Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 09:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
What do you think would happen if all money was redistributed equally amongst everyone?

If the poor were suddenly put on an equal playing field, would the thrive? Or would they find themselves poor again?

Thoughts?

I personally think that within a short time, the rich would be wealthy again and the poor would be poor again. It is not what you make, but how you manage the money you have. So unless they had a crash course, they would continue making the same choices that put them in the poor house previously.
Who is everyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

I personally think that within a short time, the rich would be wealthy again and the poor would be poor again. It is not what you make, but how you manage the money you have. So unless they had a crash course, they would continue making the same choices that put them in the poor house previously.
I think there would be a few exceptions but the majority would end up back where they are. There is always the guy that can't seem to catch a financial break and the guy that inherited he has without lifting a finger so I think a few would drastically reverse given the right chance but for the most part we do get what we have and where we are from the decisions we make. I'd like to think people learn from mistakes and would maybe not make the same poor choices but I have been proven wrong on that repeatedly.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM

13,655 posts, read 9,714,475 times
I'm not at all convinced that such redistribution would in short order result in return to prior circumstances.

Some people are patient, frugal and good stewards of money. But they're unimaginative and unsuited to business. Give them a billion, and they'll put it in a S&P 500 index fund, and will forget about. Leave them without such remuneration, and they'll continue to dutifully save $500 every month, stretching to do so... and thus, never amassing significant capital.

We need to distinguish between responsibility with money, and creativity with money. The two are orthogonal.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'm not at all convinced that such redistribution would in short order result in return to prior circumstances.

Some people are patient, frugal and good stewards of money. But they're unimaginative and unsuited to business. Give them a billion, and they'll put it in a S&P 500 index fund, and will forget about. Leave them without such remuneration, and they'll continue to dutifully save $500 every month, stretching to do so... and thus, never amassing significant capital.

We need to distinguish between responsibility with money, and creativity with money. The two are orthogonal.
Very nice concept and word!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
redistribution of all money would be a crime, a felony, grand theft, never happen....

Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 PM

1,087 posts, read 782,498 times
The overall society would sum up to less, due to discouragement of being rich.

North Korea had an event a few years ago like that scenario: Government suddenly declared currency expiration. If you accumulated a lot wealth, then you'd be reduced to zero. After that, everyone is allowed to convert a low limit of wealth to a new currency. Essentially, all refreshed to zeros and started all over again. That kind of events serve as a deterrent to get rich, because knowing it can happen anytime.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:40 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
We would lose all top doctors, architects, professors, mechanics, etc, etc, etc. What is the incentive to better oneself if you are going to be even with the lazy POS who doesn’t get off her fat a$$? The answer is NONE.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:34 PM

561 posts, read 324,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
We would lose all top doctors, architects, professors, mechanics, etc, etc, etc. What is the incentive to better oneself if you are going to be even with the lazy POS who doesn’t get off her fat a$$? The answer is NONE.
I don't think that's entirely true. There are always people that excel at things that don't provide any sort of financial reward. I do agree that less people would aspire to these professions if there is no financial reward but I think there may also be a few that would go into these careers because of a genuine desire to have that career. People that maybe would not have had the chance if they had been born to parents that couldn't afford to send them to medical or law school. If the playing field is level then we'd presumably all have the chance to go to an 8 year program rather than just a 2 year degree. That said I do agree, for the most part we are chasing the dollar in our careers and that's usually the measure of whether we've succeeded or not.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
I don't think that's entirely true. There are always people that excel at things that don't provide any sort of financial reward. I do agree that less people would aspire to these professions if there is no financial reward but I think there may also be a few that would go into these careers because of a genuine desire to have that career. People that maybe would not have had the chance if they had been born to parents that couldn't afford to send them to medical or law school. If the playing field is level then we'd presumably all have the chance to go to an 8 year program rather than just a 2 year degree. That said I do agree, for the most part we are chasing the dollar in our careers and that's usually the measure of whether we've succeeded or not.
Again I would say that the original premise here is nonsense. But if were to happen, many if not most societal expectations would change. And IMO some would still go into these fields.

When we took the 'Communist Tour' in Bratislava on our Danube trip a few years ago, people who lived through it said that most people were content enough with what they were given by the state. Those fortunate few with previous means were robbed and unhappy. Perspectives of course have changed since then.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:05 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
No one is going to kill themselves studying for 10 years, working all night, take on massive responsibility, etc, and live the same life as the guy who cleans toilets for a living. You may find a handful of people who are compelled to do something. At best, you would get some to do the more complex jobs but there would be no incentive to go above and beyond and all competition would be gone. We would be mediocre at best. Just witness a Canada heatlthcare. Not good. Barely adequate. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics