U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 06:18 PM

6,622 posts, read 3,685,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I don't think Scrooge meets the criteria of Sociopath, which pretty well encompasses the constituency of the truly evil. Sociopaths, unlike Scrooge, are incurable in their lack of empathy and remorse, and go out of their way to make people miserable.
No, he wasn't a sociopath. Just someone who over the years fell into bad habits of thought, and needed to be forcefully jarred out of them before it was too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 10:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 2,915,693 times
Scrooge is not truly a bad person because if he were, he would not have changed. He was a product of how he was raised. He did what he needed to do to make himself financially successful. He appeared to have been honest about it. His problem was he didn't recognize the needs or suffering of those around him. He had to see himself as the other people saw him before he realized what he was missing out on. Scrooge made mistakes, but the others around him were imperfect also. The sum of his mistakes was probably no better or worse than anyone else's.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:16 AM

7,716 posts, read 2,442,209 times
Dickens' character of Scrooge has played an important role in the lives of many young people. As Dickens intended, he became an example of how not to live one's life. I remember that our class in school read the story out loud, each reading a paragraph or two. We were all influenced by it and became so happy that even Scrooge finally saw the light, about how important it is for us all to care for one another.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 AM

310 posts, read 107,966 times
Scrooge doesn't seem like a real person at all, unlike Bob Cratchitt's family who are fleshed out so that we thoroughly like them and would love to be at their Christmas dinner. Is Scrooge "bad" or just "sad", I'm sure there are some people who think he was a successful businessman (previous post) because that is what matters (to them) financial success rules above all.

I liked reading anything Dickens wrote when younger because he is so readable but as a female there isn't much for me to have in common with, the women are either secondary characters or very passive. Victorian England wasn't a great time for women.

If modern men think Scrooge got his priorities wrong then yay. Tiny Tim and his dad Bob made the story interesting. Old white guy Scrooge is sadly too common to be compelling even though he got elected president.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:47 AM

2,566 posts, read 1,803,674 times
I've always felt that scrooge was the embodiment of a modern day conservative. Without getting political:

-reduce minimum wages
-no medical benefits or holidays
-no charity or social security

I think I could go on. The only unbelievable part is the turn around at the end when he becomes a liberal.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:56 AM

There are Scrooges around even now. All of the characters in this book exist in everyday life in every time period. Scrooge isn't necessarily a man. He isn't necessarily white. He is just a person who is blind to the struggling of the people around him. He doesn't enjoy things just for enjoying them. Helping other people would enrich his life, but he doesn't know that. Whether he is morally obligated to help the other people, I'm not convinced of that. Did those other people ever out of the goodness of their heart unselfishly bother to help him see a better side? Or were they just connected to him because of his money? I don't know. I don't really see him as better or worse than anyone else because he was never an intentionally mean person. He just had human faults.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I've always felt that scrooge was the embodiment of a modern day conservative. Without getting political:

-reduce minimum wages
-no medical benefits or holidays
-no charity or social security

I think I could go on. The only unbelievable part is the turn around at the end when he becomes a liberal.
This made me lol especially the last line.

I'm not convinced charity belongs to either party. I know many people who are charitable. Many do it privately without having to announce it. I think some people are loud about how much charity they provide. I'm not convinced of how much help they legitimately provide.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:07 PM

9,207 posts, read 5,038,185 times
What's the difference between Scrooge and Will Riker?

Totally for they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. We know how Scrooge is but with Riker, it's "When the train comes in, everyone rides.".

Long story short, it pleases Riker to feel God like in a good sense, that his need for such is to have as many people happy as his world permits. He is similar to Commander Cain (Lloyd Bridges)in that the enormous energy he produces keeps his troops going. Similar energy output but perhaps, perhaps, for a different reason.

Scrooge, on the other hand, probably lacks that energy and even more so, has fallen into a trap where he believes telling everyone how it should be robs others of that energy.

Mind you, this is the classic Scrooge and not the Henry Winkler version for there he was intentionally bringing in misery. I am not sure how to rate the Arthur C. Carlson version but the Ray Watson (A Bionic Christmas) version was similar to Winkler for not only was he delivering punishment but he was putting others at risk.

As such, let's put that to a question of "I have done was is legal and is required. Is it my fault that people still are hurt afterwards?"

We-ll, when one is in position of leadership, perhaps it is. At the very least, the more one goes beyond the minimal, perhaps the less damned they will be.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:53 PM

209 posts, read 118,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He wasn't a BAD man... he was a SAD man.

He forget the real reason to be doing all that he did every day.
(however honorably conducted or not)
This rings true. Dickens was pushing a particular political viewpoint and created a caricature in order to do so. Scrooge was not generous, charitable, or joyful, but he was not evil by any standard that respects private property or mutually agreed upon contracts.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:55 PM

74,530 posts, read 66,170,563 times
Because he didn't have a heart.Remember--that's what makes us human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or