U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:35 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,585,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Does this affect you in some manner?

I have never lived near a Whole Food store. You might as well be talking about a retail chain in India.
I think the forests of Maine is the only place left in the US where there isn't a Whole Foods store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 PM

17,485 posts, read 17,040,153 times
I mostly shop at Whole Foods followed by Trader Joes. However, a new store called Lucky's opened (they have other locations) near my house and it's my go to store now. It has the selection and quality of Whole Foods with the personal service and prices as Trader Joes.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 PM

5,274 posts, read 8,278,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't shop there anyway. They can raise their prices through the roof. I have no interest in their overpriced "gourmet" and gluten free foods.
+1000

Who cares, I will let the image conscious fools waste all their money trying to shop in some elite pretentious place. I am happy shopping at my local grocery store with good deals.

You don't have to shop at Whole Foods to eat healthy but you do have to if you want to looks pretentious.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 PM

6,298 posts, read 3,892,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
+1000

Who cares, I will let the image conscious fools waste all their money trying to shop in some elite pretentious place. I am happy shopping at my local grocery store with good deals.

You don't have to shop at Whole Foods to eat healthy but you do have to if you want to looks pretentious.
How amazing that you know exactly why every WF shopper goes there.

Oh wait, you don't.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:49 PM

1,911 posts, read 694,401 times
stores, and vendors will be raising prices:
quote:
Makers of household staples from diapers to toilet paper are set to raise prices again this year
after already hiking prices in 2018, hoping to offset higher commodity costs and boost profits.
link:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/prepare...05401?mod=e2tw

Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM

11,237 posts, read 5,432,069 times
I used to shop there but stopped about the time Amazon bought Whole Foods, the quality of meat and service went down. Now I might go eat there when I have to wait for my tires. However, my kid is GF and she doesn’t shop there. There are many places you can buy GF stuff much cheaper like Sprouts.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 02-14-2019 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,585,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I used to shop tiger but stop about the time Amazon bought Whole Foods, the quality of meat and service went down. Now I might go eat there hen I have to wait for my tires. However, my kid is GF and she doesn’t shop there. There are many places you can buy GF stuff much cheaper like Sprouts.
Yes, the quality of their service went down big time since the Amazon buyout. I almost walked out one day during the holidays when the checkout lines were long and half the checkouts were closed. And the hot foods are not nearly as good.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:42 PM

19,196 posts, read 12,575,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yes, the quality of their service went down big time since the Amazon buyout. I almost walked out one day during the holidays when the checkout lines were long and half the checkouts were closed. And the hot foods are not nearly as good.
Wegman's blasts WF out of the water both before and after Amazon. Sadly they don't have a store in my neck of the woods (Manhattan, NYC), so drive out to Jersey.

Jeff Bozo is using WF to drive Amazon Prime sales (surprise, surprise) if anything else. Soon as Amazon took over inventory began falling and other changes were made that not only ticked off customers but workers as well.

WF now uses a version of just in time inventory designed to minimize on hand stock at stores. Basically what you see on shelves is what there is; little to none held in inventory, so once something sells out that is all she wrote until next shipment.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 AM

6,345 posts, read 3,536,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Wegman's blasts WF out of the water both before and after Amazon. Sadly they don't have a store in my neck of the woods (Manhattan, NYC), so drive out to Jersey.

Jeff Bozo is using WF to drive Amazon Prime sales (surprise, surprise) if anything else. Soon as Amazon took over inventory began falling and other changes were made that not only ticked off customers but workers as well.

WF now uses a version of just in time inventory designed to minimize on hand stock at stores. Basically what you see on shelves is what there is; little to none held in inventory, so once something sells out that is all she wrote until next shipment.
In a couple of months you'll be able to visit a big Wegmans across the river in Brooklyn.

Old 02-15-2019, 04:51 AM

10,918 posts, read 3,673,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Anyone hoping that Amazon buying WF would bring cheaper groceries better think again.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2...ncrease-amazon
They were already known as "whole paycheck", now I guess they can be called something else. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics