Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2019, 03:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Being a waiter literally requires zero skill sets. You can walk down the street and start work that afternoon with some basic instruction.
You have no freakin' idea what you're talking about. You probably think all non-STEM jobs can be done by anyone bright enough to pick up the tool... but are convinced you're worth every penny of your wage, and leave crappy tips when a server doesn't meet your every expectation and whim.

Hope you like the taste of spit.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Because of the low wages, it's common for restaurant workers to be working two part time jobs, or one full time job and a part time job. Employers are loathe to pay overtime, so to get in your 60 hours (or whatever you need) you need multiple employers. If wages are adjusted such that a person can live on only one job's hours, not as many positions are required.
...by the employee. This says nothing about how many positions need to be filled. By your postulates, all second jobs are some kind of employment charity.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:07 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
Being a waiter literally requires zero skill sets. You can walk down the street and start work that afternoon with some basic instruction.

Not really fair to complain about the pay for that sort of job.
That's not true, and the degree to which it's untrue depends on the restaurant. But even if it were, I think a case can be reasonably made that if someone works all day at honest, productive work they should be making enough money to live all day as well. Even setting decency aside, the economy requires a large quantity of workers to fill these sorts of positions. Business and industry won't operate without them. While the individual person might not be in demand, the position is, and it needs a person to fill it (at least until robots get more cost-effective). If you're not going to pay that person a living wage, that just causes other burdens on the system. Not to mention, having working people below the poverty line creates a disincentive to work in general, which is not a trend that's healthy for society.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Even setting decency aside, the economy requires a large quantity of workers to fill these sorts of positions. Business and industry won't operate without them. While the individual person might not be in demand, the position is, and it needs a person to fill it (at least until robots get more cost-effective).
The problem is likely to self-correct fairly soon, anyway. A vast sea of service jobs requires an equal pool of discretionary-income jobs to support it. There simply won't be as many waiters when dining-out income implodes.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I am sorry, but NYC is complaining about $15 minimum? What is wrong with people? How the heck can you even commute to NYC or live there at $15 an hour? It should be $15 an hour there. People do need to eat and have damn place to sleep somewhere. I can' even imaging living there on that at all!!!!!! Tell the owners to eat crap or pony up some damn money!

Old 01-26-2019, 08:59 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You have no freakin' idea what you're talking about. You probably think all non-STEM jobs can be done by anyone bright enough to pick up the tool... but are convinced you're worth every penny of your wage, and leave crappy tips when a server doesn't meet your every expectation and whim.

Hope you like the taste of spit.
Not really, I have a pretty good idea as in high school I worked as a cook and when they were short waitstaff I filled in.

Nowadays some places don't even use waiters, you order at the table and your food is bussed out to you. That being said I've dined in once in the past three or four years, I just don't eat out any more as I prefer to get my food and take it back to my hotel room and when home my wife and I cook. I feel uneasy having someone tending to me and also dislike the expense of tipping.

I'm not saying a waiter doesn't work hard. Ditch diggers work hard too. But with little barrier to entry their skill set is easily repeatable and as such their wages are low.

Last edited by pipsters; 01-26-2019 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-26-2019, 09:13 PM

940 posts, read 968,468 times
Quote:
That's not true, and the degree to which it's untrue depends on the restaurant. But even if it were, I think a case can be reasonably made that if someone works all day at honest, productive work they should be making enough money to live all day as well. Even setting decency aside, the economy requires a large quantity of workers to fill these sorts of positions. Business and industry won't operate without them. While the individual person might not be in demand, the position is, and it needs a person to fill it (at least until robots get more cost-effective). If you're not going to pay that person a living wage, that just causes other burdens on the system. Not to mention, having working people below the poverty line creates a disincentive to work in general, which is not a trend that's healthy for society.
Well the better waiters at the better places earn significantly more than "min wage" so it's a moot point. Also in most areas of the country businesses have moved on from min wage, here in NC even supermarkets start at $12/hr these days as a cashier.

If no one is around to fill the position businesses will pay more to fill the slot or entice someone to defect from another restaurant. That is the free market at work, not some large hand of government mandating pay. The single best thing the government can do is create an environment with growth and expansion which enhances upward mobility.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:44 AM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Two minutes on Google informed me that the average hourly earnings of waitstaff in New York City was over $23, and the average minimum wage paid by NYC restaurants was $10-11...in 2014.

5 years later and this restaurant can't afford $15? I'm calling b.s. on Breitbart.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am sorry, but NYC is complaining about $15 minimum? What is wrong with people? How the heck can you even commute to NYC or live there at $15 an hour? It should be $15 an hour there. People do need to eat and have damn place to sleep somewhere. I can' even imaging living there on that at all!!!!!!
Sounds like the solution, then, is to NOT FREAKING LIVE IN NYC IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO DO SO!

Quote:
Tell the owners to eat crap or pony up some damn money!
Why don't you buy the businesses and run them correctly? Show us how it's done. Eat crap or pony up some damn money!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My sister is like him/her. We were going over options for assisted living places for my mom. She spent about 15 minutes of a 20 minute meeting talking about the nonprofit place because it drove her nuts that any business should turn a profit. Some people just hate capitalism. There is no debating with them. You will not convince them of anything.
If there are people here in America who hate capitalism so much, why haven't they moved to a place like Cuba, Venezuela or China where the economics there are so much better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics