U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 10:20 PM

11,615 posts, read 7,016,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
People who spend time trying to cast Scrooge in a good light are the sort of people who value a cent more than basic humanity. Those who want to care about nothing more than the balance sheet are free to do so. However, they should not expect a pat on the head and validation from the world at large. They're certainly not going to get it from me.

(and if they can't handle that, then aren't they quite the snowflakes!)
Not all the posts in this thread are "progressive" blather, but among those which are, this one is either the most simplistic, or the most deliberately deceptive.

In Dickens' England and Dickens' time, physical productivity -- the ability to produce and improve the basics of daily life, was expanding at a rate never before encountered (and that rate of expansion would increase much further and faster); what was yet to be fully understood was the method by which the benefits of industrialization found their ways into the lives of ordinary citizens, And the legacy of the Enclosure Acts, which forced the peasantry into urban slums, would cloud the picture for many more years,

None of these effects, nor their causes, found their way into Dickens writings, for reasons which are obvious; sentimentality sells -- and pragmatism doesn't. Scrooge had to be depicted as a hostile miser, even though many more-enlightened individuals held to a less-harsh stance at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why is it bad to be rich and be fine with your employees living in poverty? If you don't see a problem with that, nothing I can say will change your mind.

He could have made a huge difference to others, with very little impact to himself.
Because, in many instances, the small employer, competing in a small market, can't afford to put him/herself at a disadvantage if his/her competitors don't; he/she may be able to recognize and pay lip service to the more-enlightened of the workforce, but too many roles in the post-industrial economy are dull, repetitive, and too often based upon the immediate impressions of a choosey recipient of soon-forgotten personal service. Too often the role of a front- line supervisor is to get the thankless, gritty jobs done, day after day -- to hold noses to the grindstone and crack the whip.

(Yes. my little Snowflakes, we know: "trickle-down" economics is sooo slow, and sooo unattractive to those with a short attention span; better to promise "redistribution", despite the fact that most of what you seek to seize and dedistribute will simply vanish if you start rattling your sabers.

We've seen plenty of oversimplified hate-mongering in this forum over the past couple of days; It's coming from "the usual suspects/quarters", and the strength of the vitriol is clearly intensifying. And it remains to be seen how Scrooge's intended contemporary -- the current occupant of the White House -- plays his hand. But I'm not unconvinced that he has a clearer picture of his role and choice of strategies than he's letting on.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-25-2018 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 10:43 PM

29,062 posts, read 18,391,944 times
Why is it bad to be rich and be fine with your employees living in poverty? If you don't see a problem with that, nothing I can say will change your mind.

He could have made a huge difference to others, with very little impact to himself.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 PM

7,487 posts, read 2,765,473 times
He was considered bad because he wasn't throwing money around all the time, it seems.

I didn't think he was horrible. Just very frugal. There were other issues in his life stemming from his childhood.

Scrooge wasn't living a lavish lifestyle himself. He lived below his means so his lifestyle wasn't much different from the Cratchitt's.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Scrooge wasn't living a lavish lifestyle himself. He lived below his means so his lifestyle wasn't much different from the Cratchitt's.
What? And when did the story go into his childhood?

Old 12-25-2018, 11:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 2,915,693 times
Quote:
I think at least one of the movies show him at boarding school. Everyone else leaves and he is left behind.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think at least one of the movies show him at boarding school. Everyone else leaves and he is left behind.
Which one? Not saying it doesn't exist, but saying this is not the typical story line.

Wait. Is this Scrooge McDuck?!!

Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Which one? Not saying it doesn't exist, but saying this is not the typical story line.

Wait. Is this Scrooge McDuck?!!
I'm not sure which version I saw. It was human actors. It's in the Wiki too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Scrooge

Old 12-25-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm not sure which version I saw. It was human actors. It's in the Wiki too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenezer_Scrooge
So not the original author's intent?

Old 12-25-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
So not the original author's intent?
The Wiki link says it was also in the book.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:50 PM

7,487 posts, read 2,765,473 times
Quote:
You never read the book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or