U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 AM
 
6,829 posts, read 2,858,070 times
Reputation: 4327

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
it does work if government doesn't strangle business with over regulations, and punish achievement
with over taxations



the American dream was maybe many of us could start/own a business..... and if it does well despite the government... it will expand...when a business expands...it hires local contractors and hires more employees....and can pay better with benefits..


because of all the regulations and taxation ...many businesses choose not to today


if I owned my own landscaping business and pick up more and more accounts I buy more equipment and hire more employees . yes it does work ..



competition and profit are major motivators of effort..... you work more you should be rewarded more... today the government penalizes achievement ..
I think the reason people will vote in socialism is they have nothing to loose. No one has the start up capitial to actually start a real business (and not some half baked desperate attempt to "start" a business by a laid off person who really does not yet have the resources to do so properly so that they actually succeed).

The proliferation of low wage jobs that dont allow for excess capital growth to funnel into a business are going to have people saying ... im not really getting ahead now why not vote to redistribute some funds so I can maybe do something.

The far right likes to call socialism "theft" but isent that all any of us are doing, trying to jocky for control of resources. Its no more theft than muscling out your competition to gain market share, market share represents real money and is akin to theft in the same way as taxes are.

I do think the govt should take a hands off approach to VERY small just starting up small business but once your getting a little too big for your britches and thoughts of flexing some of your economic muscle against others with suger plums dance in your head its time for govt to step in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2019, 07:01 AM
 
3,617 posts, read 2,575,102 times
Reputation: 6568
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

I do think the govt should take a hands off approach to VERY small just starting up small business but once your getting a little too big for your britches and thoughts of flexing some of your economic muscle against others with suger plums dance in your head its time for govt to step in.
That would be motivating and American. Let families invest their life savings and 70 hours a week for a few years to get their businesses profitable, hiring more people and start earning their money back, then let the government swoop in. No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:45 AM
 
4,875 posts, read 2,536,176 times
Reputation: 4220
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think the reason people will vote in socialism is they have nothing to loose.
Uh what about their personal freedoms, and maybe their lives?

Seems like a lot to lose considering Communisms track record over the 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 02:12 PM
 
4,862 posts, read 1,812,993 times
Reputation: 6272
Federal deficit up 77% compared to a year ago, first months are $310 Bil in the red, on track for a $1 Trillion deficit for FY 2019. All this borrowing and all we get is a 20,000 jobs number? Wages only up 3%? This is a significant data point that shows it's not trickling down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Thailand
5,551 posts, read 2,667,373 times
Reputation: 10366
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
No one has the start up capitial to actually start a real business
Is this just as assumption on your part or do you have actual hard data that no real businesses are being started?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The proliferation of low wage jobs that dont allow for excess capital growth to funnel into a business are going to have people saying
Again, I question whether you're operating off a faulty premise. If median wages are at an all-time high how is it possible there is a recent proliferation of low-wage jobs? Do you actually know there is a proliferation of low wage jobs or is this something you've decided by biased anecdotal observation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 05:51 PM
 
6,829 posts, read 2,858,070 times
Reputation: 4327
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That would be motivating and American. Let families invest their life savings and 70 hours a week for a few years to get their businesses profitable, hiring more people and start earning their money back, then let the government swoop in. No thanks.
If you feel the need to make tens or hundreds of millions so that you can start manipulating the markets and politicians and that if you are curtailed form doing such from a financial stand point then you are exactly the problem.

If you cant be happy with 10 million and feel the need to use money to influence politics to your favor then you are the enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 06:24 PM
 
6,829 posts, read 2,858,070 times
Reputation: 4327
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Is this just as assumption on your part or do you have actual hard data that no real businesses are being started?

Again, I question whether you're operating off a faulty premise. If median wages are at an all-time high how is it possible there is a recent proliferation of low-wage jobs? Do you actually know there is a proliferation of low wage jobs or is this something you've decided by biased anecdotal observation?
I dont remember the rest of what I posted, but making mcwages does not lend itself to having excess capital to PROPERLY start a business. Usually what I have read about is some desperate attempt at half baked sole propietership with almost nothing to actually provide a service or a product because its not a real business situation its a laid off person doing something desperate.

You claim that all this data has to be had to prove VERY simple truths which is in itself a distortion to distract from the real issues. I dont need 300 years of data to know that you cant start a successful business with the proper start up capital working for peanuts.

Can someone live out of their car or with parents working a low wage job for a few decades and then manage to pull together some real money ... sure, but waiting to start life at 40 years of age is not exactly the american dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2019, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Thailand
5,551 posts, read 2,667,373 times
Reputation: 10366
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I dont remember the rest of what I posted, but making mcwages does not lend itself to having excess capital to PROPERLY start a business. Usually what I have read about is some desperate attempt at half baked sole propietership with almost nothing to actually provide a service or a product because its not a real business situation its a laid off person doing something desperate.
"Usually what I have read about" is no way to support something you stated as fact.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You claim that all this data has to be had to prove VERY simple truths which is in itself a distortion to distract from the real issues. I dont need 300 years of data to know that you cant start a successful business with the proper start up capital working for peanuts.
It isn't "distraction" to demand you support the statements that you're basing you're entire argument on, the only person labeling proof as distraction is the one who has no proof. You said:
1. No one has the capital to start a real business
2. Low wages have proliferated

When challenged all you've done is make accusations of distraction and tried to change the argument to whether someone needs capital to start a business. I'm going to assume that as usual you're just blowing hot air with no idea whether what you actually say is true. Terrible trait for a so called qualified engineer, right up there with your habit of making a silly claim then demanding those who question it disprove it. Maybe your career problems go far beyond the toxic personality, you have serious issues with basic logic and scientific process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 10:51 AM
 
4,875 posts, read 2,536,176 times
Reputation: 4220
Here's demand side economic theory at work.

Quote:
Whole Foods cuts workers' hours after Amazon introduces $15 minimum wage

My hours went from 30 to 20 a week,” said one Whole Foods employee in Illinois.

Workers interviewed for this story were reluctant to speak on the record for fear of retaliation.

The Illinois-based worker explained that once the $15 minimum wage was enacted, part-time employee hours at their store were cut from an average of 30 to 21 hours a week, and full-time employees saw average hours reduced from 37.5 hours to 34.5 hours.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-hours-changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Status: "^Bernie Bro^" (set 7 days ago)
 
477 posts, read 312,730 times
Reputation: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Here's demand side economic theory at work.


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-hours-changes
If they can't pay the minimum wage, they don't deserve to be in business.

WF won't give their employees a fair share of the pie, so daddy government has to step in and make them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top