U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:18 AM

5,277 posts, read 3,529,333 times

Advertisements

Aviation in the U.S. was about to grind to a halt as air traffic controllers and flight attendants warned that they would not be able to function much longer. Had the shutdown gone on those two groups would have done massive sickouts.

I thought that would happen but not for a few more weeks.

I guess people on C-D don't think aviation is an important economic sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 AM

5,830 posts, read 1,719,880 times
no worries, the people in charge of the TSA know who the employees who worked the extra shifts and those that called in sick. They'll remember commitment at promotion time.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

6,430 posts, read 6,807,819 times
Two words: Sooper Bohwl.
I don't think big money, NFL and aviation, wanted any disruptions in travel coming up.

I think the ground-stops at major airports got people's attention and some phone calls were made.
T S A agents had been having higher call out rates. But it wasn't until the ATCs, and others got sick of the situation that the pressure really mounted. If not for those additional supports and the upcoming game I still think the shutdown would be happening. I don't think people gave a hoot about just the TSA folks calling out.

IF, IF the government closes again there's no one big event workers can count on to save them....not until maybe the NCAA's March madness, specifically the men's final. And even that's not as big as "The Big Game." (Maybe the NCAAs and spring breaks hitting back to back would do it...maybe.)
TPTB have shown they will furlough people for more than a month? so why not two months, or more?

IF, IF the government closes again (OK it's not all closed, but you know what I mean).....it will sure be interesting to see how -- and how quickly -- workers "respond" the second time around.

Old Today, 10:22 PM

6,183 posts, read 7,713,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We understand it's a non-event for you, your investments and your daily gazing out at the working masses.

Six hundred thousand "don't matters" had no income for a month, and many had to make irreversible steps such as cashing out CDs, taking money from expensive sources or selling personal goods to put food on the table. Yes, they'll get their pay eventually... but when you're broke after 20 days and have no idea when your pay will show up, you don't go "oh, well" and light another cigar.

Southwest Airlines had to make an expensive postponement of their Hawaii service. Irreplaceable losses.

National parks took irreparable damage because there were no rangers to keep your cousins from making new trails in their ORVs and cutting down rare trees for fun and firewood.

Yup, non-event because it didn't inconvenience you personally. Got it.
A big inconvenience is when people lost their job due to no fault of their own and it's permenent. No tears from me for the over paid and benefits whiners seeing a delay in getting paid because of a disfunctional political system . Fed gov employees were inconvenienced like having zit is. Permanent job losses over fed gov policy decudions is like having cancer. That's what a serious crisis is. Where we're those who are crying for fed workers then? They didn't care it was flyover country. Probably all who lost jobs are racist or deplorablem so it's karma or something like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or