Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We tend to think about quality of life in the west, USA, Canada, and Europe. What about India, China, Africa? Their quality of life is generally not as good as ours. They live with hunger and disease. Even in the America's, there are pockets of misery, starvation, disease.

You are correct about the rat race. Happiness is not dependent on a great deal of money, often times it equates to another kind of misery, high blood pressure, tension, the constant striving to keep up with others who may have more. I don't know what the answer is, in fact, there may not be an answer. I feel very fortunate to have grown up when I did, in the mid 50's. I had a wonderful career in natural resources, kept my family fed and housed. I feel a lot more worried about millennial's. My daughter is in her early 30's and I see her and many of her generation struggling more then my generation. I sincerely hope things work out for them.
The only answer for every single soul on this planet may be try to make the best of whatever life throws their way. The world isn’t fair, some are born in real third world poverty while others are born in wealth. What else can one do but try to make the best out of their current situation even though so much is out of their control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
US population figures are fake.

how do you think they get the numbers?
actually, 1,2,3, counting? well, no. they ask.
and the answers are taken as the truth.
i am guilty of this in terms of political
phone surveys. i respond as a 35
year-old. i wish as does my wife.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:25 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
Yeah America! Keep up the good work.
Now sort out how to focus that fewer baby thing on the cohort that most needs to practice it.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:46 AM

281 posts, read 308,976 times
Quote:
If that's the case we need to put more dollars into space exploration. This earth is being affected right now. Unending growth forever is going to kill us. It can't all be about economics. What about quality of life? The fastest growing countries are the poorest, with lot's of starving children. Is this a good thing? We need a different model. An ever expanding work force is unsustainable.
OMG! Finally someone said it! "What about quality of life?" When people are talking about how many mean spirited those of us who don't want unchecked illegal immigration are, they love to bring up how rich the United States is oh, how we can afford to take care of them, and how their numbers help us economically. (Taxes, bolster social security, keep produce costs down, etc.) But damn it, what about quality of life? I don't want to sit in 2 hour traffic to go 30 miles! I don't want four hour waits at the hospital emergency room! I don't want cities so congested, there's almost no aesthetic appeal! I don't want every tree in the state cut down to provide housing for this ridiculous overpopulation! I could go on and on, but it seems people, especially liberals, totally don't consider quality of life when they're deciding how much American citizens are able to bear when helping someone else!

Old 12-21-2018, 04:11 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Quote:
This is good news. Population growth needs to slow as much as possible. 7+ billion on this planet is too much. We are affecting climate, using resources at an unsustainable rate, experiencing far too much starvation. We need more effective birth control in 3rd world countries.
None of this is a problem in the USA. Overpopulation is a problem in underdeveloped parts of Africa and Asia primarily

Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,763,461 times
Government should figure something out in regards to daycare for pre-k children. Costs are out of control in that respect

Old 12-22-2018, 03:27 AM

119 posts, read 95,428 times
It's heading to zero because the economy is going nowhere but down from here. Who's going to have children when the majority of new jobs are not even paying a living wage?

Old 12-22-2018, 04:36 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
It's heading to zero because ...
It NEEDS to go to zero.
Then it needs to go negative too.

The only problem we have is that the least able aren't the ones cutting back.
THAT has to be fixed.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:58 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
This is good news. Population growth needs to slow as much as possible. 7+ billion on this planet is too much. We are affecting climate, using resources at an unsustainable rate, experiencing far too much starvation. We need more effective birth control in 3rd world countries.

All those are myths-- note that 50% of all humans live within 50 miles of an ocean (ie- plenty of empty space)...that 12 billion people could all tread water in Lake Superior at the same time....that world food production far exceeds needs and is predicted to increase by 25% over the next decade (starvation now is only seen in politically unstable regions, for logistic reasons)...and that there is no natural resource that is in any danger of depletion over the next several centuries (name one if you can)...there is exactly ZERO proof that Man is responsible for any change in climate. (I'll concede that destruction of habitat is a problem in many areas).

Population growth is an easy way to grow an economy-- you don't need to build a better mousetrap ...you just gotta build another mousetrap to make a bigger profit.

OTOH-- availability of food, water, air and shelter are no longer the limiting factors in carry capacity for H.sapiens.... availability of jobs is. ...Will there be too many people for the number of jobs or too few jobs for the number of people?

Old 12-22-2018, 05:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
It's heading to zero because the economy is going nowhere but down from here. Who's going to have children when the majority of new jobs are not even paying a living wage?
People living on the public dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics