U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:13 PM

3,335 posts, read 3,563,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
I thought Jews turned away from farming because they couldn't make enough money farming to be able to pay for the expensive jewish education for their sons.
No, Jews were forbidden to own land and farming since around the times of the first crusade in the year 1095AD. They were also barred from holding posts in the government or military throughout Europe, and excluded from membership in crafts guilds. Although some kings employed them as tax collectors.
Quote:
So they became money changers since muslims were kind enough to let them finance international trade and war. LOL. the Rothchilds.
They became money lenders, because the church declared charging interest (usury) a sin to Christians, so only Jews were allowed to be money lenders. In some European lands, the Jews were restricted from everything except money lending and peddling. The king would also levy special taxes on Jews, or special taxes on Jews were applied if they entered a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 04:46 PM

14,897 posts, read 19,040,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZircon View Post
I am 24, black, and live and have lived in majority black neighborhoods. I find it a bit embarrassing to notice that many owners of businesses large or small in majority black neighborhoods are not owned or run by black people. Personally, I know next to nothing of economics, credit, and managing businesses overall.

Finance-wise, how or why did so many non-blacks manage to run nail salons, gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets, etc in black neighborhoods?

My intent is not to offend people but to seek advice on what can we as black people do to step up economically in terms of ownership and credit. I assume you have to have good credit, but what are some specific step-by-step guides in terms of the necessary paperwork such as licensing and permits, or if a degree is necessary, on owning and starting a business like a nail salon, beauty supply store, gas stations, restaurant, etc.

I live in the Miami, Florida area if that matters.
Americans are not going to know the answer to this, so I'll give you the answer (assuming that you want an answer, since you only have 1 post)

1. Education:
Many of those latinos, arabs, asians are inmigrants that either already had a business or a college degree that gives them the knowledge on how to start a business that will succeed.

2. Money:
Many of them (listed above) came to the US with lots of money to start a business or come from family with lots of money that help them finance their new business.

3. People are used to a very low quality of life:
There's also the group of poor inmigrants that become succesful business people with a taco truck, mowing yard, etc.
They become succesful because they were used to a very low quality of life and don't mind living in a house with 20 strangers if needed to succeed in life.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:51 PM

15,628 posts, read 15,563,605 times
Learn the business first, and learn it well.

Want to own a convenience-store, work at one and learn all aspects.........ditto for any type business.

Do the above and you can be a Black business-owner, in a Black, or whatever neighborhood.

Last edited by tickyul; 12-21-2018 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-21-2018, 07:54 PM

10,018 posts, read 14,296,550 times
I have simple answer, OP.
Because they are not whites.

That's it. Blacks don't have beef with all the ones you mentioned. They have beef with whites.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 1,367,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Americans are not going to know the answer to this...
Chee, t'anks for 'splainin' all dat.

/closethread time

Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 PM

24,989 posts, read 27,221,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZircon View Post
I am 24, black, and live and have lived in majority black neighborhoods. I find it a bit embarrassing to notice that many owners of businesses large or small in majority black neighborhoods are not owned or run by black people. Personally, I know next to nothing of economics, credit, and managing businesses overall.

Finance-wise, how or why did so many non-blacks manage to run nail salons, gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets, etc in black neighborhoods?

My intent is not to offend people but to seek advice on what can we as black people do to step up economically in terms of ownership and credit. I assume you have to have good credit, but what are some specific step-by-step guides in terms of the necessary paperwork such as licensing and permits, or if a degree is necessary, on owning and starting a business like a nail salon, beauty supply store, gas stations, restaurant, etc.

I live in the Miami, Florida area if that matters.
You probably want to consult this guy's YouTube Channel and maybe reach out to him.

He goes way too far with the white supremacy stuff, IMO, but he still offers practical advice and doesn't let black folks off the hook for not doing stuff with their lives, not being more entrepreneurial, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/drboycewatkins/videos

In my opinion, a lot of it starts with the family. Building wealth and owning businesses starts with getting a good foundation. When you have a 70% out of wedlock birth rate, most people who grow up in such homes don't get the foundation they need to be successful in life. Pretty much all the statistics, even from liberal research institutes (such as Brookings Institution) back this up.

If you'll notice the family structure of small business owners of various ethnic groups, you'll tend to find a much higher prevalence of married 2 parent families as well as a strong extended family network. The emphasis on what's important in life generally is about delayed gratification (studying in school, working hard, etc.) The book The Triple Package by Harvard researchers Rubinstein & Chua talks about how economically successful groups in America get that way. They mention some of the characteristics of Nigerian immigrants, among many others.

Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.460123571b53

Old 12-21-2018, 09:47 PM

10,003 posts, read 2,725,015 times
"Businesses" that the OP might notice are, by definitely, probably in the retail and service trades.

These DO NOT require education, education and education....they require a knack, one that black folks have as well as anyone else. I spent a career in retail and never saw the inside of a college (didn't learn anything in high school either).

The subject is more complex than can be addressed in a simple post...but suffice it to say there are plenty of people out there right now who would line up to give you (or me) money if we started an honest business.

No scenario speaks for a entire group of people, but having been somewhat familiar with black communities (born and raised Philadelphia), I think that the lack of resources and time are a BIG drag. To succeed in business, one needs to have many bases already covered - housing, food, transportation, etc.

Then they need some capital - and plenty of skills (but not what they teach in school...in many cases).

Then the right business idea(s) are needed. 4 out of 5 new businesses don't succeed. You can have better odds if you think things through and plan longer...rather than jumping in.

I think a lot of people (not races, colors, types) are not cut out to be in business for themselves. I built a couple really nice business and at one point I tried to GIVE them to the employees and the employees declined. They said they liked working for me.

I'm old enough to be partially honest. In the late 1960's when we inhaled many of us would buy X amount and then sell X amount and keep the profit (for whatever use!).....that's the basics of retail!

So when we (wife and I) started our store (with product in our dining room and a classified ad in the pennysaver) - and we made our first sales, I felt like I was "the dealer" all over again (selling heating appliances, etc.)...but all legal and much more money this time!

The Trades (carpentry, masonry, etc.) are also great ways to work around to starting a business. If you are a smart and hard worker you can put a couple years in working for someone who teaches you everything (you'll learn what TO do and what NOT to do)...

That opens up opportunities galore, from contracting to flipping real estate to owning rental units.

I do agree that the largest hurdle is often the capital to get up and running and stay that way for a while. I don't know a full solution to that, but suppose there are community non-profits that know the right answers.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:52 PM

10,003 posts, read 2,725,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You probably want to consult this guy's YouTube Channel and maybe reach out to him.

He goes way too far with the white supremacy stuff, IMO, but he still offers practical advice and doesn't let black folks off the hook for not doing stuff with their lives, not being more entrepreneurial, etc.

In my opinion, a lot of it starts with the family. Building wealth and owning businesses starts with getting a good foundation. When you have a 70% out of wedlock birth rate, most people who grow up in such homes don't get the foundation they need to be successful in life. Pretty much all the statistics, even from liberal research institutes (such as Brookings Institution) back this up.
Am I missing something here or is most of this stuff not relevant to anything a 24+ year old who is looking to go into business able to change????

We don't pick our place of birth, position in society or culture...or even geographic location.....

So, school me here, what good does saying "If only, then" do?

Would me posting an explanation of slavery and all the harm done as a prelude to business advice help someone?

Old 12-21-2018, 10:31 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,033,955 times
[quote=BlueZircon;53933364]I am 24, black, and live and have lived in majority black neighborhoods. I find it a bit embarrassing to notice that many owners of businesses large or small in majority black neighborhoods are not owned or run by black people. Personally, I know next to nothing of economics, credit, and managing businesses overall.

Hi, can you take classes at community college in business management? A 2 year associates would be really good toward your goal. More pwoer to you, I agree that this needs to happen. Self empowerment is good.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,033,955 times
Default your comment is really wrong-disgusting!

[quote=mysticaltyger;53949296]You probably want to consult this guy's YouTube Channel and maybe reach out to him.

He goes way too far with the white supremacy stuff, IMO,

Disgusting you would rec the watch a white supremacist You Tube guy. Eff that!

They can go to hell with their misguided incorrect theories. Next time stay out of the convo-have some damn decency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or