U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 AM

65,830 posts, read 67,139,137 times

Advertisements

no where is it written that anyone should be paid anymore for the same job function as time moves on . except for inflation adjusting that low end job likely does not get more valuable, in fact with automation it is less valuable .

the way to make more money is by increasing skills and position . most of us who were successful at earning decent pay did it not by staying in the same job slot for life .

i know my wages grew nicely over the years but that was because i elevated my job function ver the years as well as being a commissioned sales engineer i grew my account base .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 11:11 AM

31,336 posts, read 9,336,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Great Economy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy87yvZua-g

We are doing great!!!

Newsflash: It's not a recent phenomenon.

Heaven forbid that should be the result of a failed educational system, high school dropouts, worthless degrees, influx of unskilled immigrants, and entitled and unmotivated adults.

Good try, though.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:29 AM

9,584 posts, read 7,504,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the way to make more money is by increasing skills and position . most of us who were successful at earning decent pay did it not by staying in the same job slot for life .
This is the truth but most people don't want to hear it. I started a long time ago when minimum wage was $3.15/hr. Now, I compete for six figure jobs.

Changed jobs, got additional training and certifications, relocated, etc. I've done it all.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 AM

7,152 posts, read 6,751,819 times
This is the equivalent of 50% of Americans don't own stocks or don't pay income taxes. Once you weed out people who are working part-time, the figure rises substantially.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/av...orkers-2060808

Old 10-27-2018, 11:48 AM

765 posts, read 425,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Pretty much dead on accurate..... I'm not blaming Trump or even Obama for where we are at. The problems started much earlier than that and yes we have mortgaged the future for the today. We are left with a haves and have-nots economy. Plenty of people doing well, a lot of worker/slave to the system lower middle class. A lot of welfare collectors, and a lot of social security collectors as well. Far few middle class people than before.
This all started back in 2001 with Greenspan and then Crazy Mad Man Bernanke doubled down and found a way to instill more inflation (debt inflation) but not growth, in order to avoid Deflation. But Deflation has a silver lining.-it destroys debt, lowers prices, and re-institutes saving, which saves, eventually, the society and the economy.

Homeless is a shame on us; and it is being caused by the interest rate bubble that is keeping prices elevated. I am a homeowner who appreciates the growth in housing wealth. But it’s unacceptable that people working cannot afford a home today. So that the rest of us can retire on the Housing Bubble's swollen capital gains. Let's TAX every vacant home at a rate that will force "investors" (hoarders) to give up their investment homes. Let's not allow foreigners to buy US homes unless they live in them. Put Americans first.

Of course, the STRONG DOLLAR deflation wrecking ball will do all of this for us, as long as we don't keep undermine Jerome Powell from doing the job that Ben Bernanke refused to do.

God Bless our new Fed Chief Jerome Powel. He just needs to continue raising interest rates. Strong US Dollar will take care of the rest

Old 10-27-2018, 12:37 PM

1,141 posts, read 271,035 times
I will not reply and encourage others not to reply to those who DID NOT WATCH the video or read OFFICIAL DATA FROM SSA.GOV

If they don't believe the government itself admitting these numbers and refuse to acknowledge stagnant wages for FIFTY PERCENT of U.S. Citizens since 1980 I'm not sure these individuals can be rescued from their fantasy land.

The rest of us are living in R-E-A-L-I-T-Y.

The existing system CANNOT SUSTAIN ITSELF due to being predicated on consumerism BALANCE SHEETS, STOCKS AND REAL ESTATE GROW YET WAGES AND % OF HIGH EARNERS REMAIN THE SAME AS 30 YEARS AGO?

THE MATH DOES NOT WORK OUT.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:29 PM

956 posts, read 451,652 times
Sorry, I am confused by this entire thread. Here is my problem. You are proposing that our system is broken because of 2017 median wages, yet data clearly shows median wages have been rising every year, by reports from the same OFFICIAL DATA SOURCE FROM SSA.GOV.

If you think it is not sustainable now, but data from the SAME BUREAU SHOWS DEFINITIVELY that it is better than it has been over the last 26 years, (2017 vs 1991), what exactly is you point?

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/central.html

Sorry, please explain; somehow, I lost the point.
Attached Thumbnails
50% of Americans make 30k or Under-avg_median.jpg  

Old 10-27-2018, 02:43 PM

2,731 posts, read 3,788,930 times
My next door neighbor, younger than me, doesn't work. He is on Social Security Disability. I don't see what his disability is, must be psychological. His live-in girlfriend works at Walmart. They get a brand new 4-wheel drive, King cab pickup every year, probably around $70,000.

Meanwhile my 3-income family has cheap vehicles 11 years old or older. Our house is paid off and we're doing fine. When I stop seeing everyone in town running around with 2-year old $70k pickups and $1k iPhones, maybe then I will think that our economy is in trouble.

But from the cr@p people appear to afford, it puts USAmericans in the top 3% of the world's population for wealth. From a weight perspective, people are looking pretty FULL.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM

5,052 posts, read 1,297,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
50% of Americans make 30k or Under
Only 40% of Americans have college degrees (it's even less for STEM degrees).

Laziness is not rewarded in this country for those largely uneducated making 30K or under

Stay in school kids, or you'll end up making youtube videos for ad revenue so people can make clickbait threads about them.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:58 PM

17,783 posts, read 12,462,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
My next door neighbor, younger than me, doesn't work. He is on Social Security Disability. I don't see what his disability is, must be psychological. His live-in girlfriend works at Walmart. They get a brand new 4-wheel drive, King cab pickup every year, probably around $70,000.

Meanwhile my 3-income family has cheap vehicles 11 years old or older. Our house is paid off and we're doing fine. When I stop seeing everyone in town running around with 2-year old $70k pickups and $1k iPhones, maybe then I will think that our economy is in trouble.

But from the cr@p people appear to afford, it puts USAmericans in the top 3% of the world's population for wealth. From a weight perspective, people are looking pretty FULL.

SSDI isnít paying for a new 70k truck every year so Iím not even sure what the point of this post is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics