U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:18 PM

15,889 posts, read 15,872,089 times

Advertisements

Junk-quality shoes..........good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 07:34 PM

28,989 posts, read 44,303,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ebay, Amazon, and the internet claim another victim. In general, most shoe stores will probably be closing eventually.

You just can't compete with the endless selection and prices of online retail products.
Many people, like me, will absolutely NOT buy shoes (or clothing) online - unless it's the exact "model" we already know and love, like my Dansko clogs I replace every year or two. I mean, how do you know it will fit and feel comfortable without trying them on? I know you can always return things to Amazon/wherever, but with my track record on returning anything within a strict time frame, I'd probably end up getting stuck with them.

So yeah, I highly doubt this signifies the end of brick & mortar shoe stores/departments in general. It's more likely specific to Payless, since (imo) their prices aren't quite low enough to justify the poor quality. Recently I was on the hunt for a good pair of winter boots, and thought I'd start with Payless... the only suitable pair I could find were around $60, and felt like cheap plastic instead of leather. I can get something much nicer at Macy's for the same price, if not less.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 PM

28,989 posts, read 44,303,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Zappos is great. But that will never replace walking into a shoe store/department and scouting for that perfect pair. Nope. Maybe for men it’s not a big deal.
Bingo. And you may be right about it being a man vs woman thing, since our shoes have much more variety (in terms of fit and comfort) to them... I've got my everyday clogs, sandals of varying "niceness," pumps/heels, sneakers, formal boots, informal/winter boots, etc. And I actually have a very SMALL collection of shoes compared to most women! I suppose it's easy to "wing it" online if you only have 2-3 varieties, and none of them are torture devices like ours can be.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 PM

24,827 posts, read 31,938,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Me either. While they have a web site, you can't order shoes from it.

I think if they would have allowed people to buy online they may not be going under
Nope. They DID offer online sales in the past. I checked out the site a couple of times to see if they had anything other than what I had seen in the stores. They just took that part of their site down as part of their preparations for closing.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:18 AM

1,229 posts, read 892,601 times
They sell bad shoes, they deserve it.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 PM

22,157 posts, read 16,328,965 times
How they ever survived with Rack Room, DSW, and all the other shoe retails is beyond me.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

9,678 posts, read 7,845,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Exactly. Shoes are something best bought in person. You really have to try them on to tell if they are going to fit and be comfortable. I suppose you can do that from an online purchaser, but there would be at least a 2-day delay between each pair of shoes. It would take forever.
... and no two pairs are alike. Because good shoes are hand made, sizing between different manufacturers can vary. Even two pairs of the exact same shoe may fit differently.

Old Today, 08:00 PM

8,145 posts, read 3,245,834 times
I've given up buying shoes online. I returned the first pair, and just gave the second pair to goodwill - you know the saying, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. For me, I HAVE to try the shoe on.

I buy almost all of my shoes in consignment resale stores. You can get WONDERFUL shoes, leather, that someone bought the wrong size for themselves and wore once. Or anyway, that's what I tell myself based on what it appears like. ;D

Payless was a horrible store. Terrible shoes, too pricey for the poor quality compared to resale. I'm very surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Old Today, 09:45 PM

4,066 posts, read 1,729,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ebay, Amazon, and the internet claim another victim. In general, most shoe stores will probably be closing eventually.

You just can't compete with the endless selection and prices of online retail products.
Shoes are an item I probably would not buy on line. Too much variance in the sizes and comforts. Returning them would be a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics