U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 AM

6,265 posts, read 3,497,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I saw something about this recently. The business in question was a bar. The no cash policy was a big cost savings to the business. No need to do any balancing at night, no trip to the bank, no worrying about having enough cash on hand for change, etc. It amounted to a couple of hours a day in saved time for the owner. I don’t remember anything about theft, but obviously you can’t steal what isn’t there.
Somebody is trying to put something over on somebody. Having run a number of bars it should take no more than five minutes to put together a bank for each station and no more than ten minutes to count out and record revenues at shift end. A weekly trip to the bank took less than a half hour. Such a policy would have a stifling affect on business and certainly on tipping the bartenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 10:59 AM

7,536 posts, read 5,566,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is a town near us where the gas station only accepts cash or 'local' checks. The town has no phone lines or cable, and the owner does not want to deal with a satellite dish for internet access. With no internet, they cannot accept CCs.
No Phone lines? That's gotta be deep into the woods...

Old 01-21-2019, 11:14 AM

30,138 posts, read 48,270,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
No Phone lines? That's gotta be deep into the woods...
Yes, I guess so.

The majority of townships in this state lack power grid, phone lines, and cell towers.

My town has power grid and phone lines available for about 1/3 of the residents. And because the I-95 interstate cuts through our town we also have a cell tower.

Though adjacent towns to our East and West lack cell towers. Cell towers in this state are primarily alongside the interstate.

To justify power grid, phone lines, and cell towers normally requires a much higher population-density.

The adjacent town to our East has cable ran all through that town, there was once a cable company that got a huge government grant to install cable. Once the cable was installed they realized maintenance costs for so few customers would never be enough to cover payroll for maintaining the cable, so it was soon abandoned.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM

570 posts, read 258,499 times
Interesting. It sounds like I am unlikely to run into it under normal circumstances. . .

I expect my DMV takes credit in person bc they certainly do online . . .

Old 01-22-2019, 08:11 AM

150 posts, read 47,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Uber
I exclusively use a CC for Uber when I need it.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:27 PM

3,683 posts, read 2,995,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressHeat View Post
I exclusively use a CC for Uber when I need it.
My CC is on-file with the Uber app on my smartphone. I wasn't aware there was any way to pay it, but then again why would I. 90% of my purchases go on the AmX Platinum for all the perqs, frankly.

Cash seems somewhat retrograde to me, as cashless means minimizing "the skim". Is that what others here have been dancing around, the fact that most businesses have a skim going on from employee and probably the owner, too?

There's a big liquor store in my home town that was new when I was in HS. I worked there a couple summers. So much cash went through that place, it's a miracle no one came in strong and robbed the till on my shift. Never happened to me, though we had some rough customers occasionally. But that was the 1980s, and credit cards were a little less common. We had huge charges, too, to be sure but you'd surprised how many paid with hundreds and twenties for big orders of beer, wine, soda, liquor, party supplies. Lot of five hundred to thousand dollar transactions there, it was a gold mine.

Pretty much all the cashiers had a skim going on. I'll not repeat much of the how, but there's plenty at a place that like. Rackets, skims, call it what you will.

No-cash would mean Goods-In = Goods-Out pretty clearly, minus breakage and returns (another area to be skimmed, btw). As an owner, I'd like to minimize that skim and even reconcile by department, liquor vs. beer vs... pretty soon most objects will have dirt cheap RFID tags anyway, which should also help inventory and much, much more. I thought they would by now, but it's still a little ways off.

No-cash, hmm. I know a cash-only business in my home town, the owner is Greek and mixed up in shady stuff and everyone knows it. The rackets and skims on that place must be laughable. I personally think he's laundering cash through the place, too, sort of reverse-skim but still a racket.

Guess I don't know any cashless at this time. First reaction is 7-11 might want to try it, but that would eliminate 50% of their clientele, bums and winos. Not to mention zombies and other street-critters. Lastly, illegal aliens. All being "unbanked" because they're too stupid to know what a bank is, let alone financial management and budgeting. Or, they are criminals attempting to elude justice, such as ICE/Homeland lawfully processing them right the hell back to Guatemala. Cashless might cut down on strong arm robberies, is all.

I believe it will come...but yet we've found damn few examples thus far and I cannot think of one.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
My CC is on-file with the Uber app on my smartphone. I wasn't aware there was any way to pay it, but then again why would I. 90% of my purchases go on the AmX Platinum for all the perqs, frankly.

Cash seems somewhat retrograde to me, as cashless means minimizing "the skim". Is that what others here have been dancing around, the fact that most businesses have a skim going on from employee and probably the owner, too?

There's a big liquor store in my home town that was new when I was in HS. I worked there a couple summers. So much cash went through that place, it's a miracle no one came in strong and robbed the till on my shift. Never happened to me, though we had some rough customers occasionally. But that was the 1980s, and credit cards were a little less common. We had huge charges, too, to be sure but you'd surprised how many paid with hundreds and twenties for big orders of beer, wine, soda, liquor, party supplies. Lot of five hundred to thousand dollar transactions there, it was a gold mine.

Pretty much all the cashiers had a skim going on. I'll not repeat much of the how, but there's plenty at a place that like. Rackets, skims, call it what you will.

No-cash would mean Goods-In = Goods-Out pretty clearly, minus breakage and returns (another area to be skimmed, btw). As an owner, I'd like to minimize that skim and even reconcile by department, liquor vs. beer vs... pretty soon most objects will have dirt cheap RFID tags anyway, which should also help inventory and much, much more. I thought they would by now, but it's still a little ways off.

No-cash, hmm. I know a cash-only business in my home town, the owner is Greek and mixed up in shady stuff and everyone knows it. The rackets and skims on that place must be laughable. I personally think he's laundering cash through the place, too, sort of reverse-skim but still a racket.

Guess I don't know any cashless at this time. First reaction is 7-11 might want to try it, but that would eliminate 50% of their clientele, bums and winos. Not to mention zombies and other street-critters. Lastly, illegal aliens. All being "unbanked" because they're too stupid to know what a bank is, let alone financial management and budgeting. Or, they are criminals attempting to elude justice, such as ICE/Homeland lawfully processing them right the hell back to Guatemala. Cashless might cut down on strong arm robberies, is all.

I believe it will come...but yet we've found damn few examples thus far and I cannot think of one.
Okay, Greeks, Guatemalans, 7-11 customers, illegal aliens - are there any other groups you'd care to disparage while you seem to tacitly approve of stealing from one's employer at a summer job?

Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 AM

4,114 posts, read 1,782,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Okay, Greeks, Guatemalans, 7-11 customers, illegal aliens - are there any other groups you'd care to disparage while you seem to tacitly approve of stealing from one's employer at a summer job?
Well, before you get your knickers all in a twist, did you actually read the post?

What he says about skimming is absolutely true.

I think everyone ought to spend some time working retail in a not-very-nice neighborhood. You learn a lot about people and the way the world works.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:03 AM

4,908 posts, read 7,835,812 times
At my local Home Depot, half (the ones on the right) of the self-checkout counters are "Card Only". The other half (on the left) are Card or Cash.

When asked why, I got no useful answer.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, before you get your knickers all in a twist, did you actually read the post?

What he says about skimming is absolutely true.

I think everyone ought to spend some time working retail in a not-very-nice neighborhood. You learn a lot about people and the way the world works.
Not only did I read it, I understood it. Perhaps you should endeavor to do the same.

And I don't want to live anywhere where the majority of store employees are stealing (not skimming) from their employer and/or customers. Your attitude regarding same is deplorable and would never be tolerated by a well run business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or