U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 PM

7,954 posts, read 2,979,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Be thankful you don't have Celiac Disease because I guarantee you that you'd be singing a different tune about the availability of gluten-free foods. And price would be of little concern to you.
I just can't get worked up over that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 PM

7,954 posts, read 2,979,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
+1000

Who cares, I will let the image conscious fools waste all their money trying to shop in some elite pretentious place. I am happy shopping at my local grocery store with good deals.

You don't have to shop at Whole Foods to eat healthy but you do have to if you want to looks pretentious.
I agree. I'd bet 95% of foods sold at WF can be found at other stores. Wal Mart now has a section with GF foods and also sells many organic products.

Here's an example of ridiculousness being sold at WF. Jars of water with three stalks of asparagus, labeled "asparagus water" and being sold for $5.99 a jar.

https://www.eater.com/2015/8/3/90907...agus-water-wtf.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:15 PM

15,876 posts, read 15,867,064 times
Could not imagine wasting money at that place.

Walmart has lost most of my business when it comes to meat, prices are not very good anymore. So I would be hard pressed to even think about going to the wildly overpriced WF.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 4,538,786 times
I have a WF & Trader Joe's in my town. Been to WF once. That was enough. Love TJ's. But the real find for me these past several years is Aldis. It's like shopping at 1980s price levels. Amazing value.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:01 AM

10,174 posts, read 5,644,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yes, the quality of their service went down big time since the Amazon buyout. I almost walked out one day during the holidays when the checkout lines were long and half the checkouts were closed. And the hot foods are not nearly as good.
I haven't noticed a difference in service and the whole foods hot bar here in Honolulu is more flavorful than anywhere else I've been.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:16 AM

20,703 posts, read 29,234,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Everyone is raising prices. An effect of strong labor demand and loose monetary policy. Singling our Whole Foods is just #fakenews.
Exactly, from the same camp that continuously drags Starbucks through the mud for their "price gouging"...

Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 AM

6,318 posts, read 10,385,137 times
As mentioned in a previous post, Whole Foods has certain products that help certain people that cannot be found in other stores so easily, if at all, and even some of their organic produce and other products are less expensive than regular produce and similar products at mainstream supermarkets.

Ideal is to have a competitive range of shopping venues within relatively close proximity, which also includes online markets, of which Amazon (Whole Foods) is a major player, as well as the time and energy (convenience) to execute optimal purchases as a result.

I am lucky enough to live in a densely populated urban area where that ideal actually exists, or nearly so, but even then for convenience I overpay for certain items.

Last edited by toosie; 02-16-2019 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Edited out now-deleted quoted post

Old Today, 04:38 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,585,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I haven't noticed a difference in service and the whole foods hot bar here in Honolulu is more flavorful than anywhere else I've been.
I was there again yesterday and the same, long lines at checkouts and half of the checkouts are closed. And the food bars were a lot better before Bozo took over. I've been shopping there since the store opened in the early 1990s and I think it's time to write it off my list of places to shop. Does Jeff Bozo wait in long lines to check out when he buys groceries?

Old Today, 04:43 PM

2,856 posts, read 682,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Yes, the quality of their service went down big time since the Amazon buyout. I almost walked out one day during the holidays when the checkout lines were long and half the checkouts were closed. And the hot foods are not nearly as good.
There service is terrible. They have no front end manager. The cashiers say "Did you find everything ok?" now and then but since they are not trained in customer service (or bagging groceries), when you say no, they look at you like you have two heads. They genuinely have no clue what to say in reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics