U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:54 AM

4,171 posts, read 1,802,383 times

Advertisements

Well, there are multiple aspects to "living standards".

For me, my standard of living is greatly enhanced by never having to worry about whether I will be able to pay my bills, or having to shuffle debts amongst various accounts. For that I am willing to give up pseudo-luxury items that are heavily advertised but which usuallly end up not living up to their billing anyway (giant house, leased luxury car that's less reliable than my old standby, "luxury vacations" that end up being the same old crowd of uninteresting people stuffed into a "luxury" destination and spending all their time in sport eating, etc.)

So I would not say that easy consumer credit, whether the pay-it-all-off-every-month variety or the run-all-the-cards-up-to-the-limit variety, has necessarily given the average American a better life overall. More stuff, yep, but better life? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or