was hurting their exports. They had to dilute their currency by the same amount, if not more.

Now Fed starts shrinking balance sheet (destroy money) and if other central banks do not follow, USD will get more expensive compared to other currencies. US treasury will have to pay back debts with expensive dollars, even for previous debt with lower interest rates. Tell me how this will be helping us grow out of debt.

In one sentence you say that you don't care about global economy and then in the next sentence you talk about growing out of global debt. You and your genius president may not care about global anything but the world does not run based on your theories.

It's always easier to pay back debt with inflated money, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics