Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,657,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's a great speech...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeVQzTVyLk

Old 12-21-2018, 07:16 AM

18,791 posts, read 8,401,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Excellent movie, one of my faves and Peter Sellers last movie.

The quote works very well right here and now!

All the SHT being strewn about by the Donald will allow our economy to grow from strong roots in the not too distant future! lol

Old 12-22-2018, 04:33 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,657,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
All the SHT being strewn about by the Donald will ...
That's one possible outcome.
Mostly it seems that we're just forced to tromp around in the SHT he creates.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:19 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,214,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's a great speech, it's almost like stumbling onto Goodfellas when channel flipping... it's still great the 67th time!

However economic contraction is not equivalent to deflation or civil war or whatever other stuff you've been spinning up whenever Nurse Ratched gives you internet time.
Sorry Lieqianq but every generation goes through a deflation and depression. It is built into the system, like Winter is built into the system. As long as our leaders, our mainstream economists, our thinkers have no understanding or wisdom they continue to think they can "figure it out" this time and only give us one side of nature, the Day side, the happy side, the fun side. They can't. TWO SIDES. Day AND NIGHT. During Day, the world grows. During Night it rests. During Spring nature grows. During Autumn it rests.

There is no perpetual growth. There is growth and rest. We NEED darkness, cold, contraction as much as we need light, heat and expansion.

Good Luck!

Old 12-24-2018, 01:24 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,387,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Our economy stopped expending in 2001. Greenspan understood that 2001 was the end of the Business Cycle. That is why he raised rates in 2005 and 2006. He knew he was supposed to begin raising rates, to limit more debt. He also knew that if he kept doing that he would be blamed. This is the guy who was a hero in 1999, cover of time magazine, the committee to save the world. So he retired. Turned it over to Bernanke, who had no clue and was still trying to fIX the 1930's.

Bernanke is a Mad Men. Instead of limiting debt he encouraged it, chose to delay deflation. So now we have a HUGE FED balance sheet (and HUGE CB balance sheets in Japan and the EU) that will and must be unwound. Rates will go up, currencies will strengthen. And we will get that necessary DEFLATION the Bernanke Put only delayed. The good side? Prices will collapse; housing will become affordable; homelessness will be largely solved. Medicine will become affordable. Education (higher) will become affordable. Food and cars will see prices cater.
Savings will grow. The Speculator class will be driven off with the wind.

It won't all be bad.

Debt will face the Big Crunch.

Good Luck!!!
I'm not disagreeing with you CB but I've been hearing about the coming deflation for about 10 years.

Has it started yet?

Stats?

Old 12-24-2018, 01:37 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,825,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Including your meds.
Yeah, Bernanke is a mad men, didn't you know? Apparently, he's more than one person to our OP.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:42 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,825,967 times
Even though our CD prognosticators of doom are almost certainly wrong with their specifics and timing...I think they are directionally correct. The U.S. and most other developed countries have oversized bureaucracies, aging populations, sluggish economic growth, low birth rates, massive money printing, and high and increasing debt levels. These are not good signs.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:00 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,214,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you CB but I've been hearing about the coming deflation for about 10 years.

Has it started yet?

Stats?
Deflation is build in our system and cannot be avoided. Bernanke delayed deflation and tried the weak dollar escapade. Now we are in a real mess, because of this. We have the largest Debt Bubble in the history of humanity. The FED is worried about this and is trying to discourage more debt 17 years too late. Should have begun (higher rates) in 2001.

No easy way out. DEFLATION must be served. Strong Dollar; weak everything else. We should have faced this in 2001. We did not. So we are having to face it now.

Good Luck!

Old 12-24-2018, 03:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,387,303 times
Quote:
Deflation is build in our system and cannot be avoided. Bernanke delayed deflation and tried the weak dollar escapade. Now we are in a real mess, because of this. We have the largest Debt Bubble in the history of humanity. The FED is worried about this and is trying to discourage more debt 17 years too late. Should have begun (higher rates) in 2001.

No easy way out. DEFLATION must be served. Strong Dollar; weak everything else. We should have faced this in 2001. We did not. So we are having to face it now.

Good Luck!
On a related note, if the USD does strengthen I will transfer my more funds in my foreign non-USD account to the US.

I've been checking the ratios lately.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:20 AM

106,114 posts, read 108,094,712 times
Quote:

Good Luck!
nonsense!!!!!!! deflation here is as rare as you being correct all these years in your predictions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics