U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 07:22 PM

4,199 posts, read 3,336,521 times

Advertisements

I've been on some flights where they say no cash accepted. I don't remember who, but it was one of the big ones.

I've been to at least one place, fast casual restaurant I think, that didn't accept cash. It was card only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM

771 posts, read 846,710 times
Uber

Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 PM

213 posts, read 120,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I believe the transaction cost of a debit card is higher that that for a credit card. The few places I've come across that won't take cash will take either type of card. Alaska Airlines does not take cash on their flights.
I can't speak for every merchant processing service, but ours charges significantly more if we run a card as credit. Rewards cards are even higher and those pre-paid gift cards that run as credit are the worst.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM

32,488 posts, read 9,606,936 times
A couple of local eateries hardly proves that establishments in the U.S. are headed towards not accepting cash.

And airlines shouldn't even be counted as an example because there's a different reason why they don't accept cash. Same with hotels.

We've never had anyone refuse cash where we've opted to pay with it. Don't worry about this, either, OP.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 AM

6,238 posts, read 3,481,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I know of two eateries that do not accept cash. I suppose they accept credit but I've always paid with a debit card, so I can't say for sure. I do know that credit card companies charge a percentage of each transaction to businesses so I could understand why they would not accept credit cards as well.

Here are the two that I know of personally:

https://www.southblockjuice.com/

https://www.damngoodburgerco.com/
If what you say is correct I find it extremely odd that there was nothing I could find on the websites you link that state there is a no cash policy. Why do they do this; is it that they don't trust their employees?

Old 01-17-2019, 03:59 AM

3,036 posts, read 1,108,617 times
My apartment complex is a business, and accepts only personal checks or money orders.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 AM

2,098 posts, read 729,777 times
Enterprise rental car wouldn't take cash as payment a few years back here in NJ

Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 AM

438 posts, read 557,487 times
I can understand the business reason why some establishments would not accept cash. However, I have never come across any business that would not accept debit cards. The only issue that I can recall is that some businesses don't' accept certain credit cards (usually AMEX because in the past they charged higher fees than Visa or MC).

Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 AM

5,292 posts, read 2,385,423 times
Our public bus takes cash still. Some of the folks simply are blessed to get some coins gathered to get across town .
When my state went full blown electronic debit...it sent a challenge to some applicants. It was and continues to be a shell game. Some can't go to market to get their fresh foods at a rather low rate. Now they have to go to approved stores that allow these cards. I liked getting my foods at market..

I'm just trying to imagine if cash or credit is not the source of payment....will two goats and a chicken do?? Or three loaves of bread....

Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 AM

35,649 posts, read 43,840,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If what you say is correct I find it extremely odd that there was nothing I could find on the websites you link that state there is a no cash policy. Why do they do this; is it that they don't trust their employees?
I saw something about this recently. The business in question was a bar. The no cash policy was a big cost savings to the business. No need to do any balancing at night, no trip to the bank, no worrying about having enough cash on hand for change, etc. It amounted to a couple of hours a day in saved time for the owner. I donít remember anything about theft, but obviously you canít steal what isnít there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or