U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

7,684 posts, read 2,064,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
There wouldn't be much of an economy to influence.
So what, the economy is the activity of the community and the individual.

If wealth does not equal freedom, then having less wealth will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why canít I do both? Or all three? I mean imagine being able to make a living, building a life and making money. Iím putting my money up and taking a risk I want the reward.

Christ Iím glad youíre not running the country.

Feel free to move to oh....Cuba, any of the Africa countries, South America, if you donít like what we do here.
Capitalism is a global economic system that affects all economies.

I want freedom but freedom to become rich and powerful beyond reason limits everyone else's freedom.

Also owning private property (not personal property) is unnatural and required state power.

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It is a tax on profits AND on inflation! It is crazy that you can buy a house, for instance, which does not increase in real value (i.e., its value only goes up with inflation), but when you sell it you have to pay for that inflation!

So, the inflation part should be 0% tax.

Now, about the other part - I put MY money up, so I am taking risk. I am rewarded for that risk with a profit. I think I should pay some tax on that, but 90% is absurd, you would strangle our economy. I think current 15% for low amounts is fair.
To your second part, spending money does not equate to creating wealth and as such shouldn't be rewarded by more control of wealth.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

So why don't you have less wealth? In fact, you definitely do not need a capitalist computer. You will be fine.
Quote:
Communism is the natural state of the human race.

Read Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution.
If that's the natural state, why don't you sit back and relax and let it happen? Why do you have to forcibly coerce others to follow your preferred system?
Your system has been tried before and in fact is being tried now. Surely if it is so much better for everybody naturally other people will copy it.
Quote:

Also owning private property (not personal property) is unnatural and required state power.
So why do you own private property? You don't have to. Just donate everything to charity.
Afterall:
Quote:
having less wealth will be fine.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

889 posts, read 401,687 times
Quote:

Send me all of your money and have all of your future paychecks forwarded to me, let's see how "fine" you feel with less wealth.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
So why don't you have less wealth? In fact, you definitely do not need a capitalist computer. You will be fine.

If that's the natural state, why don't you sit back and relax and let it happen? Why do you have to forcibly coerce others to follow your preferred system?
Your system has been tried before and in fact is being tried now. Surely if it is so much better for everybody naturally other people will copy it.

So why do you own private property? You don't have to. Just donate everything to charity.
Afterall:
1. My laptop is my personal property, I don't own labor or acres of land or any extensive wealth/

2. The state enforces capitalism because it is the most efficient economic organization. I don't care about state power, but propaganda and force means people want external control over their lives.

3. I donate a lot and give my self to volunteer work. But charity is not the answer, it doesn't help people, it makes them dependent.

If people want to make a better world it doesn't matter how much money you give, it matters how much of your time and labor you give.

If you want to go to heaven you have to give everything you have and everything you are to better the lives of others.

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,224,353 times
Quote:
Thatís not true. Purchasing land or stocks and waiting for their value to increase is not the same thing as producing wealth.

Spending money doesnít equate to creation of wealth.

Did you even take a high school economics class? You are putting buying land in the same category as buying stocks?

Because a vacant piece of land and a business both produce nothing????? wow...

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

889 posts, read 401,687 times
Quote:
If you want to go to heaven you have to give everything you have and everything you are to better the lives of others.
So now this is a religious discussion?

Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM

18,467 posts, read 13,564,759 times
Quote:
It is only a tax on profits (so not total sale value).
And, yet the Federal Reserve, the US Treasury Department, the Congressional Budget Office, the Congressional Research Office and a study by Ohio State University all prove conclusively that higher capital gains tax rates result in lower revenues, while lower capital gains tax rates result in higher revenues.

It may not be logical, and it might be counter-intuitive, but those are the facts.

Not only is that true in the US, it is true in other foreign States.

Italy lowered its capital gains tax to 12.5% and saw revenues increase dramatically.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Send me all of your money and have all of your future paychecks forwarded to me, let's see how "fine" you feel with less wealth.
This country/system requires an individual to have wealth or suffer.

Property taxes, irrigation, and credit make people reliant on wages, while poverty is made miserable by crime, treatment, and police violence to make sure no one can live that life.

There was a time when people who live in their own houses, grow their own food, and work with the community for wider projects like water ways and schools. Now you need money to live peacefully and with freedom.

Any excess wealth I have I give away, I am the kindest person in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or