U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:01 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,166,852 times

Advertisements

"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family."

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...l-counts-abou/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 11:06 AM

32,803 posts, read 40,204,390 times
Although it was disproven immediately you still have people here who have continued to say the same things.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:18 AM

67,134 posts, read 68,085,135 times
i love terms like everyone and no one.. as soon as you see that you can discount whatever is being said as false..
i can't say i personally know anyone working 80 hours or two jobs

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-05-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 12:58 PM

2,374 posts, read 1,508,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i love terms like everyone and no one.. as soon as you see that you can discount whatever is being said as false..
Donít forget they also canít feed their family while working 80 hours and having two jobs.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 PM

4,676 posts, read 1,545,044 times
The OP's contention may be wrong, but there is clearly something wrong with employment in this country, despite the glowing number-of-jobs and unemployment rates. There has been no corresponding increase in family income or financial well-being, no reductions in various forms of financial aid, and while it's anecdotal, there sure seem to be a hell of a lot of people who can't get a job - even an inadequate one - in this 'scraping the barrel' market.

The last time I remember 2% unemployment, fast food restaurants etc. were propping up zombies at counters and so forth. I have not noticed any particular syndrome of substandard, fill-in workers this time around.

I think the numbers are "honest" as far as they go - but for various reasons, no longer measure anything of particular value. Yes, there are X number of jobs and in theory only X number of unsuccessful job-seekers... but that completely ignores pay levels, job quality, net income etc. - and multiple jobs.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:27 PM

18,500 posts, read 13,588,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
"Unemployment is low because everyone has two jobs. Unemployment is low because people are working 60, 70, 80 hours a week and can barely feed their family."
She's a liar and just another Liberal not in touch with Reality.

Only 8,030,000 Americans hold multiple jobs. By comparison, there were 7,791,000 Americans holding multiple jobs in year 2000.

While it might appear that the more Americans are holding multiple jobs, that is in fact false.

There were 213,736,000 working-age Americans in year 2000, or 3.6% had multiple jobs, while today only 3.1% hold multiple jobs.

If you examine the data going back to 1994, what you can conclude is that roughly 3.2% of Americans have always had multiple jobs and that figure is largely unchanged over time. That is quite often by choice, and not by necessity.

Men work an average of 40.8 hours per week, while women average 36.2 hours per week.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:10 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,177,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Well, you loosely know me on here, and my OH works two jobs. Granted you dont "personally " ( in person) know me.
You loosely know other people on here who work two jobs.

If my OH had ALL the hours both jobs are supposed to provide, my OH would be working 50+ hours a week, but neither job has guaranteed hours unfortunately. Many of the people my OH works with have 2 jobs, its common here. So is minimum wage., which is lower here upstate than in you down there in the city.

It depends where you live, and jobs available and pay rates for said jobs.

And granted houses here dont go for a million as a rule, but houses are generally out of reach fir most employees here.

LPN s here only make about $16 hr on average. My best friends wife is one, and i suggested she apply for a job i saw on indeed.com. as an LPN she is now on the high end at $25/hr, whereas at the hospital she went from $14/hr at a dr.s office to $18. Shes now happy at the $25.

My OH tried to do the LPN thing, but is dyslexic badly, and messed up the pretesting by misreadibg things and no they won't give it aurally.

Ah well.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM

1,196 posts, read 616,848 times
VeryBadGnome, I've often heard that average or median working hours per week, per employee are less for almost all industrial nations, in comparison to the United States.
I'm also aware that unemployment rates do not factor in the segment of our population that gave up their futile search for employment.

Jobs are less meaningful if they do not provide with sufficient purchasing power. Jobs are less attainable for the segment of our population that have not benefited from training, educational and other experiences to do the work, or if they lack the documentation or the appearances that are required of prospective employees.

Regarding jobs' purchasing powers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
The Tiger, USA's median wage's purchasing power indicates the financial condition of USA's middle-income bracket's earners. If the purchasing power of our federal minimum wage rate's insufficient, then our median wage rate cannot be sufficient.

Our federal minimum wage rate to some extent bolsters ALL USA wage scales, (but it doesn't bolster them all equally).
It's effect is proportional to the difference between the minimum and as the job's rate. It has a greater proportional effect upon lower, and a lesser effect upon higher wage rates.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM

343 posts, read 216,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
She's a liar and just another Liberal not in touch with Reality.

Only 8,030,000 Americans hold multiple jobs. By comparison, there were 7,791,000 Americans holding multiple jobs in year 2000.

While it might appear that the more Americans are holding multiple jobs, that is in fact false.

There were 213,736,000 working-age Americans in year 2000, or 3.6% had multiple jobs, while today only 3.1% hold multiple jobs.

If you examine the data going back to 1994, what you can conclude is that roughly 3.2% of Americans have always had multiple jobs and that figure is largely unchanged over time. That is quite often by choice, and not by necessity.

Men work an average of 40.8 hours per week, while women average 36.2 hours per week.

Where did you get this, Wikipedia? I've worked 2 jobs for 30 years, most teachers I know work 2 jobs, thus math is wrong or I'm getting ill compensated for being your child's babysitter.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 1,545,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Where did you get this, Wikipedia? I've worked 2 jobs for 30 years, most teachers I know work 2 jobs, thus math is wrong or I'm getting ill compensated for being your child's babysitter.
It's probably correct as far as it goes; M is often selective about his cites but not inaccurate.

They're probably official government numbers... which, in my increasing opinion, very carefully measure and report numbers that are no longer connected to job and employment reality. (Reporting methodology, for example, treats multiple jobs as an aberration; it's almost certain that it's not treating multiple job holders accurately in this economy.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or