U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2018, 04:02 PM
 
65,697 posts, read 67,058,130 times
Reputation: 43985

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post


The express purpose of Social Security was to provide for women who worked unpaid in the home. Note that they only get 50% of their spouse's benefits.

.

but they get 100% of that benefit as a survivor benefit if eligible . not only they do but so is every other qualifying ex spouse .

today most women work and those who don't make a personal lifestyle choice to not as well as to have kids , the same as a single person does . so it is time to reflect changes in society . what is put in place for single women , even those with kids should hold true for married women .

the system can't support good will for the institution of marriage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2018, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,229 posts, read 4,246,557 times
Reputation: 5524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
How to "fix" social Security?
Perhaps a "fix" would be to require Congress to pay back all the money they "borrowed" (stole) from The Social security Trust Fund. Of course, that would require proof that "they" actually stole the money.
good luck.
EXACTLY!!!!

Of course, proof means nothing--it's a fact that they spent all the money they collected on other government foolishness like pointless foreign wars, and that the SS system is a Ponzi Scam that is illegal for everyone except government -- but there is absolutely nothing you can do to bring the Ruling Class to justice, or recover the money they've stolen.

The solution to Social Security is to change the system so that government doesn't EVER get a penny of the money you save for retirement. Since SS and payroll withholding allowed Big Government to enslave the American working class and steal their paychecks before they even saw them, there can be no solutions other than poverty for American seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 04:25 PM
 
65,697 posts, read 67,058,130 times
Reputation: 43985
a fact ? the only thing that is a fact is your statement is factless. this is where believing your own bull-that you get from parroting other mis-informed people just makes what you say foolish .

you can start here


https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lets-de...security-myth/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 PM
 
2,247 posts, read 1,205,028 times
Reputation: 4596
Lots of stupid in this thread. Lots.


The Reformer: An Interactive Tool to Fix Social Security


Here play with this and see what actual changes would do. This isn't perfect by any means but its a hell of a lot closer than most of the garbage in this thread like "congress stole our money" and gems like "those leaching widows".

Moderator cut: personal attack

Social Security is hardly a lost cause and can be adjusted to be quite solvent. People are going to have to pay a little more to secure their checks and some benefit changes. The earlier we do that, the better.

By all means though, lets spend an extra trillion a year on needles tax cuts elsewhere, the war pig just farted, it is also due. Our priorities as a nation are completely Moderator cut: profanity Moderator cut: off topic trolling

But yeah, lets cut window benefits from Social Security. Lets just get rid of the program and go back to the 20's. That worked out really well for everyone when there were no safety nets.

Last edited by toosie; 12-03-2018 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
2,009 posts, read 677,492 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
1. End all spousal benefits including for spouses who never worked or divorced spouses. If you want SS, then work and pay into it.
Wow, number 1 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Consider that a significant amount of ones disposable lifetime earnings was confiscated into this program. It isn't a low cost insurance policy. It has essentially replaced most lower wage earners retirement saving ability. You might as well say that a spouse not get her husbands 401k.

As to the OP, SS is an abomination to freedom and a major reason most Americans retire broke. It was started as a Ponzi scheme and has only survived by raising rates and at gunpoint. It disables most Americans the ability to grow personal wealth to pass to their posterity.

A true fix for SS is a painful 20-30 year transition to a mandatory private system. The current path continues to raise rates(which further disables private wealth), involve forced redistribution and bankrupt future Americans.We are sadly stealing from future Americans to support this abomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
2,009 posts, read 677,492 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nonsense .

ss was never in the general funds , it is prohibited by law .it can only be used to fund ss retirement,ssdi and ss survivor benefits. Any excess can only buy treasuries which have never defaulted .

they can only go in to fixed income . the gov't can't buy stock or it would own private business and that is communism.

Johnson did an accounting slight of hand by combining on paper only, the excess ss funds with the general funds to make the deficit appear smaller when funding the vietnam war but those ss funds were never in general funds .

what is draining ss retirement is ss disability which is rampant with abuse and fraud and is now the new unemploym,ent insurance.it went broke from all the claims and billions had to be shifted from ss retirement to ssdi
Doesn't matter. The government still spends the money and replaces it with debt obligations. This means that in order replace the funds, the government has to get the money from new sources. This in turn means that when the government cannot pay recipients it has to borrow, raise the SS rates or raise general tax rates. As with any Ponzi-scheme, the initial participants got the best deal. We are experiencing the slow death, while raising rates and forcing debt on future generations, at gun point. This is not the way a free people should conduct ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:53 PM
 
65,697 posts, read 67,058,130 times
Reputation: 43985
any company in the world can issue debt obligations and spend the money anyway they like. look up the definition of ponzi scheme . you don't have it correct . ss can not be a ponzi scheme any more then pensions and insurance are ponzi schemes because they are funded by current users ..

it neither promises high rates of return , nor claims it's revenue comes from goods and services that don't exist .



What is a 'Ponzi Scheme'
A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investing scam promising high rates of return with little risk to investors. The Ponzi scheme generates returns for older investors by acquiring new investors. This is similar to a pyramid scheme in that both are based on using new investors' funds to pay the earlier backers and not the products or services that profits are supposed to be based on , which likely don't exist . For both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes, eventually there isn't enough money to go around, and the schemes unravel.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-02-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 05:57 PM
 
65,697 posts, read 67,058,130 times
Reputation: 43985
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Wow, number 1 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Consider that a significant amount of ones disposable lifetime earnings was confiscated into this program. It isn't a low cost insurance policy. It has essentially replaced most lower wage earners retirement saving ability. You might as well say that a spouse not get her husbands 401k.

As to the OP, SS is an abomination to freedom and a major reason most Americans retire broke. It was started as a Ponzi scheme and has only survived by raising rates and at gunpoint. It disables most Americans the ability to grow personal wealth to pass to their posterity.

A true fix for SS is a painful 20-30 year transition to a mandatory private system. The current path continues to raise rates(which further disables private wealth), involve forced redistribution and bankrupt future Americans.We are sadly stealing from future Americans to support this abomination.
you should only eat what you kill when it comes to ss . you should not be eating off of what your spouse killed anymore . those days should be gone . it should be no different for married then it is for singles .

ss is not an investment , ss is still an insurance like an annuity . ss is not like your 401k , those who die pay for those who live-that is how it works. it is no different then any other insurance where those with no events pay for those with events .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-02-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
2,009 posts, read 677,492 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
any company in the world can issue debt obligations and spend the money anyway they like. look up the definition of ponzi scheme . you don't have it correct . ss can not be a ponzi scheme any more then pensions and insurance are ponzi schemes because they are funded by current users ..

it neither promises high rates of return , nor claims it's revenue comes from goods and services that don't exist .



What is a 'Ponzi Scheme'
A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investing scam promising high rates of return with little risk to investors. The Ponzi scheme generates returns for older investors by acquiring new investors. This is similar to a pyramid scheme in that both are based on using new investors' funds to pay the earlier backers and not the products or services that profits are supposed to be based on , which likely don't exist . For both Ponzi schemes and pyramid schemes, eventually there isn't enough money to go around, and the schemes unravel.
Potato, potatoes. SS was initiated by paying out to those who had little or nothing contributed into it. The very first full recipient(Ida Mae Miller) paid in around 24.00 dollars and collected over 22k. The first payees paid in far less % than current payees. If it looks like a duck and quacks like as duck.

You claimed SS funds never went into the general fund, yet, the way it is accounted for is essentially the same as if it did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2018, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
2,009 posts, read 677,492 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you should only eat what you kill when it comes to ss . you should not be eating off of what your spouse killed anymore . those days should be gone . it should be no different for married then it is for singles .

ss is not an investment , ss is still an insurance like an annuity . ss is not like your 401k , those who die pay for those who live-that is how it works. it is no different then any other insurance where those with no events pay for those with events .
SS is a forced program that cost the contributor 12.4% of their income. This is not chicken feed. A better plan would be a mandatory private system that builds personal wealth for the contributor to pass to whom he pleases. 12.4% is way too costly for an insurance. It reflects just how poor the program is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top