Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 11:16 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Have you read the financial statements for each of the large pharma companies to understand how your post is inaccurate? Do you understand the difference between target identification and clinical development? Have you ever compared the cost of getting something to GLP tox versus running and paying for phase 3 development?
Nothing I said was inaccurate.

A few pages back I clearly stated that private for profit companies won’t invest in finding NEW technology as they cannot gauge the cost/benefit of such research for shareholders.

That means they rely on the state to make sure they stay alive, offer Americans decent medicine, and can compete internationally.

When it comes to development, they can already balance cost to potential benefit so there is no real sacrifice on their part.

The point is the free markets are not responsible for the technological advancements we have today.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Please, God, let this thread die.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Winterfall is at 426 posts and counting. What a wonderful country we have where someone can exist while having the equivalent of a full time job for three weeks obsessively responding to a single thread on this forum.

So... how's the social life coming along buddy?
Ah lieqiang, responding to this thread has only taken a fraction of my time.

In reality I have answered every question leaving yourself with only ad hominem attacks.

So yes or no the CGT at 90%?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Please, God, let this thread die.
Do you support the CGT at 90%? Why or why not?

Also god doesn’t care what happens here.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Nothing I said was inaccurate.

A few pages back I clearly stated that private for profit companies won’t invest in finding NEW technology as they cannot gauge the cost/benefit of such research for shareholders.

That means they rely on the state to make sure they stay alive, offer Americans decent medicine, and can compete internationally.

When it comes to development, they can already balance cost to potential benefit so there is no real sacrifice on their part.

The point is the free markets are not responsible for the technological advancements we have today.
You are wrong. I do this for a living. Go to the R&D conference days for each large pharma and Biotech. Go spend time in Boston and visit the local VC firms in this space. Try reading a few articles as well, such as this:

https://www.abpi.org.uk/facts-and-fi...re-by-country/

There is also significant risk and sacrifice. For example, here are some of the top failures for 2017:

https://www.genengnews.com/a-lists/u...lures-of-2017/

There are countless numbers clinical failures every year that don’t even make the news, not to mention programs that never make it past phase I. If you would actually read a bit instead of picking up on political points that have a spin, you just might actual learn the facts.

Last edited by Jim1921; 02-02-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Do you support the CGT at 90%? Why or why not?

Also god doesn’t care what happens here.
You also speak for God?

Old 02-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You also speak for God?
I'm polytheistic, but whatever god there is won't care about one thread on CD.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You are wrong. I do this for a living. Go to the R&D conference days for each large pharma and Biotech. Go spend time in Boston and visit the local VC firms in this space. Try reading a few articles as well, such as this:

https://www.abpi.org.uk/facts-and-fi...re-by-country/

There is also significant risk and sacrifice. For example, here are some of the top failures for 2017:

https://www.genengnews.com/a-lists/u...lures-of-2017/

There are countless numbers clinical failures every year that don’t even make the news, not to mention programs that never make it past phase I. If you would actually read a bit instead of picking up on political points that have a spin, you just might actual learn the facts.
Your first link proves absolutely nothing, except that the pharma industry in the US is the largest in the world. That means nothing, and the R&D funding is for development.

Of course clinical trials can fail, as they always do. But that has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Your first link proves absolutely nothing, except that the pharma industry in the US is the largest in the world. That means nothing, and the R&D funding is for development.

Of course clinical trials can fail, as they always do. But that has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about.
Again, if you do just a little homework, you will see you are wrong yet again. Have you looked up the research facilities, associated capabilities and the staffs that include research scientists? Have you ever stepped foot in one of these? Please list your personal experiences that give you this informed (uniformed) opinion.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Again, if you do just a little homework, you will see you are wrong yet again. Have you looked up the research facilities, associated capabilities and the staffs that include research scientists? Have you ever stepped foot in one of these? Please list your personal experiences that give you this informed (uniformed) opinion.
It doesn’t matter what development of the drug a pharma company spends to profit from.

It’s the fact that the private industry does not find these discoveries, just moves the capital to develop them given enough incentive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics