Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 04:49 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times

Advertisements

You don't only have to worry about a credit score, you also have a secret customer score to determine your financial value to a company. Who knew?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on...ore/ar-BBPdiSD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Fairly old news, just a few recent twists.

The takeaway here is that quite a few companies with a behaviorist on tap have managed to sell the idea that they have the one true key to sorting a company's customers. As with so many such approaches, it's a few scoops of validated lab science thinned to serving consistency with BS, voodou and fairy dust.

There are other things to be far more fearful of, or get angry about.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You don't only have to worry about a credit score, you also have a secret customer score to determine your financial value to a company. Who knew?
What did you think "reward cards" were?

Businesses know exactly what you buy and when you buy it.

I can tell you for a fact that in the near future, at least at grocery stores, the price tags will be digital, and not stickers. They'll be able to change the price of any item or every item in the store in a matter of seconds. Price changes will be triggered by peak shopping periods to maximize their profits.

Anyway, that is a consumer report as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and you're entitled to a free copy once a year, so request yours if you want.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:30 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
I opt out of reward cards, as I am concerned that having them would result in a barrage of mail, telephone, and Email spam. Any savings would be more than offset by the aggravation.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That's not a secret. For most online sales this is rather obvious. Just do some research and click on an item and you will get lots of popups showing it and similar items for sale on social media and other apps.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A very low-grade form of this scoring system. The stores that issue them rarely use the data except in the grossest way; it's a commodity sold or traded upstream to the conglomerates and MA firms. But it's still pretty crude compared to the OP is talking about.

Quote:
Do they, now.

Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that in the near future, at least at grocery stores, the price tags will be digital, and not stickers. They'll be able to change the price of any item or every item in the store in a matter of seconds. Price changes will be triggered by peak shopping periods to maximize their profits.
Pricing has been electronic for close to two decades; changing a product price is two minutes on a console that will automatically spit out a new shelf tag. You are right to some degree that shelf pricing will be... if not digital displays, at least somehow more flexible so that storewide price changes can be implemented. I think we're a long ways from it becoming common, though. The current move (and a far more dangerous one) is to "checkoutless" stores.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:13 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
It can’t be secret because I read it on city data.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I opt out of reward cards...
Not possible or practical in many cases. Particularly for groceries, it can be a 20-25% net difference over a week's shopping, because so many staple items are "reward" priced.* For the oddball or infrequent purchase, yes, you can opt not to use that discount and it's often worth the modest cost on many levels.

Quote:
...as I am concerned that having them would result in a barrage of mail, telephone, and Email spam. Any savings would be more than offset by the aggravation.
An empty argument against rewards programs. No legitimate business can send you email or call you without you opting in; I have yet to see a reward or loyalty program that required your accepting such contact as a part of participation. You sign up, you tell them no on one to five categories of contact, and if you get anything automatically, you unsubscribe. Done.

The reason to reject tracking is for far more important and widespread reasons, not spam. But we're on the verge of it becoming irrelevant, anyway. I'd bet that only retailer addicted to old, low-tech solutions for the wrong reasons will have "rewards cards" in five to ten years.

* My loathing for Safeway began when the neighborhood one, the second most convenient grocery store in my area, had "member" pricing on nearly everything in the store. For things like wine, it was nearly a 50% discount (or 100% markup, depending on your point of view). No one sane could or would shop there without a card. Most grocery stores are a little more rational, but a card typically saves me $3-5 a trip, and I shop frugally for one these days.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:06 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Anyway, that is a consumer report as defined in the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and you're entitled to a free copy once a year, so request yours if you want.

Except that in many states laws require prices to be on shelves of grocery stores/supermarkets.

Laws further state if price on shelf says one thing, but scans or whatever at the register another customer must be given the "shelf" price. This usually is lower and myself have used this quite often. It's not my fault someone put a sale sticker/item in the wrong place, and or otherwise mislabeled.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Except that in many states laws require prices to be on shelves of grocery stores/supermarkets.

Laws further state if price on shelf says one thing, but scans or whatever at the register another customer must be given the "shelf" price. This usually is lower and myself have used this quite often. It's not my fault someone put a sale sticker/item in the wrong place, and or otherwise mislabeled.
Well, we're in the wrong era to be smugly boasting about consumer protections.

I can see pressure from the retailing industry to allow "more informative" shelf pricing methods that conform to the letter of this requirement and resolution while allowing mass retailers to use digital tags that make the protection meaningless. That is, you pick up a can of beans at $1.25, the afternoon-lull sale price, but dawdling over the candy aisle means it's $1.79 by the time you get to checkout. All of the pricing protections you outline become pretty meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics