U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 PM

19,153 posts, read 12,539,776 times

Advertisements

Anyone hoping that Amazon buying WF would bring cheaper groceries better think again.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2...ncrease-amazon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:44 PM

7,900 posts, read 2,954,972 times
I don't shop there anyway. They can raise their prices through the roof. I have no interest in their overpriced "gourmet" and gluten free foods.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 PM

11,123 posts, read 20,713,622 times
Everyone is raising prices. An effect of strong labor demand and loose monetary policy. Singling our Whole Foods is just #fakenews.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,933 posts, read 52,304,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Everyone is raising prices. An effect of strong labor demand and loose monetary policy. Singling our Whole Foods is just #fakenews.
With our recent snow we went to the nearby Safeway instead of our usual Kroger (Fred Meyer) store and found that the prices have gone up significantly there too. Whole Foods is one of those places that is fun to go into once in a while to wander around, but we rarely buy there. Most of our foods come from Costco, about $200/month, the rest from Fred Meyer and Trader Joe's. With the recent increases in minimum wages, and the effects of that on higher paid workers, all of the retail places have to raise prices or reduce staff. I was surprised to see that our Costco now has added self-service checkstands, and the nearest Walmart Neighborhood store has NO cashiers, only self service checkouts now.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:46 PM

30,228 posts, read 48,377,760 times
Does this affect you in some manner?

I have never lived near a Whole Food store. You might as well be talking about a retail chain in India.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM

1,757 posts, read 3,739,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With our recent snow we went to the nearby Safeway instead of our usual Kroger (Fred Meyer) store and found that the prices have gone up significantly there too. Whole Foods is one of those places that is fun to go into once in a while to wander around, but we rarely buy there. Most of our foods come from Costco, about $200/month, the rest from Fred Meyer and Trader Joe's. With the recent increases in minimum wages, and the effects of that on higher paid workers, all of the retail places have to raise prices or reduce staff. I was surprised to see that our Costco now has added self-service checkstands, and the nearest Walmart Neighborhood store has NO cashiers, only self service checkouts now.

I have found that Safeway is ridiculously expensive. Same with Acme. I go to a locally owned chain, but they are expensive as well. Best is WalMart, but I hate their produce.

Does Costco have a Scan and Go app? Sam's Club has one and I love, love, love it! Scan your items with your app as you put them in your cart and then when you are finished pay from the app and walk out the door. The person at the out door scans a bar code generated in the app and away you go. DH, unfortunately, hates self serve checkouts. He once threatened to walk away from a cart full of stuff at Lowe's if they didn't open a register. Since we had about $600 in stuff they obliged. I will use them if I have a few things, but I don't think they are great for large orders or if you have coupons.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 PM

2,607 posts, read 1,222,270 times
lol, whole foods was never cheap and never going to be cheap.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM

43 posts, read 2,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Anyone hoping that Amazon buying WF would bring cheaper groceries better think again.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2...ncrease-amazon

I have seen a lot of inflation in food items I buy over the past 12 months. Some items have increased multiple times this past year alone. Also, the issue of stealth inflation with smaller packaging......

Old 02-14-2019, 05:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,626 posts, read 32,680,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The wholesale prices they pay for groceries went up. Since wholesale prices are going up for their competitors, those competitors will be raising prices, too. Grocery prices will be up everywhere, so this is really a non-story.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:18 PM

7,911 posts, read 11,568,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't shop there anyway. They can raise their prices through the roof. I have no interest in their overpriced "gourmet" and gluten free foods.
Be thankful you don't have Celiac Disease because I guarantee you that you'd be singing a different tune about the availability of gluten-free foods. And price would be of little concern to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics