U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 AM

14 posts, read 3,408 times

Advertisements

"I am GOP and I don't know anyone who is against same sex marriage. Can you tell me what the GOP has done to turn that law over since Trump took office? You need to dig deeper and not just listen to what your leaders tell you. Hint: They lie."

Yeah I'm GOP as well. Same sex marriage is not going to be overturned. The vast majority of people in our party don't care what people do in their bedrooms or who's marrying who.

Last edited by ChadChadderson; 01-24-2019 at 12:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 03:18 AM

1,896 posts, read 658,650 times
Such a stupid law, a much better approach to higher wages would be to create more demand for labor through progrowth policies and let the wages rise as the labor supply shrinks. Government price fixing never works out as intended.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 AM

13,371 posts, read 9,474,259 times
All will be well, once the invisible pink unicorn of plenty starts farting out free money in huge rainbows.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:50 AM

8,592 posts, read 11,697,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I am a fourth generation restaurateur here and can give you some input here.

When you force restaurants to pay $15 an hour to servers, you will start seeing all those great mom and pops go out of business.

You'll be left with a bunch of Outback Steakhouses, TGI Fridays, and Olive Gardens.

The best run restaurants in the world only clear about $0.05 on the dollar.

Profit margins for restaurants are tiny.

Who loses out on this the most? The servers. Believe me, servers do not want this change.
I'm not going to pretend to know the industry, but you make it sound so miniscule and many are on the verge of shutting down even before this change.

I'm finding numbers like profit margins anywhere from 0-15%, where the avg is 3%-5% profit margins. Can we see some real numbers to realize how dire your situation is?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:53 AM

2,423 posts, read 584,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I am a fourth generation restaurateur here and can give you some input here.

When you force restaurants to pay $15 an hour to servers, you will start seeing all those great mom and pops go out of business.

You'll be left with a bunch of Outback Steakhouses, TGI Fridays, and Olive Gardens.

The best run restaurants in the world only clear about $0.05 on the dollar.

Profit margins for restaurants are tiny.

Who loses out on this the most? The servers. Believe me, servers do not want this change.
Scary thought. But people don't understand that the big corporate interests win in these situations. They hate corporations so you would think knowing this might make them extend exemptions to smaller companies.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM

3,824 posts, read 3,017,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Just a clarification:

The Republican Platform is against taxpayer funding of elective abortions. That is quite different from what you mention above.

The Republican Platform does not support discrimination against gays. Just the opposite: the platform proactively says

The Republican Platform rejects the idea that certain Activist Judges can overrule the States and The People with respect to the definition of marriage. The People and their Elected Representatives -- not certain un-elected judges -- get to decide what marriage is and what it isn't. That is quite different from what you mention above.

Untrue.

Source: https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/stat...a/platform.pdf
You have some nerve using actual facts in a political discussion here on City Data. No one wants to hear that.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:30 AM

326 posts, read 56,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That sounds good and all, but ideology is very different than the real world.
California Proposition 8 was a proposition passed by the electorate in California, defining "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."

Ted Olson is the attorney who fought against Prop 8 - all the way to the US Supreme Court. Normally, you might expect the legal team to consist of left wing progressives - but what's surprising is that the charge was co-led by Ted Olson - one of the most conservative lawyers in America.

Ted is a true conservative, a former Solicitor General under George W. Bush. Do you remember Bush v. Gore - the US Supreme Court Case regarding the vote in Florida ("hanging chads")? That was argued in front of SCOTUS by Ted Olson (representing the Bush) and David Boise (representing Gore).

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/poli...riage-equality

I recommend a documentary titled "The Case Against 8":
https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-case-against-8 and also
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5662442/?ref_=nv_sr_2

It chronicles how and why conservative Republicans are in favor of same sex marriage.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 01-24-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 AM

9,046 posts, read 16,016,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Sure hope the owner cut his salary too.
Why? The owner is the one who's got a vested interest in the business. He's going to weigh his ROI + the salary he pays himself against what his position would be if he sold out and got a job working for someone else. If he's better off doing the latter his staff will be slashed to zero, do you think that would be better?

Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 AM

20,605 posts, read 29,052,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I found a legitimate news source for this. Your partisan hack source isn't quite right. They are not "slashing staff."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyc-res...ke-hitting-15/

The $2 increase applies to restaurants that have 11 or more workers. Most (not all) NYC restaurants are cutting workers' hours to stay afloat. Only some will be firing workers. Some will be increasing menu prices, too.

This is forcing restaurants to be more efficient. One said he won't be using the hosts/hostesses during lunch on light days. That sounds efficient, since they are not really needed.

So they will become more efficient and raise menu prices a bit. If that's what it takes for people to be paid decently, then that is the right thing to do.

This was a minimum wage hike plan that started years ago. These restaurants knew this was coming. I think this was the goal...$15/hr.

And...workers are customers, too. Workers who get paid more, spend more. NYC has hiked the min. wage several times in the last few years. It didn't negatively affect its economy.

My philosophy is...if you can't afford to pay employees decently, then maybe your business isn't viable.
Bingo. I worked for 20+ years in the restaurant industry and would say the vast majority of owners/management were too lazy to schedule properly and would simply flood the place with staff knowing full well the payroll dollars spent wouldn't deeply impact the bottom line due to the low pay scale ($3-$8 an hour depending upon staff in question). If it was slow? No problem, send people home after a few hours....try surviving on that as a non-tipped employee given there were (and still are) no guarantees of weekly salary amounts. Anyone against a $15 minimum for non-tipped employees has some deep seated issues and don't know many with an aversion to others thriving versus simply surviving.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 AM

12,302 posts, read 7,859,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChadderson View Post
"I am GOP and I don't know anyone who is against same sex marriage. Can you tell me what the GOP has done to turn that law over since Trump took office? You need to dig deeper and not just listen to what your leaders tell you. Hint: They lie."

Yeah I'm GOP as well. Same sex marriage is not going to be overturned. The vast majority of people in our party don't care what people do in their bedrooms or who's marrying who.
The Dems find links to extreme positions held by outlier Republicans and hail that as proof that all Republicans have identical positions.
That's like saying all Dems have same position as Hank Johnson, who was afraid that Guam would tip over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or