Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
My USAA cash back rewards card pays 1.5 percent on everything and no annual fee. I don't know how the OP got a 2.5 per cent rewards card, maybe special offer a long time ago? Most important, my card is compatible with chip and pin security in other countries, and there is no foreign transaction fee. Those two things are a big deal to me because I spend three months during the summer in Germany. I don't know of any other no fee cash rewards cards with no foreign transaction fee, and that are compatible with international chip and pin security.
Capital One Rewards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 04:24 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,373,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Capital One Rewards.
No, Capital One rewards cards are not chip and pin, they are chip and signature. I need chip and pin when making purchases at the credit card terminals at everywhere I shop in Germany. This comes from Capital One website:

Both Chip and PIN and Chip and Signature cards offer better fraud protection than traditional magnetic stripe cards. The only difference is that the Chip and PIN card requires you to enter a PIN at checkout while the Chip and Signature card only requires your signature. Good news! Capital One chip cards will be Chip and Signature cards, so there’s no additional PIN to remember.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:53 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
My USAA cash back rewards card pays 1.5 percent on everything and no annual fee. I don't know how the OP got a 2.5 per cent rewards card, maybe special offer a long time ago? Most important, my card is compatible with chip and pin security in other countries, and there is no foreign transaction fee. Those two things are a big deal to me because I spend three months during the summer in Germany. I don't know of any other no fee cash rewards cards with no foreign transaction fee, and that are compatible with international chip and pin security.
They were offering it sometime within the last 1 to 2 years; I forget the exact time frame I applied for my card.

You can still read about the card, though it's no longer being offered: https://www.creditcards.com/reviews/...t-card-review/

Old 12-25-2018, 01:09 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
No, Capital One rewards cards are not chip and pin, they are chip and signature. I need chip and pin when making purchases at the credit card terminals at everywhere I shop in Germany. This comes from Capital One website:

Both Chip and PIN and Chip and Signature cards offer better fraud protection than traditional magnetic stripe cards. The only difference is that the Chip and PIN card requires you to enter a PIN at checkout while the Chip and Signature card only requires your signature. Good news! Capital One chip cards will be Chip and Signature cards, so there’s no additional PIN to remember.
Just from personal experience, but I was able to use Pin.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:12 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Fidelity Visa works for me, 2 % cash back on everything, auto deposited in my account, no fee. Life is complicated enough without having to track which card to use.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:16 AM

6,361 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Two cards with no annual fees, Discover and AMX Cash. Both of these offer 5% on certain purchases for specific months, so I only use these two cards and get lots of cash dollars deducted from my statements.

For the month of January, Discover cash back is 5% for groceries. That is pretty decent!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:37 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
2.5% cash back is terrific!

I use three cards:

Chase Sapphire Reserve, 3% back on travel & dining, primary rental car insurance, extra year of warranty
Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5% back on everything
Chase Freedom, 5% back on rotating categories

If I use that return as Ultimate Rewards points on travel, I get a 50% bonus. Maximizing this can get us a nice trip or two per year!

Old 01-02-2019, 01:41 PM

661 posts, read 631,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
2.5% cash back is terrific!

I use three cards:

Chase Sapphire Reserve, 3% back on travel & dining, primary rental car insurance, extra year of warranty
Chase Freedom Unlimited, 1.5% back on everything
Chase Freedom, 5% back on rotating categories

If I use that return as Ultimate Rewards points on travel, I get a 50% bonus. Maximizing this can get us a nice trip or two per year!
I have the same trifecta of Chase cards.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:20 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Are there any cards in 2019 that can beat the USAA card in general spend (2.5% on everything)?

Old 09-06-2019, 11:55 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Are there any cards in 2019 that can beat the USAA card in general spend (2.5% on everything)?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics