U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:39 PM

323 posts, read 217,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There's a reason they earned the nickname "Whole Paycheck"
Agreed. But, if you look at other places and their prices on organics, especially mainstream stores, the mainstream stores are more expensive. I think it is incredibly shifty and disingenuous of Whole Foods to advertise and promote these "New Lower Prices" and then a few months later raise them to their previous prices! Shame on them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

15,108 posts, read 13,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Exactly.

I live in an area that has lousy grocery stores and little competition. Prices and quality reflect that. We have one main regional grocer, Aldi, one dumpy Kroger, Walmart, and a few very low end grocers. The nearest Whole Foods is about a hundred miles away.

Whole Foods is actually cheaper on quite a few staple items for their 365 brand than my mainline regional grocer. A gallon of Food City brand milk at my local Food City is usually $4.99. 365 regular milk at Whole Foods in Asheville was less than that a couple of weeks ago. The quality difference between Whole Foods and Food City's produce is light years apart. Aside from Sam's Club or local farmers, forget about getting decent meat in this area. Whole Foods has a good meat department.

That's not even counting items that are not available locally. If it's not perishable or a nongrocery product, I can probably get it off Amazon. Otherwise, many of those items are not available at local retailers.
There's a dearth of grocery stores here as well but it's improving at a painfully slow pace. Hopefully more stores will open up and force the current ones to up their game.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

1,103 posts, read 227,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There's a reason they earned the nickname "Whole Paycheck"
I was in Whole Paycheck a couple of weeks ago to check out the new "lower" prices. I picked up a couple of free napkins and plastic forks and my bill still came to $30.

Not bad!

Old Today, 06:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,759,379 times
I only shop at WF occasionally, but there is something to be said for organic products that are not injected to the brim with chemicals and preservatives.

I get freaked out when my bread has not gotten moldy after weeks. It's strangely comforting to have food start to get moldy in 3-5 days. If the mold doesn't want it... it's not food.

I live in Oregon and we have farmer's markets 1x or 2x a week in the summer, but it's the PNW and reflects the agricultural products available here which can be limited, and our growing season is short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics