U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 08:39 AM

8,373 posts, read 3,546,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
We can call this or that paper a right wing rag, blah, blah, blah.

But what is rarely talked about in the media is one of the big factors in wage stagnation is health care costs. Employers and workers alike have been paying a lot more. It's not sustainable.

This why I think the best way to augment the middle class is through HC subsidies. That is if you think the middle class needs augmenting. HC is not getting cheaper. HC will not be cheaper with more UHC. And everyone will need HC access. I'm not saying Medicare for all. But one very major reason Medicare works so well for so many and for so long is the subsidy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 08:43 AM

65,829 posts, read 67,139,137 times
medicare part B is also funded by as much as 80% of the cost of PART B by the users .

medicare cost between 10-11k per person and you pay as much as 80% of that cost depending on income level in retirement . . remember that is only for part B . that is besides the fact that you have paid in for part A for decades while working virtually leaving the hospitalization part out of the equation on that premium .. nor does it cover drugs . you can pay as much as 400 bucks for certain drugs as a copay plus the cost of a separate drug plan . plus medicare only pays 80% of the charges otherwise you need additional coverage .

medicare is far more expensive when you consider how much you paid in all your working life too for PART A . with all those not working or just starting out paying in very little medicare could never support a system like medicare is for all . medicare kicks in after most have paid in to PART A for decades . the 11k per does not include HOSPITALIZATION which is PART A

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-24-2018 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-24-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
medicare part B is also funded by up to 80% by the users based on premium . medicare cost between 10-11k per person and you pay as much as 80% of that cost depending on income level in retirement . . remember that is only for part B . that is besides the fact that you have paid in for part A for decades while working virtually leaving the hospitalization part out of the equation on that premium .. nor does it cover drugs . you can pay as much as 400 bucks for certain drugs as a copay plus the cost of a separate drug plan . plus medicare only pays 80% of the charges otherwise you need additional coverage .

medicare is far more expensive when you consider how much you paid in all your working life too for PART A . with all those not working or just starting out paying in very little medicare could never support a system like medicare is for all . medicare kicks in after most have paid in to PART A for decades .
Medicare isn't cheap, but a significant bargain based on age and medical risks. Most beneficiaries get a 1/3 to a 1/2 kick back with benefits as compared to what they put in. A Medicare supplement is necessary especially if you have medical/surgical problems already. And most do. A drug plan really only helps if you are on some expensive stuff.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:11 AM

here is the percentages you would pay of that 10-11k today . that is only for PART B .

PART A is free and is hospitalization and is paid for by the decades of working and paying in . this includes no drug plan and medicare only covers 80% of the bills unless you buy separate private coverage .

Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Medicare isn't cheap, but a significant bargain based on age and medical risks. Most beneficiaries get a 1/3 to a 1/2 kick back with benefits as compared to what they put in. A Medicare supplement is necessary especially if you have medical/surgical problems already. And most do. A drug plan really only helps if you are on some expensive stuff.
how much of a bargain depends on income level . when you figure out you are paying 80% of the cost of part B ,,, A SEPARATE DRUG PLAN , A SUPPLEMENT AND A LIFETIME OF PAYING IN FOR PART A. IT IS NOT AS CHEAP AS YOU THINK .

it is only a good deal at the lowest income tier , which does include most people of course .

at the lowest level we would pay 1608 for medicare a year , 3000 in ny for a f-plan supplement , 468 for a low end drug plan and a life time of paying in for PART A.

the highest level would pay 8700 for just medicare plus the rest of the costs . that is more than i paid for my aca plan .

Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
how much of a bargain depends on income level . when you figure out you are paying 80% of the cost of part B ,,, A SEPARATE DRUG PLAN , A SUPPLEMENT AND A LIFETIME OF PAYING IN FOR PART A. IT IS NOT AS CHEAP AS YOU THINK .

it is only a good deal at the lowest income tier , which does include most people of course .

at the lowest level we would pay 1608 for medicare a year , 3000 in ny for a f-plan supplement , 468 for a low end drug plan and a life time of paying in for PART A.

the highest level would pay 8700 for just medicare plus the rest of the costs . that is more than i paid for my aca plan .
I pay about $425/mo with a supplement and drug plan. Convenience 5 star. OOP and deductibles have been about 0. I couldn't tell you how much I've paid in over the years with taxes.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 AM

like i said it all depends on income as far as how much of the 11k part B premium you pay .

don't forget someone who owned a house for 30 years in a high cost of living areas can sell and get whacked hard for the year in medicare premiums if the gain is high enough .

it happened to us . not only did taxes on the gain come to 30% but we hit the max too on premiums .

the point here is it would cost the gov'ty an incredible amount of money to make something like medicare universal since the masses would pay to little to make it a do .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-24-2018 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 AM

73,603 posts, read 65,291,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
You are aware that the WSJ is a periodical that caters to business interests, aren't you? It's playing to a specific crowd. Expectations that it's an objective info source on economic news would be unjustified.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:39 AM

5,373 posts, read 1,561,105 times
with Medicare and a BC/BS supplemental, I pay nothing

Old 11-24-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
like i said it all depends on income as far as how much of the 11k part B premium you pay .

don't forget someone who owned a house for 30 years in a high cost of living areas can sell and get whacked hard for the year in medicare premiums if the gain is high enough .

it happened to us . not only did taxes on the gain come to 30% but we hit the max too on premiums .

the point here is it would cost the gov'ty an incredible amount of money to make something like medicare universal since the masses would pay to little to make it a do .
Yes it will take an S load of money. But don't forget - and this is very important - the per capita HC costs for the general population is much lower on average than Medicare. Just based on the attendant medical risks of age alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics