U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 03:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 25,902,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I also knew a family who did something like this.
SMH...wow, some people just have no sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 04:22 PM

27,849 posts, read 11,742,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You qualify for Medicare, but it takes two years. That is not particularly helpful if you are not working now.

People on SSDI don’t necessarily make much more than then do on SSI. If you are disabled young and/or have a shorter work history you might actually make less if you qualify off of a low-income job with just over 40 quarters of work history.

I think some no Medicaid expansion states might not even give people on SSI Medicaid. Before the expansion it was something like 14-17 states.
With your income you should be dual eligible (Medicare and medicaid) if for some reason you aren't google "medicare extra help".

Old 11-05-2018, 05:04 PM

5,322 posts, read 728,975 times
I think a more relevant study would tell how many American households don't have credit (excluding home and vehicle loans) and/or medical debt of more than $10,000 and also have money left over after paying their bills each month.

For six months before starting Social Security, I made only about $12,000 a year at a part-time job (as I had retired from full-time work), but my husband makes a very good salary. Yet, technically, I could have definitely been put into the category which is the title of this thread -- and so could many senior citizens, and so could many adult students who work part-time while going to college and having their income supplemented by their parents!

Last edited by katharsis; 11-05-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 05:16 PM

8,394 posts, read 4,592,347 times
you do know the poverty level is a government term so poor people dont feel bad about themselves.

who decide the poverty level? government and its all for tax reasons.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:10 PM

2,731 posts, read 3,788,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The income you listed isn’t enough to finance one of those trucks, let alone a new one every year so again your story is missing something and thus bringing this up is odd and irrelevant

So first you post a meaningless story about someone buying 70k trucks every year and now have included “leftists” into another meaningless post?
What have you added to this discussion? Or are you just a troll? Or maybe you have low expectations for your own ability to contribute to an economic discussion.

Which is it?

Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 PM

7,670 posts, read 4,570,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
What have you added to this discussion? Or are you just a troll? Or maybe you have low expectations for your own ability to contribute to an economic discussion.

Which is it?
I think he raised a very relevant point.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 652,909 times
Quote:

Which is it?
He was responding to your story about the yearly 70K truck purchases. How does that make him a troll?

Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM

472 posts, read 256,165 times
Quote:

Which is it?
Dead on. Just look at his post history. There is a good reason why 99% of users just ignore him.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:38 AM

438 posts, read 97,168 times
Quote:

Which is it?
This is what he added I agree with.

"The income you listed isn’t enough to finance one of those trucks, let alone a new one every year..."

I guess you missed it. The troll accusation is a bit much. Relax

Old 11-06-2018, 01:46 AM

438 posts, read 97,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
Dead on. Just look at his The income you listed isn’t enough to finance one of those trucks, let alone a new one every year The income you listed isn’t enough to finance one of those trucks, let alone a new one every year ost history. There is a good reason why 99% of users just ignore him.
Absolute BUNK. You don't really expect us to believe this do you?
Do NOT encourage others to call other members trolls.
And when someone is the victim of name calling here,
Do not add insult to injury by helping to gang up on them spreading false-hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics