U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

8,507 posts, read 6,666,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
The federal tax can be considered an entry fee to play so the feds can get into everyone's pockets. We are paying taxes three and four times on products. There are taxes on the entire manufacturing process and the commodities used in the manufacturing process. Then the user pays a tax to have the pleasure of buying it.
That is where the real money is.
all sales tax is state/local. there is an 18 cent/gallon federal fuel tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

8,507 posts, read 6,666,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The guy making $5m a year pays way more taxes than you and says the same thing about the guy making $20m a year.
the guy making 5 is trying to figure out how to get to 20, not trying to figure out how to raise Mr 20's taxes.

they're both already in the top marginal rate.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 26,661 times
For many years we were getting on average around $9,000 back after filing our tax return. Last year we got nothing back and owed money. My husband is a retired pensioner and has a job. He picked up another part time gig this year so now he has two jobs. Our CPA here on Long Island just said we owed $11,000 in taxes even after my husband changed the withholding last year after we got hammered in taxes. Here on Long Island you need a minimum of $100,00 a year to survive. In other states if you made that yearly salary you would be considered wealthy. Here on Long Island you are just getting by especially since average property taxes on a 1700 square foot shack on a postage stamp sized piece of land is $12,000+ a year.

My husband said "why bother trying to work hard, if they are just going to take it away?". He is going to quit his second job because what is the sense as we will be taxed through the roof. The sick part is he knows a guy who is a bum. This middle aged guy, let's call him "Roy" weighs 350 pounds. This guy eats 9 Mcdonalds cheeseburgers and 3 large fries in one visit to the drive thru, and sits around on his rump all day and doesn't work because of "health problems" that he caused himself by being a glutton and smoking all day. Roy gets government handouts, a free Obama cell phone and free healthcare and complains he can't work because his ankles and knees are no good. He is in and out of the hospital because he gets "chest pains" all the time after eating another one of his gluttonous meals and we taxpayers are subsidizing people like this. Here on Long Island cigarettes are $11 a pack. "Roy" always has a pack of smokes.

He told my husband the government gives him $4,500 a month and pays for him to stay in hotel rooms at the Days Inn. They pay for hotel rooms for him due to the lack of room in halfway houses in Nassau County, Long Island. He also gets a $50 meal allowance per day to buy food. My family of 4 doesn't even eat $50 a worth of meals a day! The people like my husband who are go getters, end up getting penalized for working harder than the "Roys" of the world. How is this fair?! And the add insult to injury we are paying so that "Roy" can suck down 9 cheeseburgers and 3 large fries and watch daytime soap operas all day. The kicker is "Roy" had the nerve to complain because he used to get more disability pay and welfare under Obama and was moaning about Trump taking some of his freebies away. RANT OVER.

Last edited by dk1111; Today at 02:30 PM..

Old Today, 04:06 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,763,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
For many years we were getting on average around $9,000 back after filing our tax return. Last year we got nothing back and owed money. My husband is a retired pensioner and has a job. He picked up another part time gig this year so now he has two jobs. Our CPA here on Long Island just said we owed $11,000 in taxes even after my husband changed the withholding last year after we got hammered in taxes. Here on Long Island you need a minimum of $100,00 a year to survive. In other states if you made that yearly salary you would be considered wealthy. Here on Long Island you are just getting by especially since average property taxes on a 1700 square foot shack on a postage stamp sized piece of land is $12,000+ a year.

My husband said "why bother trying to work hard, if they are just going to take it away?". He is going to quit his second job because what is the sense as we will be taxed through the roof. The sick part is he knows a guy who is a bum. This middle aged guy, let's call him "Roy" weighs 350 pounds. This guy eats 9 Mcdonalds cheeseburgers and 3 large fries in one visit to the drive thru, and sits around on his rump all day and doesn't work because of "health problems" that he caused himself by being a glutton and smoking all day. Roy gets government handouts, a free Obama cell phone and free healthcare and complains he can't work because his ankles and knees are no good. He is in and out of the hospital because he gets "chest pains" all the time after eating another one of his gluttonous meals and we taxpayers are subsidizing people like this. Here on Long Island cigarettes are $11 a pack. "Roy" always has a pack of smokes.

He told my husband the government gives him $4,500 a month and pays for him to stay in hotel rooms at the Days Inn. They pay for hotel rooms for him due to the lack of room in halfway houses in Nassau County, Long Island. He also gets a $50 meal allowance per day to buy food. My family of 4 doesn't even eat $50 a worth of meals a day! The people like my husband who are go getters, end up getting penalized for working harder than the "Roys" of the world. How is this fair?! And the add insult to injury we are paying so that "Roy" can suck down 9 cheeseburgers and 3 large fries and watch daytime soap operas all day. The kicker is "Roy" had the nerve to complain because he used to get more disability pay and welfare under Obama and was moaning about Trump taking some of his freebies away. RANT OVER.
Leave Long Island and you won't have to pay the high property tax. Was your husband a recipient of the high property taxes to pay his salary/bennies/pension?

Think Roy's numbers are off. Food stamps don't pay $50 a day ($1500 a month) for a single person.

Give your money away and live like Roy if you think it is so good.

Old Today, 06:46 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,763,437 times
Re read my above post and it is too snarky in reply. dk1111 I would like to say taxes are indeed frustrating, but taxes are part of choices we make. I too live on LI and as a consequence of that choice pay higher property and state taxes than many in the country. Right now due to proximity to family and employment, I will bear with living here. That decision may change in the future.

Your household has significant enough income to require paying substantial federal income tax. Well that income gives you a better quality of life due to having more income to buy things. If you don't want to pay that much in taxes, have your husband give up the second job, but be cognizant of the drop in disposable income.

Roy may seem to have it better than you, but would you really want to live that life? I think you are too intelligent and civilized to want to veg out in hotel rooms all day eating garbage.

Tax return time always gets folks in a bad mood, myself included. Again sorry for the snarky previous reply, I forgot that I was no longer on the Politics forum, lol

Old Today, 06:58 PM

80 posts, read 26,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Re read my above post and it is too snarky in reply. dk1111 I would like to say taxes are indeed frustrating, but taxes are part of choices we make. I too live on LI and as a consequence of that choice pay higher property and state taxes than many in the country. Right now due to proximity to family and employment, I will bear with living here. That decision may change in the future.

Your household has significant enough income to require paying substantial federal income tax. Well that income gives you a better quality of life due to having more income to buy things. If you don't want to pay that much in taxes, have your husband give up the second job, but be cognizant of the drop in disposable income.

Roy may seem to have it better than you, but would you really want to live that life? I think you are too intelligent and civilized to want to veg out in hotel rooms all day eating garbage.

Tax return time always gets folks in a bad mood, myself included. Again sorry for the snarky previous reply, I forgot that I was no longer on the Politics forum, lol
Yes, I guess we are in a bad mood about this, lol. It really stinks because we try hard to be the best we can be, working hard and being producers. Then we see guys like Roy getting away with all sorts of sneaky things while he brags and without saying so, passive aggressively call us idiots for working so hard. It stings a little.

And no way would we want Roy's life. I thank god every day we are in a better position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics