U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

4,825 posts, read 2,292,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Sigh. This is neither a private conversation nor a short nor particularly focused one; if I didn't exactly address YOUR point the way you wanted, hard darts on you. The context is bigger than your attempt at nuance.
Sigh. It's not a private conversation but when someone says a certain thing, I respond to it, and you come rolling in trying to steer it into a completely different context because that's what you feel ready to lecture about it's on you.

Quote:
You failed to establish why what I was was not true; you seem to have restated what I said.
Sigh. Incorrect, I established that your attempt to pigeonhole spam as only coming from illegitimate sources was false, and I established that providing false contact information could indeed reduce the chances of that poster dealing with something they find aggravating.

Quote:
Anyone annoyed by one or two mails from a known merchant for which they voluntarily signed up for benefits, and failed to check the box for no solicitation, and put out by having to click an unsubscribe or two, is beyond snowflake in this time and era. The tiny number generated by signing up with known merchants and established businesses is almost invisible compared to the bombing-run crap from other, uncontrollable sources. Perhaps such delicate souls should avoid having an email account altogether.

In any case, I haven't signed up for any kind of reward program with a local, known merchant in years that didn't give me the immediate option to opt out right at the start. I failed to check a box recently, and got two emails from a men's clothier I didn't particularly want; two clicks on unsubscribe stopped them. I didn't cry or wail or anything.
Sigh. We'll let you know when we have a thread going about Quietude's personal threshold for aggravation, but hey that's a neat anecdote!

Quote:
the kitten-with-its-rump-sticking-out game of using a false name and address accomplishes nothing. Except possibly a few unwanted emails that can be stopped
Accomplishes nothing... well except for avoiding that which you detailed in the following sentence. You should look up the word "nothing" and ponder on it a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:01 AM

24,774 posts, read 26,889,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You don't only have to worry about a credit score, you also have a secret customer score to determine your financial value to a company. Who knew?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on...ore/ar-BBPdiSD
The implications for this get worse. China has a social credit score. You can be sure they will be pushing this everywhere. Just like George Orwell warned us about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuqbx8tyW1Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics