U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:04 PM

9,640 posts, read 4,116,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If an owner-operator, aside from a per-mile rate, I don't think they can expense anything.

Company drivers are so locked down I think everything has to be billed through their fleet card, not sure they can submit receipts and get reimbursed through payroll unless unforeseen like their truck broke down and had to stay in a motel.
don't know how those company drivers do it, if they get a company card with rewards, if company lets them keep it or if it is straight cashback to company

if it was like traveling for job, company pays for it but you can still claim the air miles for being the one that flew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 05:42 PM

2,153 posts, read 505,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
don't know how those company drivers do it, if they get a company card with rewards, if company lets them keep it or if it is straight cashback to company

if it was like traveling for job, company pays for it but you can still claim the air miles for being the one that flew
This is the gentlemen's agreement among most companies but a small company made local news when it reimbursed its employees less than the IRS mileage rate for driving and kept airline perks when flying for company business. They lost a lot of good salespeople that way.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 PM

15,782 posts, read 15,757,878 times
I have my CC-points automatically converted to payments to the same CC. Not a lot every month, but it does help.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have my CC-points automatically converted to payments to the same CC. Not a lot every month, but it does help.
That's a good "set-it-and-forget-it" way to use them.

I get 125% of cash value if I use mine through Chase's website for travel. I'll check both Chase and Kayak before I book, whichever is more beneficial to use.

After a few trips, I find I get better lodging deals through Chase and better flight prices through Kayak, so that's what I do.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 7,363 times
Quote:

I get 125% of cash value if I use mine through Chase's website for travel. I'll check both Chase and Kayak before I book, whichever is more beneficial to use.

After a few trips, I find I get better lodging deals through Chase and better flight prices through Kayak, so that's what I do.

This is the simple way, and often a good deal. But the 'aspirational' redemptions like first class airfare and extravagant hotels for free comes from converting Ultimate Rewards points to airline/hotel currency and redeeming that way. (I assume you are talking about the Sapphire preferred card) Admittedly, this is a good bit more work and rigmarole to find availability for what you want on dates that work, etc.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:36 PM

18,026 posts, read 12,731,262 times
Quote:

Redemption through the portal is usually not maximizing your value and often times you’d be better off moving them to travel partner and booking there

Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
This is the simple way, and often a good deal. But the 'aspirational' redemptions like first class airfare and extravagant hotels for free comes from converting Ultimate Rewards points to airline/hotel currency and redeeming that way. (I assume you are talking about the Sapphire preferred card) Admittedly, this is a good bit more work and rigmarole to find availability for what you want on dates that work, etc.
Duly noted! I had a Sapp Preferred and just upgraded to a Sapp Reserve within the last year!

Old 01-25-2019, 06:50 PM

30 posts, read 7,363 times
Quote:
Duly noted! I had a Sapp Preferred and just upgraded to a Sapp Reserve within the last year!

In that case, you would be getting 150% vs 125% using the portal.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:14 PM

9,640 posts, read 4,116,863 times
Quote:
This is the gentlemen's agreement among most companies but a small company made local news when it reimbursed its employees less than the IRS mileage rate for driving and kept airline perks when flying for company business. They lost a lot of good salespeople that way.
seems like a good way for companies to keep good drivers to me.

let them rack up the credit card points for hotels/flights so they can see family since they are on the road so much. letting them get a nice hotel room between driving seems like a perk that would keep them around more than offering a few $s more than the next truck company

but again, 2-5% cashback on $50-100k/month on gas for a fleet of trucks might make it worth keeping the money? I don't know their profit margins

Old 01-25-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
seems like a good way for companies to keep good drivers to me.

let them rack up the credit card points for hotels/flights so they can see family since they are on the road so much. letting them get a nice hotel room between driving seems like a perk that would keep them around more than offering a few $s more than the next truck company

but again, 2-5% cashback on $50-100k/month on gas for a fleet of trucks might make it worth keeping the money? I don't know their profit margins
That's another driver paid for right there. You bet they're keeping it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or