U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 07:42 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,413,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
People have different reasons for living where they live. Most seniors (including me) like to be near large cities for their medical needs. Others simply can't handle winter weather and the snow. I personally hate the heat and the humidity. I've had heat exhaustion and I get sick in high heat. Where in the US does that leave me to live? My cousin had a problem with her eyes and needed to live where there was moisture so her eyes wouldn't dry out. Some people have allergies.

Some want more choices than are offered in small towns. Some people need to rely on family members for child care or money or a place to crash in an emergency. Some people like to have their children have more choices in their lives in terms of jobs, schooling, or activities.

Straight white people can settle just about anywhere. If you're Muslim, African American, Native American, Hispanic, or gay, sure, you can go where it's cheaper to live. But will you be welcome there?

My parents went to live in a small town outside Dubuque, Iowa once. If you shut your curtains at night, people thought you had something to hide. They said they'd serve African Americans, but then throw out the dishes and silverware afterwards. The local school taught no languages. My brothers were the only two kids in the higher math class. When my dad's appendix burst, he had to suffer through a 40 mile ambulance ride over curvy roads to the nearest hospital.

Cheaper living, yes. But sometimes there's other things you pay that can't be measured in cost when you move into an area with a lower cost of living.
Everything you assumed above is wrong, insulting or racist. It's very sad. You must have a very narrow minded view of what the rest of the country is truly like.

And it's exactly wrong opinions like this that prevent some people from knowing they can improve their lives by moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM

65,877 posts, read 67,167,185 times
many do it and over come the obstacles .you will always have others succeed where those who fail don't see it was possible. that is why we have the have and the have nots in many cases .

Old 11-04-2018, 01:06 PM

5,048 posts, read 3,607,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
i'm surprised it's even that high. the jobs i'm seeing all over the place are paying about $30,000 for a full time job. $15,000 part time. no wonder more people are living in vans and cars. sound like a "great" economy to you?
Mainers earning minimum wage earn $20,000 a year--- by law.
That's not a lot, but it's FAR from destitute.
(I live in the most remote, rural part of the state; we are considered "poor" and our unemployment rate is 4%. That's pretty good. So yes, the economy is pretty good right now.)

Old 11-04-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but to be honest, I'm doing much better now than I was even a year ago. I have my own pay-as-you-go phone and I usually use that to receive calls on. Since I have a computer, I have Skype and I make all my outgoing calls on that.

I have a car, so that gets me where I need to go. Other than that, the only things I have as benefits are the $15 a month for food stamps I get and subsidized housing which I plan to move out of next March or April. I do a lot of cooking and follow the sales, so I can get by fine on about $170 a month for food.

Um, that few hundred for a U-Haul? I only moved two states away and rented a U-Haul with a trailer so I could tow my car. It was over $1000 for the truck with the mileage, so much for the trailer, my own gas, and insurance. I think it was over $1500 altogether. And that was in 2001.

I get Medicare and I pay the Medicare premiums. I have a Part D for prescriptions and end up paying about $5 to $8 a month for those. I have Part A with a $1400 deductible and a Part B with a $180 deductible. No dental or eye care included.

Normally I'd get gap coverage, but since I'm under 65, in my state there are only 3 gap plans that are available to me. The cheapest one costs almost $200 a month, so I'm going without gap coverage right now.

I just had two TIA episodes over the last couple of days and went to the ER by ambulance last night. So I guess I'll find out real soon how much of that Medicare covers.

People have different reasons for living where they live. Most seniors (including me) like to be near large cities for their medical needs. Others simply can't handle winter weather and the snow. I personally hate the heat and the humidity. I've had heat exhaustion and I get sick in high heat. Where in the US does that leave me to live? My cousin had a problem with her eyes and needed to live where there was moisture so her eyes wouldn't dry out. Some people have allergies.

Some want more choices than are offered in small towns. Some people need to rely on family members for child care or money or a place to crash in an emergency. Some people like to have their children have more choices in their lives in terms of jobs, schooling, or activities.

Straight white people can settle just about anywhere. If you're Muslim, African American, Native American, Hispanic, or gay, sure, you can go where it's cheaper to live. But will you be welcome there?

My parents went to live in a small town outside Dubuque, Iowa once. If you shut your curtains at night, people thought you had something to hide. They said they'd serve African Americans, but then throw out the dishes and silverware afterwards. The local school taught no languages. My brothers were the only two kids in the higher math class. When my dad's appendix burst, he had to suffer through a 40 mile ambulance ride over curvy roads to the nearest hospital.

Cheaper living, yes. But sometimes there's other things you pay that can't be measured in cost when you move into an area with a lower cost of living.
I hear what you are saying about moving. It's not always easy. But again, let's compare the poverty of 2018 to that of 1938. The Okees moved to California not because they wanted to, or because it was easy. They did it because they were in danger of starving to death. Their journey was grueling.

If I had to sell most of my stuff (or give it away), so that the remaining things fit inside a small UHaul (or my car) and I could relocate to a place where I didn't have to live day to day, I probably would. In fact, I did. My own personal advantages were: I had a very old Suburban which could hold a lot of stuff; and I had someplace to crash when I got there (although my new living space consisted of a six by eight foot bedroom........and a tiny cabin shared with two other people.) In my new location, I could find a job which at least paid enough to get by. I chipped in with living expenses as much as I could. (This was the first of several situations where I paid rent for a room, not an actual apartment. But at least I was getting by).
With all due respect, I hear that you WANT low heat and humidity, big medical centers nearby, liberal neighbors, etc. etc. etc. etc. These are all very much "first world problems". I would live just about anywhere if the alternative was sleeping outside or starving.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Everything you assumed above is wrong, insulting or racist. It's very sad. You must have a very narrow minded view of what the rest of the country is truly like.

And it's exactly wrong opinions like this that prevent some people from knowing they can improve their lives by moving.
It IS sad when our culture of victimhood interferes with very real people improving their quality of life.

"Everybody's a victim......seems it's going that way
Everybody's a victim......we're becoming like the USA......." (The Proclaimers)

Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,413,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It IS sad when our culture of victimhood interferes with very real people improving their quality of life.

Even they would walk 500 miles. (one of my favorites)

Old 11-04-2018, 04:45 PM

1,300 posts, read 653,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Such odd, angry language. Anyway, explain a scenario where someone is truly stuck at $30k and can't move up.
Me. Early 50's, recent college grad which has not helped since it is a General Studies degree. I am a bookkeeper by trade with an employment gap for caring for my mom after her stroke. I have been trying to find a better job but I am not getting interviews. I am of average intelligence, I do not think I am super smart. But I am trying to make a better life.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:19 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,383,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
How long ago did your parents live in Dubuque? I am very familiar with town and there is a lot of exaggeration on what you posted.
They didn't live in Dubuque. They lived in Cassville, WI. And that was back in the 70s, so I certainly hope things have changed. But the point I'm trying to make is a lot of small towns are still very provincial and not always the wonderful places people perceive them to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You qualify for Medicare, but it takes two years. That is not particularly helpful if you are not working now.

People on SSDI don’t necessarily make much more than then do on SSI. If you are disabled young and/or have a shorter work history you might actually make less if you qualify off of a low-income job with just over 40 quarters of work history.

I think some no Medicaid expansion states might not even give people on SSI Medicaid. Before the expansion it was something like 14-17 states.
You have to have 40 quarters of work history to qualify for SSDI. If not, you get SSI. SSI will pay something like $735 a month max. SSDI will pay $1300 max, I think. My SSDI will turn over to Social Security at my full retirement age. I currently get SSDI.

At least in Washington state, with SSDI comes Medicare. I'm in a sort of special group because I do qualify and have Medicare, but I'm not 62 yet. It makes for some weird inclusions and exclusions. I don't qualify for Medicaid because I own property bought with the back pay from the disability. The property is currently considered an asset, as it should be.

Now once I move onto the property, then it will not be an asset anymore. At that point I will probably qualify for Medicaid as well as Medicare, and as long as my bank balance is under, I think it's $7500, I will qualify for my Medicare premiums being paid for. However, as I'll be saving up to have both electric and septic put on my lot, I can see that the amount saved will go over $7500 in about two years and then I won't qualify again. And of course, they can add and/or change programs and requirements at any time.

And you thought keeping up with the tax code changes was fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Seriously? All you have to do is look at the violence against Jews today, in big cities even, and you would know that prejudice is alive and flourishing. I'm not saying all small towns are like that. But not all small towns and places in the Midwest aren't like that, either.

And I certainly don't think it's racist to suggest some groups of people in this country will be affected by racism directed against them if they move to certain places in the US.

As for moving, you have to be a realist about it. I did move and I did improve my own life. I posted the amount it cost me to do that. How do you see that as being wrong? I ought to know what I paid to relocate. And what I had when I did move was a job already lined up and an apartment I could move into when I got here. People who are desperate to find an area with a lower cost of living can't always arrange that before they move.

Even upper class people looking to move might encounter some problems. Some companies require multiple interviews which might mean having to fly halfway across the US two or three times and stay overnight in motels. That can get expensive and it might not even lead to a job offer.

It's better to know the pitfalls ahead of time and plan for them, rather than just picking up stakes and making tracks for somewhere else because everyone tells you to "just move someplace cheaper" if you can't afford where you are.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 11-04-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 06:31 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,383,248 times
Quote:

Nobody is going to move their family into a neighborhood that reacts to them with violence. Nor should they have to.

Quote:
I would live just about anywhere if the alternative was sleeping outside or starving.
Er, I won't exactly be sleeping outside, but for the first year or so, I will be living in my car on my lot to save for the electric and septic. It depends on what you want and how bad you want it. In my case, I'm willing to live like this now for a chance to have a mortgage free place to live in a couple years.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Nobody is going to move their family into a neighborhood that reacts to them with violence. Nor should they have to.

Er, I won't exactly be sleeping outside, but for the first year or so, I will be living in my car on my lot to save for the electric and septic. It depends on what you want and how bad you want it. In my case, I'm willing to live like this now for a chance to have a mortgage free place to live in a couple years.

And that's fantastic. Most truly poor people are happy to get through the week, but you are doing better than that, it seems. I call what you're doing "sacrifice" and I am a huge fan of it. (Dave Ramsey has written much on the subject).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics