Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 12:29 AM

725 posts, read 801,107 times

Advertisements

People would generally find themselves in the same circumstances they are in now save for maybe 20%. The impact of genetics should not be underestimated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:54 AM

7,291 posts, read 6,876,791 times
Redistribution of wealth is a fraud .
I am not wealthy nor ever have been , fact is I've been poor most of my life, but I earned my way it was not handed to me and I value my life and my friends and family.
I have had rich friends and many of them do not know who their real friends are .
The people I know that are poor know their friends and know whom they can count on when things get tough. And they help one another, not out of (you owe me because) but simple respect .
People the choose to use (abuse) the system are all excited about redistribution of wealth but the fraud it is will not work the way their fantasy wishes.

Even if you gave every one a million dollars
1. no one who is initially poor has the discipline to use the new found wealth prudently .
2. many would stop working , why work .
3. The price of labor would still rise trying to find some one that is willing to work, unless they lost their hand out .
4. the demand for things would drive the price and demand up and once the peak is hit the slump would create a greater mess .
After you have every thing you will still be unhappy .and the government will find a way to take what's left.
And to maintain all the junk you've accumulated where does the money come from to maintain it all ?

Where is the incentive to do better ?
So long as government officials can capitalize on any out come, nothing is going to work . corruption will continue to escalate .

Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 AM

23,540 posts, read 13,759,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Still not following your thought process here...

I am a single mom with two kids, but live in a large house, with a big yard. The cats greatly out number us humans. So much so that I had to move four cats to even climb into bed this evening. I am always going to be a rescuer of animals that need a home.

Where do you think the ability comes from to have pets, to own and take care of horses, to own and pay the taxes to have land to have animals comes from?

It comes from having money and being able to say how that money is spent.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:26 AM

19,954 posts, read 8,847,965 times
rich people find a means to be rich

poor people find a means to be poor.

wouldn't matter

Old 02-05-2019, 07:40 AM

18,750 posts, read 8,370,867 times
Again all I hear is about the rich and poor.

IMO we need to focus on our middle class and where they are not going.

I do not support redistribution. But I would support central means to augment our middle class.

But in regards to the OP fantasy, take millions of middle class families and make their lives on the order of $1000/mo better. Either through tax credits, HC supports or whatever. And huge numbers will save, invest and move up, just as you and I would hope to do.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:14 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,175,245 times
We are all limited in time, so if that was done now, most of the current rich older people would die of starvation because they don't have the skills to adapt to the new world. Also, biologically, the human body is only capable of so much.

It would require too much stress for people who never got a college diploma to get perhaps two masters degrees from top schools in order to compete with international talent at a competitive rate. Many people also don't treat their bodies well.

If you could start people over at the same age, the outcomes would be considerably different. There is far more competition for far less jobs. Plus many jobs will become obsolete and the jobs that are actually available will only be for the most talented among us from around the world.

So most people would become homeless and desperate.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:23 AM

7,291 posts, read 6,876,791 times
If you keep printing money with nothing behind it and to bottom falls out what then ?
The only thing the American dollar is backed by is world acceptance and that is falling like a stone.
If you wealth is backed by fantasy, what happens when reality hits ? you might believe that you have 250,000 in the bank but it is inaccessible to you unless it is being transferred to some other bank. the paper it's self does not exist in the vault .

Any one dealing with that kind of cash will have big brother looking seriously at them.

Things are only worth what 2 people agree on at the time of transaction .
That is the way of business
Gold and silver have a commercial value that is realized only by those with a use for it , or those that have all they want of every thing else, and are investing for the future of what currency is the next exchange media .
I assure you that what ever the next exchange media is, there is something behind it besides a false promise.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you keep printing money with nothing behind it and to bottom falls out what then ?
The only thing the American dollar is backed by is world acceptance and that is falling like a stone.
If you wealth is backed by fantasy, what happens when reality hits ? you might believe that you have 250,000 in the bank but it is inaccessible to you unless it is being transferred to some other bank. the paper it's self does not exist in the vault .

Any one dealing with that kind of cash will have big brother looking seriously at them.

Things are only worth what 2 people agree on at the time of transaction .
That is the way of business
Gold and silver have a commercial value that is realized only by those with a use for it , or those that have all they want of every thing else, and are investing for the future of what currency is the next exchange media .
I assure you that what ever the next exchange media is, there is something behind it besides a false promise.
https://www.macrotrends.net/1329/us-...storical-chart

Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 AM

29,923 posts, read 11,503,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Again all I hear is about the rich and poor.

IMO we need to focus on our middle class and where they are not going.

I do not support redistribution. But I would support central means to augment our middle class.

But in regards to the OP fantasy, take millions of middle class families and make their lives on the order of $1000/mo better. Either through tax credits, HC supports or whatever. And huge numbers will save, invest and move up, just as you and I would hope to do.

How about just making incomes under a certain amount tax free? Like under $100K net income or whatever number works. With adjustments to COL and dependents. I like the simple approach compared to taxing people then giving it back as credits or whatever. With the latter you need more government to administer the credits and decide who gets what.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How about just making incomes under a certain amount tax free? Like under $100K net income or whatever number works. With adjustments to COL and dependents. I like the simple approach compared to taxing people then giving it back as credits or whatever. With the latter you need more government to administer the credits and decide who gets what.
The essence of lower taxes for the middle class works for me. The reality of politics will never allow this without 1000 pages of subsidies, exceptions and gotyas. In the end the amount of gov't will be about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics