U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

3,490 posts, read 5,164,395 times

Advertisements

I still haven't seen a response to this question even though another poster has already put if forward: If flat, aka proportional, taxes are considered regressive what would a tax be labeled if the tax rate was inversely related to the tax base?

As far as the side issue, "all taxes are bad for low income people," that should be handled in a different thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM

1,182 posts, read 612,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
We've been through this before. If you're unwilling to understand it, that's OK, but we won't be having much of a conversation.

The "base" that I've described is quite simple. It's simply what the tax is assessed on. For income taxes, the "base" is taxable income. For sales tax, the base is taxable sales. For property taxes, the base is (generally) assessed property values, for Social Security taxes, the base is Social Security wages. I could go on, but anyone possessed of even a modicum of intellectual honesty will understand perfectly what I'm talking about.

There IS a definite answer to my very explicable question. It's perfectly clear why you and everyone else has avoided answering it. It's because the very clear answer would put an end to this nonsense.
TaxPhd, my viewpoint is how a tax affects USA's economic ans social well-being.
I understand the mathematics a tax's based upon a subject.
I empathize when a tax affects people.

But this is an economics forum and among my major concerns, (if not the most primary of my concerns) regarding a tax is how the tax affects USA's economic and social well-being. I judge the merits and the character of a tax upon those effects rather than the tax rate's relationship with the base of a tax.

Regarding this topic, our viewpoints differ.

Excerpted from “All sacrifices aren't financial:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
... We often believe we're talking the same language when in fact that ain't the case. When we here in the USA say “people”, we're too often not referring to those composing our world's aggregate population, but rather people similar to ourselves and sharing similar viewpoints.
Men or women, older or younger, white or darker shades of skins, Republicans or Democrats, we usually aren't explicit, but the “people” we refer to are people similar to ourselves. ...

Old Today, 12:08 AM

835 posts, read 448,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I still haven't seen a response to this question even though another poster has already put if forward: If flat, aka proportional, taxes are considered regressive what would a tax be labeled if the tax rate was inversely related to the tax base?

As far as the side issue, "all taxes are bad for low income people," that should be handled in a different thread.
Flat taxes are not regressive so it's not possible to answer your question. You're basing your question off of a false assumption.

Old Today, 12:18 AM

5,419 posts, read 2,509,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Flat taxes are not regressive so it's not possible to answer your question. You're basing your question off of a false assumption.
Did you just pop in here and not actually read the thread?

Old Today, 12:20 AM

5,419 posts, read 2,509,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
TaxPhd, my viewpoint is how a tax affects USA's economic ans social well-being.
I understand the mathematics a tax's based upon a subject.
I empathize when a tax affects people.

But this is an economics forum and among my major concerns, (if not the most primary of my concerns) regarding a tax is how the tax affects USA's economic and social well-being. I judge the merits and the character of a tax upon those effects rather than the tax rate's relationship with the base of a tax.

Regarding this topic, our viewpoints differ.

Excerpted from “All sacrifices aren't financial:
Thank you for making your understanding and empathize clear. It adds greatly to the discussion.

Old Today, 05:31 AM

2,370 posts, read 1,505,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That's because your professional concern is the fact of tax law as it is, not the theory of tax law as it could be.
Actually, no. Continuing professional education (cpes) focuses largely on what’s hot in the profession or what’s coming. There’s been a lot of “theory” discussed the last few years because of tax reform. I’ve sat through dozens of hours of panel debates about U.S tax reform, where many of the speakers were from Washington and directly were working on the reform or assigned to follow it’s progress.

I’ve also been to SALT conferences all over the country where different states explain their systems of taxation and I’ve never seen this debate rage like it does on CD every few weeks when this topic comes up. And I’ve rarely seen a state not open to different ideas on how to...”broaden the base”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or