Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 AM

216 posts, read 179,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Too bad hydro rates jumped (where I live) 25%
Too bad insurance rates (where I live) jumped another 25%
Too bad food prices increased immensely.
Too bad property taxes increased by almost 100%

Wages rising 3.1 % doesn't even come near to what's needed to maintain a secure home.
You probably should move, sounds like bad area to live in.
Have not noticed food prices changing significantly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I make the same wage I made in 1988. My expenses are not the same as they were in 1988 and I don't get 40 hours a week - no one where I work gets paid for more than 30 hours even if they work 100. The company just keeps a stockpile of "owed" hours and adds them on to a check later where you work fewer than 30 hours. Agree with above poster that my dentist and supermarket and power company don't give a damn about this sad story.

And before the right wingers tell me to get another or a second job, I got an interview for a second job seeing as I worked few hours and the second job couldn't stand my not being available 24/7 during the busy holiday season.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:36 AM

973 posts, read 914,962 times
If this is true, they must have missed me...

Old 11-01-2018, 10:39 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I make the same wage I made in 1988. My expenses are not the same as they were in 1988 and I don't get 40 hours a week - no one where I work gets paid for more than 30 hours even if they work 100. The company just keeps a stockpile of "owed" hours and adds them on to a check later where you work fewer than 30 hours. Agree with above poster that my dentist and supermarket and power company don't give a damn about this sad story.

And before the right wingers tell me to get another or a second job, I got an interview for a second job seeing as I worked few hours and the second job couldn't stand my not being available 24/7 during the busy holiday season.

Honestly, I’m not an expert in employment law, but I don’t see how that can even be legal.

And as far as making the same wage now as in 1988, that’s crazy. But always remember this. You can blame your employer for what they have done. But do not blame them for what you haven’t done. Take back YOUR power. You can blame the world for bringing them into your life, but then be grateful that they showed you exactly what you don’t want. Have the strength to know you deserve better, and go get it.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 11-01-2018 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Honestly, I’m not an expert in employment law, but I don’t see how that can even be legal.

And as far as making the same wage now as in 1988, that’s crazy. But always remember this. You can blame your employer for what they have done. But do not blame them for what you haven’t done. Take back YOUR power. You can blame the world for bringing them into your life, but then be grateful that they showed you exactly what you don’t want. Have the strength to know you deserve better, and go get it.
It's not, and if it's really true, I won't advise getting a new or second job but I would advise a formal complain to both the IRS (wh gets no income tax revenue from "comp time" and to the U.S. Department of Labor. For this to go on unchallenged for 30 years sounds unbelievable. Many claims have been filed and resulted in huge payouts for past overtime over those years.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/overtime_pay.htm

Old 11-01-2018, 02:07 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,781,311 times
Quote:

Wages rising 3.1 % doesn't even come near to what's needed to maintain a secure home.
Did all of your rate increases happen in one year like the wage increase? If so, I'd get out of there yesterday.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:06 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Barely keeping up with inflation. For this year. What about other years?

Besides, the worst enemy of our paychecks is not inflation but the free market. It can decrease your buying power tremendously in a relatively short period of time.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:30 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

Total rubbish and you know it.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:49 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:

If you're not smart enough to relocate then you deserve it.

Quote:
I make the same wage I made in 1988.

That's entirely your fault.

Would you like a tissue?

Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Total rubbish and you know it.
No, it isn't. And who are you to call me a liar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics