U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:19 PM

4,504 posts, read 2,371,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Living wage is not an economic concept.

Setting wages to the value of the marginal product is the correct economic concept.
Shh. We're getting there. I'm having trouble leading the horse to the trough but I'm close.

Old Today, 02:22 PM

780 posts, read 606,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
If you really need that answered, you're flat-out trolling.

Half of the discussion here alone is about people who are working full time or two jobs and can't scrape together a decent life without roommates, public or parental assistance, doing without health insurance and so forth. Painting that evidently rising situation as something only some category of worthless, unskilled workers who don't have the stones to aim higher are experiencing is... well, the sort of smug, self-serving, Darwinian, I-gots-mine slogans you've been spewing in multiple threads for weeks now.

Answer the question, if you can get away from the bumper stickers you're using as cue cards.
I once lived in a two bedroom apartment with 16 other beds in it. You "rented" a bed. Eight beds per room and the extra was in the coat closet. That was extra $ per month.

I did it because it was cheap and allowed me to plow almost all my earnings back into investments. Not many people would endure what I did in order to become financially free. They are the same ones complaining about wanting a higher wage in their 40's still working the same job out of high school.

Increasing min wage won't really help the low wage worker's living situation. Rent will rise as it has in other cities with high demand. A national min wage law of $15 would also kill the economies of many states that have low COL.

Old Today, 02:24 PM

4,504 posts, read 2,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

Increasing min wage won't really help the low wage worker's living situation. Rent will rise as it has in other cities with high demand. A national min wage law of $15 would also kill the economies of many states that have low COL.
Inflationary pressure is not a concept that is understood by some.

That's how the housing market and college tuition got out of control.

Old Today, 02:32 PM

15,701 posts, read 9,315,611 times
thread closed because OP, wheelsup and Rationalexpectations (and a few others) went off topic and partisan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or