U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:02 AM

9,705 posts, read 11,612,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why donít more people fall out of love with the bottom 20% of our society?

Arenít people who canít pull their own weight mostly a drag on the U.S. economy?
You are correct but.......remember what happened to Mitt Romney (a 1/4 billionaire) when he commented that 47% of the country wouldn't vote for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:59 AM

3,277 posts, read 1,383,205 times
Two outcomes:

Orwellian society where people who live* long enough to eat cockroaches and perhaps resort to cannibalism to "survive."

or

One where we dedicate all of our resources to being able to live in peace and harmony with one another and restore nature to reserves far beyond what is now beyond earth's carrying capacity.

The problem is that the second solution requires an entirely new economic paradigm, which people are probably not prepared for because they are scared. However, the alternative is much more horrifying.

But in order to see, you must have vision first. Even those with no eyesight can see this.

*survive

Last edited by Jobster; 02-03-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 02-03-2019, 10:08 AM

11,085 posts, read 5,370,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Or leave the country like the Facebook guy did.......avoiding all US taxation!
Eduardo Luiz Saverin born March 19, 1982)is a Brazilian-born entrepreneur and angel investor. Saverin is one of the co-founders of Facebook. In 2012, he owned 53 million Facebook shares (approximately 2% of all outstanding shares), valued at approximately $2 billion at the time. He also invested in early-stage startups such as Qwiki and Jumio.

Saverin renounced his U.S. citizenship in September 2011, and therefore avoided an estimated $700 million in capital gains taxes; this generated some media attention and controversy. Saverin stated that he renounced his citizenship because of his "interest in working and living in Singapore" where he has been since 2009, and denied that he left the U.S. to avoid paying taxes.

Get greedy and watch the billionaires leave.......paying NOTHING to the US Govt. My friend works for a billionaire, their main office for the company is in the Bahamas.......paying NOTHING in US income taxes on every dollar that runs through that office. The company is a worldwide enterprise and the billionaire is very well known.

For 700mm extra I'd leave the US too! Best part, as a Singapore citizen he has full access to visit the USA anytime he wants without the need for a visa.

A few years back the Canadian lottery was like 50mm (huge for them). We were in Toronto and bought a few tickets. The newspapers said the jackpot was non-taxed for the winner. But as a US citizen I would be on the hook for almost 40% in taxes (40% of 50mm is 20mm in taxes!). We had a group discussion at dinner if you would leave or not to avoid 20mm in taxes.

Despite what some people post in this thread, there is a difference between 30 and 50 million dollars! What aggravated me was paying 20mm in taxes on something that would have occurred in another country, totally outside the US!
Thatís right. My hedge fund friend left the UK to avoid paying taxes, he was not even a billionaire.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Simple solution. Exit tax of 50%.

You don't wanna be American anymore? Pay the fee.

A lot of Americans died in support of your 'wealth creation'.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:34 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,535,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Simple solution. Exit tax of 50%.

You don't wanna be American anymore? Pay the fee.

A lot of Americans died in support of your 'wealth creation'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich_Flight_Tax

Great idea...it must be really easy to support tyranny...on others.

“But no fee is too much. This is a country you want to get out of. Even if you have to do it naked.”

I swear that half of of this forum is full of economic nut jobs. The wealthy already had their money taxed according to the laws in this country. Now you want an arbitrary chance to go after it again? Pay up again...or else? You want out? Pay up more...

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be” Thomas Jefferson.

Ignorant people like you are a threat to what America is. The thing is, you’re free to exit this country and move to a country that has no billionaires.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:36 AM

17,177 posts, read 18,561,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Any time a political candidate talks about taxing the rich, without closing the many loopholes, it's nothing more than a political stunt to harvest votes. That candidate knows full well the biggest beneficiaries of raising the tax on the rich are their tax consultants.
The rich donít have a rich persons tax code. These ďloopholesĒ can be used by anyone. You may need to qualify to use them but thatís the way the tax code is written. I mean hey, I donít have kids so I donít get the child deduction. How is that fair. I say we take that away because itís not fair to me. So is that a tax ďloopholeĒ ? Is it unfair? Iím sure people with kids dont think that.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reich_Flight_Tax

Great idea...it must be really easy to support tyranny...on others.

“But no fee is too much. This is a country you want to get out of. Even if you have to do it naked.”

I swear that half of of this forum is full of economic nut jobs. The wealthy already had their money taxed according to the laws in this country. Now you want an arbitrary chance to go after it again? Pay up again...or else? You want out? Pay up more...

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be” Thomas Jefferson.

Ignorant people like you are a threat to what America is. The thing is, you’re free to exit this country and move to a country that has no billionaires.
You may think you have a grasp of "economics" lol, but you have no grasp of reality.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:49 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,535,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
You may think you have a grasp of "economics" lol, but you have no grasp of reality.
Uhhh most of your posts on this forum have had the flavor of a person screaming about the end of days. That is...the ones you don’t edit and place a “.”

I don’t consider you to be a person who grasps reality or economics.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Uhhh most of your posts on this forums have had the flavor of a person screaming about the end of days. That is...the ones you don’t edit and place a “.”
Your girl was prob on craigslist.

Last edited by Jobster; 02-03-2019 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: THAT'S RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 AM

4,651 posts, read 1,729,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
These two have the same impact on the velocity of money since they aren't making transactions in the economy with their billions of dollars. One can hoard wealth (not spend) and still be invested in stocks and bonds that help drive the economy.

The only time buying stocks helps to "drive the economy" is when purchasing an IPO. That's the only time buying stocks results in actual capital investment. Buying stocks on the open market is just a title transfer of existing stock from person A to B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics