U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:44 AM

5,101 posts, read 2,430,450 times

Advertisements

Ahh so now in maat55's own private accounting world something a bond is worthless because the issuer must pay it when redeemed from future earnings. Bonus = another reference to something being immoral from someone who dismisses putting a bunch of people into poverty as "feeling a pinch" and playing word games with the definition of poverty.

Keep 'em coming! Instant classics, every one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:20 AM

66,277 posts, read 67,496,775 times
this whole discussion has become nonsense after a while .

Old 12-19-2018, 02:09 PM

2,999 posts, read 1,317,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
There is no reason why everyone couldn’t just decide for themselves. It would not be difficult to have a mandatory system that had options. Mutual fund companies have numerous types of investments that include annuities, low risk funds and mixed funds. That fact that you are scared of what you don’t know isn’t a viable reason to force me into a system I despise.
Oh but there's a big reason. It's a pay as you go system...only the you stands for the Social Security Administration. With a 401K your set amount of money stays invested for a long period of time. For SSA, there are constant new inputs and drawdowns. The volatility will make investing that money harder and it will need to be coordinated. Because the income on the massive amount of capital in the program is generating low level gains, it will not be able to make enough to cover outflows. Worse, in our lifetime, the surplus will run out entirely.

What might be possible is for the SSA to stratify what their future payouts will be. They know our age and our estimated benefit payment. For money covering the next three years, perhaps that's placed in bonds. The remainder could be invested in various timeframes. That would give the surplus capital a chance to grow faster.

However, what will happen is that we won't change anything, the capital will run out and when we've got less than 3 years people will say, oh let's invest at the point where SSA will need the money too soon, and investment in anything beyond US bonds won't make sense.

If you asked me the best advice for money you have to have a year from now...then no I would not suggest putting it in the stock market. If you asked me the best advice for money you have to have 15 years from now, then I would suggest putting some in the stock market.

This is our last chance before there's simply no reasonable alternative, and it won't be for all funds, just the surplus.

Also, and I'm sure its been said before, but currently SSA must invest surplus in special US bonds. They do get interest. They do get paid. They just don't get paid enough to keep the system solvent if the population isn't ever growing fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or