U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
7,708 posts, read 2,071,787 times
Reputation: 2258

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So when Amazon's stock goes up Bezos sells that stock, then turns around and buys back more? How would that support Amazon, and how would that benefit Bezos aside from tax strategies? Then you're saying he somehow uses his own personal wealth to support Amazon by financing lobbying efforts, instead of Amazon financing it's own like every other large company?

You're really flailing here man, you can't answer TaxP's question because you're out of your depth so you've cranked the BS machine up another notch. In fact we were to the point where you're going to have to draw "11" with a sharpie to turn it up any higher.
Personal wealth can always help a company.

And that was never the main point nor was it the main point of my OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM
 
898 posts, read 402,818 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't want long term investment.

The goal is to lower all long and short term investments as not to inflate value and corporate wealth.

If society does not need to make money to survive, people would not be slaves to those with the greatest economic power.

Is life better when investments are growing the economy, or when people look after one another.
This was your point and youíve failed to articulate a rational explanation of how investing in Appleís stock, as an example, inflated value and corporate wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
 
8,613 posts, read 7,605,712 times
Reputation: 18684
Today, we have a terrible shortage, of homes and apartments in much of this country. If capital gains tax was 90% on profit when s.old, the owners would get rid of their investments in rentals. No new rentals would be built, and currant rental homes would be sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
7,708 posts, read 2,071,787 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
This was your point and you’ve failed to articulate a rational explanation of how investing in Apple’s stock, as an example, inflated value and corporate wealth.
I did in my second point about laborers reliance on corporations performing well, even if it requires supporting policy that is against their general interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
 
898 posts, read 402,818 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I did in my second point about laborers reliance on corporations performing well, even if it requires supporting policy that is against their general interests.
Thereís no evidence that exists so your point is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Olympus Mons, Mars
5,181 posts, read 8,204,003 times
Reputation: 5123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I don't invest in the stock market and neither should you, it puts economic well being in danger and makes you a slave to the value of the corporate sector and leads you to support destructive public policy to save the wealth you have locked up in the market.
Ocasio-Cortez is that you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
7,708 posts, read 2,071,787 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Thereís no evidence that exists so your point is meaningless.
Really, laborers arenít reliant on corporations making money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
 
898 posts, read 402,818 times
Reputation: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Really, laborers arenít reliant on corporations making money?
My buying shares of Apple donít make laborers support policies that arenít in their interest.

I havenít seen an instance where laborers support policies that are against their interests because their employer wasnít making money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
 
5,524 posts, read 2,462,979 times
Reputation: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Today, we have a terrible shortage, of homes and apartments in much of this country. If capital gains tax was 90% on profit when s.old, the owners would get rid of their investments in rentals. No new rentals would be built, and currant rental homes would be sold.
It can also be said that if wages are to low for the poor class, they would not make the effort to get a job and would instead hold up people at gun point and take what they need.

I do not agree with either scenario but it works both ways.


We talk about the wealthy not willing to invest if there is no return on their investment.
Imagine how it is for people where there is no return on their survival.

An wise investor will just find other avenues to exploit.
A dumb poor person will will go back to the cave man era and take what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
7,708 posts, read 2,071,787 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
My buying shares of Apple donít make laborers support policies that arenít in their interest.

I havenít seen an instance where laborers support policies that are against their interests because their employer wasnít making money.
Of course they do. Communities original had there own needs that community institutions provided for. Now supporting high scale investment, state infrastructure, changing the culture of a locally for corporate wealth.

Just look at the Amazon hq2 and all the localities vying for it with tax breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top