U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 796,790 times

Advertisements

Today I filed my tax return using Turbo Tax, which I have used exclusively for more years than I can remember. My return was accepted by the IRS, so itís all good.

Not so fast! I helped my college age daughter file hers as well and sent it to the IRS, and a few hours later hers was rejected. Seems her SS# was flagged as being used twice on two separate returns. Digging into this I found that I had claimed her on my return and she claimed herself on her return. TT auto populated my return from last year when I claimed my daughter, but I cannot claim her this year for various reasons and I just blew right past this in the software.

So, since my return was accepted I cannot modify it until the IRS releases the 2018 modification form, and if I send my corrected daughters return back to the IRS they will reject it again because mine wonít show up as fixed yet.

All of this because I was in a hurry and did not check my deductions as I worked through the TT software. This is not a fault of TT, itís all on me for not taking my time. No telling how long this will take to straighten out.

Just wanted to warn everyone to take it slow and get it right the 1st time, or you could end up with a mess like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 06:58 AM

6,097 posts, read 1,802,594 times
not a biggie, it's been done countless time, good advice though, take it slow.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:36 AM

For sure. Had I taken my time I would have realized that because her income is below the IRS threshold of $12,000 my daughter didn't even need to file. Now that she's filed and had her return rejected I'm not sure if I there is a way ti "un-file", if you know what I mean.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:13 AM

654 posts, read 512,312 times
If you haven't amened your return yet, you can have your daughter amend hers . Just have her put she can be claimed by someone else. : If you may claim an exemption for your daughter as a dependent on your income tax return, she may not claim a personal exemption on her income tax return. Your daughter should check the box on her return indicating that someone else may claim her as a dependent. Thats it!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
If you haven't amened your return yet, you can have your daughter amend hers . Just have her put she can be claimed by someone else. : If you may claim an exemption for your daughter as a dependent on your income tax return, she may not claim a personal exemption on her income tax return. Your daughter should check the box on her return indicating that someone else may claim her as a dependent. Thats it!
I hear you. The snag I have is that my daughter was enrolled in Obamacare all last year and someone must put that on their taxes. If I claim her. I must include the Obamacare info (which I did NOT do), hence I will need to amend my return.

If my daughter claims herself she includes the Obamacare data on her return, in which case I still have to file an amended return NOT claiming her on my taxes.

Right now Iím still wtg on the IRS to send me my refund so I can file an amended return, either that or they should send me a letter notifying me that if I intend to claim her, I need to include an 8xxx form which is what the Obamacare data goes on.

Like I said....I created quite a mess for myself by being careless and clicking through the Turbo Tax fields just because I was in a hurry. Live and learn.

Old Today, 05:58 AM

7 posts
well i have found myself in the same situation so i got in touch with a professional and he helped me get what i needed to get done done email him [email]richardgraham653@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics