U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 10:29 AM

12,496 posts, read 14,637,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Yeah but plasma screen TVs are cheaper and they will lend anybody with a pulse to get a house or car so money is cheap.
True....being in debt seems to be the norm these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 01:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,137,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Awwww...I'm so sorry I insist on living. OK, honestly, I'm not sorry. Truth is, there are some people in this world that are worth dying for. You just aren't one of them.
I can take care of myself and my family. Why can't other people? Your right to live begins to conflict with my right to live when I have to subsidize your healthcare which then jeopardizes my ability to my pay for my own.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:59 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,137,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
True....being in debt seems to be the norm these days.
If there are entities willing to loan me money at 1-3% and my portfolio is gaining 10% a year... it seems pretty silly to NOT take on loans. Why pay cash for a car when I can borrow the money at 2% and invest it in my company which is up almost 50% year to date?

Old 11-05-2018, 02:05 PM

4,730 posts, read 2,336,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I can take care of myself and my family. Why can't other people? Your right to live begins to conflict with my right to live when I have to subsidize your healthcare which then jeopardizes my ability to my pay for my own.
You know what? I went without healthcare for years because I couldn't afford it. So don't expect me to cry crocodile tears because the shoe is now on the other foot. It's called affordability. If you can't afford it, don't have it.

And your taxes don't just go to pay part of my healthcare. They go for a whole host of other things as well. When I was working and paying taxes, I'm sure many of my taxes went for things that jeopardized my ability to take care of myself but helped you out.

Public schools, for example. Why should I have to jeopardize my living because you can't support your kids without government dollars? Your so-called right to have kids conflicts with my right to support myself when I have to subsidize their education.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
If there are entities willing to loan me money at 1-3% and my portfolio is gaining 10% a year... it seems pretty silly to NOT take on loans. Why pay cash for a car when I can borrow the money at 2% and invest it in my company which is up almost 50% year to date?
As long as the unthinkable doesn't happen and you don't end up in a position where you can't afford to make the loan payments.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 PM

1,287 posts, read 631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's all dependent on being highly skilled and ideally in a coastal metro.
I couldn't agree more. If you want to make $ 9.00 as a receptionist (which I was making 30 years ago), come to my town! I am sure skilled workers are doing well. But when someone says "wages" are up, let us assume it is for "skilled" jobs.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:00 PM

1,581 posts, read 357,280 times
How many people at any given time may very well have a perfect payment history, but are puzzled why their credit score is stuck in the upper 600s. Between opening new lines of credit (possibly with prime lenders, but their highest interest rate) and high revolving balances, their low Average-Age-of-Accounts and astronomical utilization are killing them.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM

1,562 posts, read 358,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
How many people at any given time may very well have a perfect payment history, but are puzzled why their credit score is stuck in the upper 600s. Between opening new lines of credit (possibly with prime lenders, but their highest interest rate) and high revolving balances, their low Average-Age-of-Accounts and astronomical utilization are killing them.
What does this have to do with the thread?

Old 11-07-2018, 04:40 PM

And there's this besides:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...its/ar-BBPgCrt

Old 11-07-2018, 06:25 PM

1,581 posts, read 357,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You know what? I went without healthcare for years because I couldn't afford it. So don't expect me to cry crocodile tears because the shoe is now on the other foot. It's called affordability. If you can't afford it, don't have it.

And your taxes don't just go to pay part of my healthcare. They go for a whole host of other things as well. When I was working and paying taxes, I'm sure many of my taxes went for things that jeopardized my ability to take care of myself but helped you out.

Public schools, for example. Why should I have to jeopardize my living because you can't support your kids without government dollars? Your so-called right to have kids conflicts with my right to support myself when I have to subsidize their education.
Libertarian? Ok, look.

Taxes are assessed to pay for municipal projects critical to a certain goal. Whether it's public education, paved roads, or running water. These taxes are enforced by law so that individual citizens can't pull the whole "well I didn't ask you to pave my road!" excuse. I don't care if your 4x4 can traverse the gaping potholes on Main St., a percentage of your income will be taken for the betterment of common infrastructure. In other words, you don't get to make those decisions, your city planning board does - they already have your money.

Public schools, while being far from ideal in some cities, offer a balanced curriculum most often requiring a math, an English, a science, and some form of social studies class each year. Without public schools, there would likely not have been a standard curriculum, and you'd have schools that only taught arts, only taught science, leaving large voids in their graduates' abilities.

Absent SOME local, state, or national standard for anything, traveling from one state to another would be like entering a foreign country. No cohesive ties or relationships... this opens many opportunities for exploitation of less densely populated (read: impoverished) states for their natural resources and labor.

To draw an analogy - and a good, simple one for illustrative purposes - city water. Very very few, if any residential properties at all, would have city water if each subscriber had to pay for the entire length of pipe from their house to the nearest pump station. Taxes pay for the water mains, to bring ACCESS to all homes within certain limits, and each connection (given a small 0.1 to 0.3 acre lot) usually costs about $1500. A lot less than a dedicated line. This enables modest new homes with modest incomes MILES from city center to access clean water instead of eating the initial cost of installing well and septic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or