Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:32 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,087,927 times

Advertisements

I see so many modern and new cars with a Uber or Lyft sticker on them, and I always ask, is it worth the massive deprecation of putting 20-30k miles a year on a near new car for .60 a mile. Or doing Uber eats for the equivalent of $5 an hour after a days work.

So for a economy that so many brags about is doing well, why are so many resorting to working for near minimum wage and destroying their near new cars for pennies on the dollar. Im guessing something is better than nothing at all, but doesnt seem worth the effort to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM

813 posts, read 596,465 times
Don't do it.

Good luck, Rg

Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,499,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I see so many modern and new cars with a Uber or Lyft sticker on them, and I always ask, is it worth the massive deprecation of putting 20-30k miles a year on a near new car for .60 a mile. Or doing Uber eats for the equivalent of $5 an hour after a days work.

So for a economy that so many brags about is doing well, why are so many resorting to working for near minimum wage and destroying their near new cars for pennies on the dollar. Im guessing something is better than nothing at all, but doesnt seem worth the effort to me.
you seem to want to believe that this is a sign of bad things. im guessing you wish to believe that the economy is doing poorly so you fit what you see into that box.

i dont know that people making the choice to work for uber/lift is a bad thing. maybe ask people who do it.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:49 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,537,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe ask people who do it.
I suspect this is what the thread is for.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I suspect this is what the thread is for.
that could be. but its probably just someone who wants to promote the idea that the economy is bad.

im not sure why a business filling a need is an indication that the economy is bad.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
...to promote the idea that the economy is bad.
...not sure why a business filling a need ...
Both of these conditions can be true at the same time.
In this instance it's the idea of shifting risk and the bulk of capital and operating expense onto the "employee".

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
Just an offshoot from the pizza delivery guy.
People are desperate and need $$ to eat.
And there are plenty willing to take advantage of that situation.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Both of these conditions can be true at the same time.
In this instance it's the idea of shifting risk and the bulk of capital and operating expense onto the "employee".
well, they are more of a platform than an employer. theoretically, another platform could compete by taking a smaller % of the fare from the driver.

if there are a lot of people signing up to do it, im not sure why the assumption is that this is a bad thing. i would need more info to make that judgment. but if someone were predisposed to want to believe the economy is bad, they will see anything as a sign of the economy being bad.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:42 AM

13,639 posts, read 12,279,035 times
Quote:

Why do you assume that people aren't nearsighted, and that they understand depreciation, and that they understand the costs of running their vehicle for uber beyond the Gas bill.

Lots of people do things that are really a bad deal long term for short term gratification. It has little to do with the economy.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Why do you assume that people aren't nearsighted, and that they understand depreciation,
and that they understand the costs of running their vehicle for uber beyond the Gas bill.
In MY case... I assume people with that sort of understanding should be able to apply it better.

Quote:
Lots of people do things that are really a bad deal long term for short term gratification.
True enough. Do you attribute a high degree of business acumen to this cohort as well?

Old 11-06-2018, 11:59 AM

24,294 posts, read 9,172,660 times
Quote:
How would you know if it’s worth it unless you’re in their shoes? Don’t you know they wouldn’t be doing it unless they had to? And they would easily stop doing it if it wasn’t worth it. And they can use their extra Uber income to help pay off their car.

Let me guess, you cringe when folks use their car to deliver Postmates and Instacart orders to people all over the city too?

Jesus, here we have folks getting a little extra income and the faux outrage over their car comes.

The depreciation of a car doesn’t matter unless you plan to sell the damn thing right away or you get into an accident without gap coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics