U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM

2,173 posts, read 531,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Like creators of multi-trillion $ financial scams? Offshore money laundering and tax dodging scams? Massive lobbying in Washington? Leveraging monopoly power and political influence? AI trading programs? Pumping RE values, stock values, etc? Frivolous lawsuits? Buying patents and then suing companies for infringement? Clever ways to get people addicted to **** they don't need? etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 09:03 AM

2,173 posts, read 531,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The game I most often run into is when someone at work wants to be lazy and unaccountable for their job.
It sounds like the manager of such a person is not doing her job.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM

659 posts, read 276,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

I think simply establishing laws helping prop up private sector unions, removing the cap on social security taxes (while still maintaining a Max payout), raising capital gains taxes over a certain amount, and a Medicare for all option for everyone could do wonders. As it stands the very rich usually only pay about 20% of their income in taxes, while middle class people pay a much larger amount.
I am guessing that you are all for raising these taxes because someone else will pay more, but you won’t. Secondly, can you provide a link comparing the effective tax rates of middle class to your definition of those that are rich?

Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,750,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
I am guessing that you are all for raising these taxes because someone else will pay more, but you won’t. Secondly, can you provide a link comparing the effective tax rates of middle class to your definition of those that are rich?
That’s the CD special. The horrible taxes start at the level they’ll never reach.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:54 PM

356 posts, read 109,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Don't you just love the, "loophole" shuffle?
A loophole would be like how corporations pay zero taxes and super rich people pay zero or a small amount above zero.
Like how Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his office persons. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ower-tax-rate/

So, maybe you don't like the word loophole, maybe that's the wrong word?

Let's say, "legal tax breaks". Does that wording make you feel better?

Like these 60 Fortune 500 companies who paid zero in 2018 using legal tax breaks, for example:
https://itep.org/60-fortune-500-comp...r-new-tax-law/

Is it fair to you that these companies paid zero income tax in 2018 under the new tax law while people barely getting by on low income jobs ARE paying taxes?

I'm sure you've seen this, but for those who haven't:
Warren Buffett pays a lower tax rate than his secretary.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ower-tax-rate/

Is it fair that a multi-millionaire pays a lower tax rate than his office workers because he makes money on investments, not on working-for-a-liviing?

If you think it is, then I'd guess you don't work for a living (maybe never have); I'd guess then that your "work" is investing and looking for and using legal tax breaks on your investments.

Or do you just defend the 1% because you think or hope someday you'll be like them? (if you're not now, you won't)

Last edited by movingvanmorrison; 06-17-2019 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 07:25 PM

356 posts, read 109,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post

See my post above as well.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM

602 posts, read 137,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
A loophole would be like how corporations pay zero taxes and super rich people pay zero or a small amount above zero.
Like how Warren Buffet pays a lower tax rate than his office persons. https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...ower-tax-rate/

So, maybe you don't like the word loophole, maybe that's the wrong word?

Let's say, "legal tax breaks". Does that wording make you feel better?

Like these 60 Fortune 500 companies who paid zero in 2018 using legal tax breaks, for example:

Is it fair to you that these companies paid zero income tax in 2018 under the new tax law while people barely getting by on low income jobs ARE paying taxes?

I'm sure you've seen this, but for those who haven't:
Warren Buffett pays a lower tax rate than his secretary.

Is it fair that a multi-millionaire pays a lower tax rate than his office workers because he makes money on investments, not on working-for-a-liviing?

If you think it is, then I'd guess you don't work for a living (maybe never have); I'd guess then that your "work" is investing and looking for and using legal tax breaks on your investments.

Or do you just defend the 1% because you think or hope someday you'll be like them? (if you're not now, you won't)

Name a single legal tax break and explain how it works...

Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,625,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
It sounds like the manager of such a person is not doing her job.
That is the sick expectation of many, isn't it. Manager do my job for me or it won't get done.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:08 PM

1,149 posts, read 524,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Any article that talks about companies getting a "federal tax rebate" can not be taken seriously.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:32 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,750,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Any article that talks about companies getting a "federal tax rebate" can not be taken seriously.
Yeah...

Of the many laughable things they said, the dislike of tax depreciation is what always gets me. The writer of course doesn’t recognize that that tax depreciation these big mean corporations took to pay “zero taxes” is now a deferred tax liability. As it unwinds they will have to pay more tax in the future. The only way to offset this DTL reversal would be to keep up a high degree of newcapital spending in the future...which is what the government is trying to incentivize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or