U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-28-2019, 11:13 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
21,540 posts, read 26,976,143 times
Reputation: 40890

Advertisements

I see them. A dozen acres or more covered with rows of solar collectors. Lots of them going up, so there is money to be made somewhere in there. I don't know how it works, whether it is all government subsidies of all about the sale of electricity.


A couple of the western states have passed laws that a large percentage of electricity must come from renewable sources, and in the case of Oregon, Hydro electric will not count as a renewable source. So, there is a market for the power produced that way.


The solar panel farms are probably somewhat less destructive than the windmill farms.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2019, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Anchorage
320 posts, read 146,887 times
Reputation: 671
It's going to depend on both the state and the power company you want the solar farm to tie into. Some welcome it, some are indifferent, and some outright hostile to small generators feeding power into their grid.


You might find this interesting:


https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/envi...ity-in-alaska/
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,454 posts, read 38,499,198 times
Reputation: 21892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
It's going to depend on both the state and the power company you want the solar farm to tie into. Some welcome it, some are indifferent, and some outright hostile to small generators feeding power into their grid.


You might find this interesting:


https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/envi...ity-in-alaska/
Very regional and state specific.

WA State has a Renewable Energy legislation that is very friendly to most 'sell-back' options from small gen operations (at retail prices) .

They were NOT keen on my WVO proposal... but I have a friend in CA who sells back ~100KWH / month using his WVO genset. (While heating his home floors with Genset coolant heat exchanger. )

Fuel is free, he gets ~ $100 - $300 / month check from power company.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Reputation: 5000
Be careful you can get burnt with solar farms. Best to wear sunscreen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 08:46 AM
 
12,549 posts, read 6,538,432 times
Reputation: 23202
Kind of like the mortgage bubble collapse, this is the government messing in the private market and it will eventually end badly. This exists because the government has meddled in the market where small producers are selling into the grid at retail price rather than wholesale price. If you remove the government intervention, solar becomes a specialty application. Manufacturing panels isn't green. It's exporting pollution to China.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,223 posts, read 48,369,581 times
Reputation: 18375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Kind of like the mortgage bubble collapse, this is the government messing in the private market and it will eventually end badly. This exists because the government has meddled in the market where small producers are selling into the grid at retail price rather than wholesale price. ...
Solar power is very attractive to people here in New England.

Though the Public Utilities Commission will not allow the legislature to allow people to 'sell' power to the grid.

We can put power onto the grid in exchange for 'credits', and we must pay the taxes on our power, the transmission fees and the taxes on those fees.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Brawndo-Thirst-Mutilator-Nation
15,845 posts, read 15,841,160 times
Reputation: 11753
Once bulk/power-grid-scale energy-storage becomes cost-effective, then you will see a lot more viability in solar-farms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,445 posts, read 1,814,471 times
Reputation: 8153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Solar power is very attractive to people here in New England.
Probably because the installation/leasing companies have been absolutely relentless in not only direct sales but co-opting town after town into boosting their efforts. They're 'tin men' selling black glass.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
6,512 posts, read 3,572,944 times
Reputation: 13499
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The solar panel farms are probably somewhat less destructive than the windmill farms.

Yes, the birds just get fried instead of being whacked by those blades.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,223 posts, read 48,369,581 times
Reputation: 18375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Probably because the installation/leasing companies have been absolutely relentless in not only direct sales but co-opting town after town into boosting their efforts. They're 'tin men' selling black glass.
There certainly are a lot of horse-trading salesmen out there.

I bought my PhotoVoltaic panels from a company in Florida, my electronics from a company in California, and my batteries from a feed store. I did not lease any of my system.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top