Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 AM

909 posts, read 545,397 times

Advertisements

Wow I didn't know this.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us...ars-2018-12-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
This is good news. Population growth needs to slow as much as possible. 7+ billion on this planet is too much. We are affecting climate, using resources at an unsustainable rate, experiencing far too much starvation. We need more effective birth control in 3rd world countries.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,804,405 times
It may not be good news for the financial basis of the federal government 25-30 years from today. Fewer workers mean lower income and social security taxes paid (unless, of course, the tax rates are raised).

Old 12-20-2018, 09:11 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Assuming all other factors equal, you need an ever-expanding workforce to pay for entitlements for the then retiring/retired generation.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:25 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
It is bad news. Every econometric model of growth of GDP has an increase in population as the most important variable.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Assuming all other factors equal, you need an ever-expanding workforce to pay for entitlements for the then retiring/retired generation.

If that's the case we need to put more dollars into space exploration. This earth is being affected right now. Unending growth forever is going to kill us. It can't all be about economics. What about quality of life? The fastest growing countries are the poorest, with lot's of starving children. Is this a good thing? We need a different model. An ever expanding work force is unsustainable.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
This is good news. Population growth needs to slow as much as possible. 7+ billion on this planet is too much. We are affecting climate, using resources at an unsustainable rate, experiencing far too much starvation. We need more effective birth control in 3rd world countries.
7,000,000,000% correct on every word you say.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:58 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,892 times
Quote:
If that's the case we need to put more dollars into space exploration. This earth is being affected right now. Unending growth forever is going to kill us. It can't all be about economics. What about quality of life? The fastest growing countries are the poorest, with lot's of starving children. Is this a good thing? We need a different model. An ever expanding work force is unsustainable.
Exactly what about quality of life!? I always say people may be living longer but are they actually happier? Most people spend their waking hours in the rate race, stuck in soul sucking traffic, 8 hours+ a day in a cube farm under artificial light, to help contribute to an economy that must always be growing and consuming more and more and more and more or else it will coming crashing down!!!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:00 PM

780 posts, read 425,392 times
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Exactly what about quality of life!? I always say people may be living longer but are they actually happier? Most people spend their waking hours in the rate race, stuck in soul sucking traffic, 8 hours+ a day in a cube farm under artificial light, to help contribute to an economy that must always be growing and consuming more and more and more and more or else it will coming crashing down!!!

We tend to think about quality of life in the west, USA, Canada, and Europe. What about India, China, Africa? Their quality of life is generally not as good as ours. They live with hunger and disease. Even in the America's, there are pockets of misery, starvation, disease.

You are correct about the rat race. Happiness is not dependent on a great deal of money, often times it equates to another kind of misery, high blood pressure, tension, the constant striving to keep up with others who may have more. I don't know what the answer is, in fact, there may not be an answer. I feel very fortunate to have grown up when I did, in the mid 50's. I had a wonderful career in natural resources, kept my family fed and housed. I feel a lot more worried about millennial's. My daughter is in her early 30's and I see her and many of her generation struggling more then my generation. I sincerely hope things work out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics