Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times

Advertisements

I never thought they'd bail out real estate markets...but they did.
More Americans than ever are late on their credit cards... who knows, eh?
Don't think it could happen?
Did you think we'd be in Iraq 5 years?

...the American Bankers Association said the percentage of loans at least 30 days past due rose to 2.65 percent in the fourth quarter from 2.44 percent in the third quarter, and from 2.23 percent a year earlier.

Late payments on "indirect" auto loans, which are made through dealerships, totaled 3.13 percent, the highest on record. Delinquencies on direct auto loans rose to 1.90 percent, a 2-1/2-year high.
Credit and debit card delinquencies rose to 4.38 percent from the third quarter's 4.18 percent, following four straight quarterly declines.

Housing wasn't spared. Delinquencies on home equity loans rose to a 2-1/2-year high of 2.39 percent, and on home equity lines of credit rose to 0.96 percent, matching a level last seen in the fourth quarter of 1997.

I mean...credit is credit... right? Why can't we help those poor people who didn't understand their credit card requirements?

Oh man, that was hard to type with a straight face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Well if those are the same banks that have bad mortgages, why not ?
Just add it to our tax bill.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
You can call me "Miss Cleo."

Student, Car Debt Quietly Added to Bailout Plan : Stop The ACLU

Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,484 times
I seriously doubt whether the credit card operations are in financial trouble, they make more profit, than any other form of banking, and actually more like cash cows than anything else.

Besides, it isn't the traditional banks that are in trouble, though there does seem to be an effort underway to mislead the public. Sort of like there were no Iraqis on the 9/11 planes, but the same administration that is asking for this bailout blamed them for terrorism anyway.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,265 times
Of course,Wall Street IS the goverment.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I seriously doubt whether the credit card operations are in financial trouble, they make more profit, than any other form of banking, and actually more like cash cows than anything else.

Besides, it isn't the traditional banks that are in trouble, though there does seem to be an effort underway to mislead the public. Sort of like there were no Iraqis on the 9/11 planes, but the same administration that is asking for this bailout blamed them for terrorism anyway.
IIIIIIII don't know about that one link

Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 PM

19 posts, read 186,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I never thought they'd bail out real estate markets...but they did.
More Americans than ever are late on their credit cards... who knows, eh?
Don't think it could happen?
Did you think we'd be in Iraq 5 years?

...the American Bankers Association said the percentage of loans at least 30 days past due rose to 2.65 percent in the fourth quarter from 2.44 percent in the third quarter, and from 2.23 percent a year earlier.

Late payments on "indirect" auto loans, which are made through dealerships, totaled 3.13 percent, the highest on record. Delinquencies on direct auto loans rose to 1.90 percent, a 2-1/2-year high.
Credit and debit card delinquencies rose to 4.38 percent from the third quarter's 4.18 percent, following four straight quarterly declines.

Housing wasn't spared. Delinquencies on home equity loans rose to a 2-1/2-year high of 2.39 percent, and on home equity lines of credit rose to 0.96 percent, matching a level last seen in the fourth quarter of 1997.

I mean...credit is credit... right? Why can't we help those poor people who didn't understand their credit card requirements?

Oh man, that was hard to type with a straight face.

I don't think Congress will bail out the credit card/car loan companies. The bail out that congress is working on has to do with mortgage-backed securities. Bad loans were made by bad lenders and then sold on the Street. These portfolios have tanked, and now we are all going to pay the price.

Unsecured debt and car loans are not sold on the Street to investors. These loan are direct liabilities to the lenders. The lenders are more agressive in collecting these debts because they directly affect their balance sheets.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirelessany1 View Post
I don't think Congress will bail out the credit card/car loan companies. The bail out that congress is working on has to do with mortgage-backed securities. Bad loans were made by bad lenders and then sold on the Street. These portfolios have tanked, and now we are all going to pay the price.

Unsecured debt and car loans are not sold on the Street to investors. These loan are direct liabilities to the lenders. The lenders are more agressive in collecting these debts because they directly affect their balance sheets.
That was what I was going to say... you beat me too it!

Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,551,997 times
Speaking of card companys this comes as no surprise

Credit card insiders tell of deceptive practices - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080924/us_nm/us_usa_economy_creditcards - broken link)

Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times
So far the default rates on credit card and auto related debt isn't so bad, so far at least the moment no bailout is warranted.

What I see happening is that default rates remain high for a number of years and interest rates go up to recover lost revenue. Now that the home ATM is closed credit cards are the last fix for the debt junkie, the problems occur when they stop being able to raise their limit and/or get new cards.

I'm still getting credit card offers form WaMu....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics