U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,229,524 times

Advertisements

Is this a Fed. govt. directive or just a friendly suggestion?

The past few years I've used an agency to handle my stocks and the have never sent out the 1099-DIV's before mid-Februrary. My contact gives no really reasonable excuse, more of a shoulder shrug.

Really pisses me off because all the other documents are delivered on or before Jan. 31.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

24,746 posts, read 31,891,057 times
No such law regarding delivery.

There is a law that states that they must be POSTMARKED by Jan 31.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

365 posts, read 292,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Is this a Fed. govt. directive or just a friendly suggestion?

The past few years I've used an agency to handle my stocks and the have never sent out the 1099-DIV's before mid-Februrary. My contact gives no really reasonable excuse, more of a shoulder shrug.

Really pisses me off because all the other documents are delivered on or before Jan. 31.
1. File a report against this agency for violating federal law.
2. Transfer your account to Schwab or Fidelity.
3. Problem solved.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,408,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnftcret View Post
3. Problem solved.
I have accounts with both Schwab and Fidelity. While I have received a 1099-R from Fidelity, both have stated that 1099s for dividend, interest and capital gains/losses won't be sent until Feb 15. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I know that there are always seems to be issues with the timing of dividends declared/paid that aren't resolved until January. Also, if part of the 'dividend' involves repayment of capital, that can take time to identify. I'm just glad I no longer get K-1s, as those were never available until the end of Feb to mid-Mar and often got corrected later.

Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM

365 posts, read 292,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I have accounts with both Schwab and Fidelity. While I have received a 1099-R from Fidelity, both have stated that 1099s for dividend, interest and capital gains/losses won't be sent until Feb 15. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I know that there are always seems to be issues with the timing of dividends declared/paid that aren't resolved until January. Also, if part of the 'dividend' involves repayment of capital, that can take time to identify. I'm just glad I no longer get K-1s, as those were never available until the end of Feb to mid-Mar and often got corrected later.
1099 are available online on the 1st of February.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,408,132 times
Quote:
1099 are available online on the 1st of February.
No, they were not. I checked my Schwab account yesterday and the 1099 was not yet there, and I just got an email from Schwab this afternoon stating that my 1099 is now in my account. My 1099 from Fidelity is not yet in my account and their correspondence has stated that it would be available on Feb 16. That's consistent wioth the timing over the last several years.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

18,091 posts, read 12,819,604 times
Not all 1099s have to be delivered by the end of January or even mid February. The rules have been relaxed to reduce the number of corrected 1099s and amended tax returns

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,739,157 times
I think I read somewhere that DIV statements don't have to go out until 2/15. I think it was on my ML site. Annoying because the government says to file early, but we have to wait and wait and wait for forms.

Mine is all in TurboTax but I'm still waiting for our Merrill-Lynch statements. Site says that most are ready for download on 2/1, but apparently that's a lie since mine isn't up and it's 2/14. And it's not as though it's anything complicated.

Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM

24,746 posts, read 31,891,057 times
CONSOLIDATED 1099’s do have a later deadline - 2/15. Standalone 1099s are held to the 1/31 deadline.

Old Today, 12:05 AM

9,572 posts, read 15,401,940 times
Quote:
3. Problem solved.
You really think the government gives a flip? They can barely manage to stay open, let alone enforce such laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics