U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 02:18 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,423,647 times

Advertisements

I used to buy shoes there for my kids when they were little. But as they got to middle school years we didn't shop there any more. I've got another little one now and just picked up two pairs for him there during the closing sale. We didn't like anything at Target and were choosing between several pairs at Payless. So, I didn't think I would ever say this, but I will probably miss them.

We do order a number of shoes online, but that's when we know exactly what we want already. We all have a running shoe we really like and we just order the next version or even the same as what we already have of that shoe from Zappos or Nordstrom. There is a Broadway Shoes and Rack Room here in town too, so I guess we'll look there for our kiddos stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:20 AM

5,290 posts, read 3,616,372 times
I haven't bought shoes from Payless since the 90s. Went into the local store 3 or so years ago and the shoes were all crap. If I want crappy shoes I can go to Wal-Mart.

Old Today, 06:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,168 posts, read 53,048,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I haven't bought shoes from Payless since the 90s. Went into the local store 3 or so years ago and the shoes were all crap. If I want crappy shoes I can go to Wal-Mart.
I can't say that I ever set foot into a Payless shoe store, so I'm not going to miss it in the least. With my shoe size being the same since about 1968, I order most shoes online.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

1,300 posts, read 421,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
And life is too short to wear crappy shoes if you can afford better. I'd rather have one pair of really well-made shoes that are kind to my feet and last for years than buy multiple pairs of crappy shoes and throw them into the landfill every year so I can go out and buy new ones.

The decision is a little different if you have small children- they outgrow shoes so quickly- but my DDIL buys shoes for my granddaughters at a consignment shop and she gets good-quality shoes (they'd have to be or wouldn't last long enough to have a second life) at a low price.

I don't shed too many tears at the closure of businesses that sold mostly low-quality, short-lived goods made by slave labor in developing countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics