U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2019, 08:31 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,104,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The fact is over the last several years US private R&D spending has expanded strongly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 AM

1,148 posts, read 523,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
How did I not make it? Now your are just being argumentative for the sake of it. Don't make assumptions based on things I said that you don't understand.
I understood you just fine. This is how things went:

We need high taxes on the wealthy

Quote:
Now they are ~17%. Per the 3rd richest guy in the world.

As I said many times, the purpose of high taxes isn't to extract $$$ from the wealthy, but to steer their wealth towards invention and productive infrastructure in the US
The country was better when there were high taxes on corporations

Quote:
When taxes were high a company would do whatever was necessary to avoid having income that would be taxed at a high rate. Like investing in and expanding their business, or even increasing employee wages and benefits. This is what was done when our economy grew the fastest. Unions were strong then, so companies had a lot of pressure to increase wages if they were doing well.
The wealthy are taking their money out of the US economy and investing it overseas

Quote:
instead of encouraging them to extract cash and invest overseas, and inflate assets (RE and stocks being the main ones).
Corporations have sent all jobs and investment overseas

Quote:
Then the US encouraged companies to move production overseas and they'd retain easy access to US markets ("free" trade).

Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
I understood you just fine.
Good. There was a lot more, but that is something. Then what part do you not understand?

Old 06-04-2019, 08:49 AM

1,148 posts, read 523,448 times
Quote:
Good. There was a lot more, but that is something. Then what part do you not understand?
no worries, I understand you perfectly

Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM

8,309 posts, read 9,063,524 times
ruff your chart doesn't say what you think it does and further pay attention to the last 9 or 10 years. The claim you made earlier is abjectly false and know it.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
ruff your chart doesn't say what you think it does and further pay attention to the last 9 or 10 years. The claim you made earlier is abjectly false and know it.
Since I showed *your* source for this info, I imagine you were looking at it in raw $$$... which is a completely useless metric.

The chart clearly shows that domestic investment has been on a downward trend for 40 years.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM

30,988 posts, read 13,558,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Most people aren't aware of this because they are too stupid and brainwashed and jealous. They think they deserve all the money rich people have and are just as good as them, when in reality they aren't. They think rich people pay LESS taxes, then when they are educated that they actually pay MORE taxes, they jump to other arguments out of frustration.
wow...just wow.. Rich people are better than the rest of us

Old 06-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
wow...just wow.. Rich people are better than the rest of us
Hey, they are better at getting rich! That's pretty much the only thing that matters isn't it?

It wouldn't bother me at all that the rich keep getting richer... if it didn't have such a negative affect on the economy, living standards, democracy, etc...

Old 06-04-2019, 11:25 AM

8,309 posts, read 9,063,524 times
Quote:
Since I showed *your* source for this info, I imagine you were looking at it in raw $$$... which is a completely useless metric.

The chart clearly shows that domestic investment has been on a downward trend for 40 years.
1). As a percentage of GDP only (due to the way you linked that pic I can't read it very well).

2). The last several years are strongly up using the same metrics.

3). You can dance around it as much as you want but private sector R&D spending is way up over the last several years.

In summation the silly comments you made above claiming that tax policy and corporate greed has damaged R&D spending and investment are just wrong.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:28 PM

1) "As a percentage of GDP only". That happens to be the only sensible way to look at it.

2&3) Sure it's up from the all time low reached in 2009, but it hasn't even made it as high as the low point we hit after the 2001 recession!

You can't seriously believe you are making substantive points?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or