Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am GOP and I don't know anyone who is against same sex marriage. Can you tell me what the GOP has done to turn that law over since Trump took office? You need to dig deeper and not just listen to what your leaders tell you. Hint: They lie.
Well I personally don't know anyone that is against same sex marriage either, yet somehow a large section of our country consistently votes along that and other religious lines. It's literally a bullet point for the elected reps in those areas.

I honestly don't think you actually believe what you typed. No educated person can be that ignorant.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Jon Bloostein, the operator of six New York City restaurants
Look he hired new workers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZieQo_GeZ0

Old 01-23-2019, 11:44 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
UBI would push them off of those other welfare programs because their income would be too high
UBI is nothing that can be considered in a vacuum - or just dropped on top of our current social/economic programs. Discussion about how awful and destabilizing it would be in that situation is empty gas.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:19 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well I personally don't know anyone that is against same sex marriage either, yet somehow a large section of our country consistently votes along that and other religious lines. It's literally a bullet point for the elected reps in those areas.

I honestly don't think you actually believe what you typed. No educated person can be that ignorant.
So just the classic liberal attack the other person instead of providing proof. Show me proof.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Sure hope the owner cut his salary too.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
A rise to $15 would be a huge hit to restaurants, who often operate under an hourly minimum far below standard MW because the workers make much of their income from tips.

But then, tipping is an idiotic, out of control system belonging to another age of business and service. Restaurants should pay a market wage, discourage or forbid tipping and set prices like every other business as as consequence.

This is another example of why you can't arbitrarily change one element in a complex economic system. A high minimum wage for service workers should have been accompanied by other changes.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I’m an atheist, I’m a registered libertarian, I support reproductive freedom for women and I don’t give a flying **** what people do with their genitals as long as it’s infringing on no one else’s rights and I voted R and will emphatically do so again in 2020. There are all kinds of reasons people vote the way they do and to say that someone is voting against a particular specific item because they voted republican is making unwarranted assumptions.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:41 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
They cited the case of Angelica Kitchen as an example of the impact of the minimum wage hike.

"The pioneering East Village vegan eatery is slated to close on April 7th, after forty years of operation—its owner, Leslie McEachern, said that rising rents and a changing neighborhood led to its demise."

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...ngry-and-weird

Average wage range for food service workers tops out at around $15/hr. So in one fell swoop, they attempted to create a new floor which is going to weed out the less productive.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m an atheist, I’m a registered libertarian, I support reproductive freedom for women and I don’t give a flying **** what people do with their genitals as long as it’s infringing on no one else’s rights and I voted R and will emphatically do so again in 2020. There are all kinds of reasons people vote the way they do and to say that someone is voting against a particular specific item because they voted republican is making unwarranted assumptions.
I 100% agree, that's why I vote R as well but wish they would start compromising on the whole anti gay "pro family" stuff.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
So just the classic liberal attack the other person instead of providing proof. Show me proof.
Ok we're done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics